Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have concluded that Vari-Wall is never going to make another bike tube. I hope I'm wrong about that, but the signs aren't particularly good.

As such, I'm thinking about having a run of downtubes made with roughly the following configurations:
-44.5mm x 1/.7/1 Probably 100/200mm butts to allow use on a variety of frames (ie tandems)
-38.1 x 1/.7/1 Not sure on butt profile but I'd lean toward generous butts here too.

They would be just plain jane 4130, presumably made by Fairing (they're the folks who make my fork blades and seat tubes). Cost would be in the $25-30 range I think.

I'm mostly retired these days so I can go have fun with my wife and kids (and a third kid is coming in August!) so I'm not particularly interested in having a dozen boxes more tubes in my basement for years. So...

How many people here would be interested in such tubes?

Feel free to pass this on to interested builders/friends who don't read the forum if you'd like.

Thanks!

-Walt

·
Registered
214 Posts
wait, you're RETIRED?! Third kid? Whaaat?

I'm down with 5 of the 44's. I agree with PVD go with 900 and maybe a 250-300mm butt length on one end. Definitely 1/7/1 or 1/7/9.
There are options in 38mm so i'd say go with the 44 only.

thanks
I'll second the preference for 1/.7/.9 if it's possible and not cost prohibitive. Also, I'll actually commit to 3, these are sounding good.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wait, you're RETIRED?! Third kid? Whaaat?

I'm down with 5 of the 44's. I agree with PVD go with 900 and maybe a 250-300mm butt length on one end. Definitely 1/7/1 or 1/7/9.
There are options in 38mm so i'd say go with the 44 only.

thanks
Well, I'm not quitting building. I have just turned it into a part-time/retirement gig where I try to keep it under 20 hours a week. Framebuilding has been very good to me and I still enjoy it, but I have no need or desire to work a ton.

I just heard from Andy at Strawberry that Reynolds is making this tube (850mm long, 44x1/7/1) so that may obviate the whole idea. Sounds like they expect them to be available in about 2-3 weeks.

-Walt

·
Registered
901 Posts
Came back here to point out the Nova tube which is long but I agree probably too thin/narrow for a frame that’s either going to be used like a frame with a 600mm reach should be, by Andre the Giant, or both.

OTOH, while practical, 44.5 x 1/.7/1 x 850mm sounds like an instrument used in a framebuilder themed version of Clue.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SO, everyone: I have confirmed with Andy that Reynolds is making this tube (the 44mm one in 1/7/1 x 850). He is only, as of now, planning to import a dozen or so with his next shipment.

If you want him to order more/put you on the list for some, please drop him a line. I'm not going to post his email here for fear of spambots, but here's the contact page for Strawberry:
Strawberry Cyclesport Inc. Contact Information

As of now I'm going to skip making any downtubes, as it seems like the need is being filled by Reynolds.

-Walt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.