Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the old adage " My SS has 3 gears..sit, stand and walk" , but do many of you actually
walk hills?? I won't lie I have walked plenty, but I find that I hate it the more I ride!!

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I walked a LOT of hills this past weekend. HATED every second of it but figured it's part of single speeding, especially being a new single speeder.

·
One Gear
1,078 Posts
There are 2 steep hills where I ride and I walk them both. On a geared bike, I can climb the steepest one, but it's it the 22/32 combo. When I am walking, so are most of the geared bikes. It's all good!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Like S. Teel said, by the time I am walking I'm usually just as fast as the geared riders in their grannies. Personally I enjoy it and feel no shame. It's part of the reason flats are so nice, makes walking comfortable.

·
rebmem rbtm
180 Posts
This is my first season on a SS and I'm trying to ride everything I ride on my geared bike. I like the challenge the full rigid SS brings, it definitely makes you stronger. When I have to walk I try to do so right away to keep my heart rate up and increase my cardio.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I have a few spots on my local routes where I run out of torque: steep, steep and bumpy, bumpy but not all that steep. Sometimes I connect the do.... - trail sections - so that I ride down those spots but sometimes the other side is more fun to ride down.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
if you can't ride a hill, you get off the bike, go back to the bottom, and try again. repeat until you clean the hill or exhaustion takes over and you move on. I have attempted ascents 6 or 8 times until I made it to the top or gave up and walked. this is fine when you are riding alone, but with other riders, no one wants to wait while you make multiple attempts.

I find that I ride strong enough and gear low enough that I can clean most of the hills that my friends on squishy geared bikes can do. it takes me more effort because I have to keep going fast, whereas they can shift down and grind up the hill slowly. but if a hill is really that brutal, most of us don't make it with multiple gears or just one.

·
Combat Wombat
1,751 Posts
Yep, unless you are into going real slow everywhere else, there are trails with hills that you are going to walk with a SS. It is all part of the challenge. I remember several years ago while staffing a 24 hour event, watching a certain gentleman that could do an amazing cyclo cross dismount. He could dismount while still carrying plenty of speed, shoulder his SS and outrun nearly every geared bike crawling up the hills. He told me that this was part of his training regimen. Of course this guy also raced the La Ruta.

·
Registered
610 Posts
There are 2 major hills where I ride, one at around 35-45 degree incline for about 200m, the other about 50-60 degree incline for about 80m. It makes me feel like throwing up after the first hill but I walked that hill only twice or so. The second one, I've made it about 2/3 way once, and I always walk that hill.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I like what Mack turtle said. I'll try a section time and again until I can do it or bow in submission to the trail (but I always leave with a thirst for vengeance when the trail wins out!!!). when it's time to walk, though, I usually run up the hill - that way, i dont give it time to kick my a$$ twice! :)

1 - 20 of 140 Posts