Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about selling my road bike and using my MCR9 for road training, I have an extra wheelset with 700 x 25 road tires mounted. Is anyone else doing this or should I keep the road bike that I rarely ride. Thanks Brian

·
Registered
153 Posts
I train on the road with my 29er with MTB tires. A lot of people I know who race XC do the same. It's what the pros do. You won't go as fast as if you were riding a road a bike and you will eat through tires quicker but if you're training for riding a MTB and don't regularly do group rides on the road then why not.

Not 29er specific but there is a good thread on this in the XC Racing section.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
firefighterdirt said:
I'm thinking about selling my road bike and using my MCR9 for road training, I have an extra wheelset with 700 x 25 road tires mounted. Is anyone else doing this or should I keep the road bike that I rarely ride. Thanks Brian
I love 29"ers for road riding. I can't imagine taking the true advantage of an MTB away though, with those 25mm tires. It will do the job, but you already have a good roadbike, what's wrong with that that's good with the same skinnies on an MCR?

·
3,707 Posts
I'd rather be on my road bike on the road. I see no advantage riding your 29er on the street vs a road bike.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Pros to riding a road bike are going faster and efficiency.

Pros to riding the MTB are if you get bored you can start jumping ****, hopping curbs and riding through peoples lawns kicking over yard gnomes.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yea, I do for fun. Hartail only, sette razzo, reb 09 u-turn lockout out or switch to black ops carbon fork (the: i decide to stay with big ring boys fork) for a few days (about 25 lbs).
Lightweight wheels built up with wtb nano raps (at about 75 psi) Tubed ! Other non-road mountain wheels are 2.25 Ardents built up ghetto tubless. Nanos work well lose the pressure when I get to singletrac and borrow a pump and re-inflate for ride home.
I will jump on a road group ride before or after hitting the singletrac on a big loop home. Years ago did this with 26" knob tires but got sick of having to keep em rolling. Only do this now because it's much easier with the bigger wheels.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I think most racers, in particular pros, train on road bikes. Maybe some don't, but I know I've seen a number of them over the years.

I've also found riding the road bike and the MTB compliment one another really well. The road bike develops your spin, aerobic systems, pack riding skillz, and other things. The MTB develops your bike handling, quick decision making, ability to deal with unexpected obstacles, and aerobic threshold riding. Over the years, some of the guys I've seen who are the best in either discipline also did a bit of riding/racing of both.

Besides, it gives me an excuse to have more bikes!:thumbsup:

I love both.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I do. After making the switch to a hard-tail Niner Air 9, I sold my road bike. While I loved the Cannondale, it didn't seem right to leave it hanging and collecting dust in the garage. 1-year later I have no regrets.
My road rides consist of pumping the tires up to their (individual) max pressure, hitting the lock-out lever, and rolling out of the driveway. Easy and fun.

J

·
Virtus pre nummis
367 Posts
eastspur said:
I train on the road with my 29er with MTB tires. A lot of people I know who race XC do the same. It's what the pros do. You won't go as fast as if you were riding a road a bike and you will eat through tires quicker but if you're training for riding a MTB and don't regularly do group rides on the road then why not.

Not 29er specific but there is a good thread on this in the XC Racing section.
I'm new to cycling as an adult. Of course I had a bike when I was a kid back in the 60's but that was 40 years ago. Before I invested a lot of money in a bike, especially at my age, I wan't to see if my old body would hold up after so many years of not riding. I bought an old Raleigh 20 MTB but I couldn't figure out the gearing. The tires were too small for my weight at 280lbs. So back on Craigslist it went where I had bought it from for $100 bucks. I sold it for $90 bucks so that worked out pretty. well.

I was talking to a friend who lives in Utah and he was telling me about a Kona Smoke 29 that he bought so I decieded to look at 29's because of my size. I looked at a loy of bikes and settled for a Monocog 29er. It came stock with Weirwolf knobby's on a 21" Chromoly frame. That's a lot of bike for an old man to push around. Putting new Schwalbe Big Apple 29er's on it today with new disc brakes to stop this brusier! I bought this bike for the sole purpose of riding on city streets! Those Big Apply's are really make that bike a crusier!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Hell yes...my D440's my go-to bike for everything. Pump up the Nano's (or not) pedal away. Am I as fast as when I had my roadie? I am not. Do I care? I do not. What's the point? You're pushing just as hard, maybe harder with those fat tires, and you're getting some plushness. Don't underestimate plushness! I did a half century recently on my D440 with the stock Nano's. My time was abysmal...I used to do it in 3 hrs on my roadie, took me closer to 5 hours on my D440. But, I was less wiped out, because i was way more comfortable than when riding bent over, in that stoopid roadie position. I could actually see the countryside I was riding thru...what a revelation! I often wonder what the hell is the point of doing a century with a group of roadies, if you have to constantly keep your eyes on the guy's butt in front of you to keep from causing a group crash....insanity!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Yes I do!

I own 3 bikes and none of them are road bikes.

I just took my El Mar. for a 60 km road ride on Sat. and then another 10km of road split up with 22km of single track on Sun.

90+ km on the weekend isn't too bad for an MTB

Drew

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
It's a funny thread. If you do group road rides, then you better do them on your road bike or you would get dropped. If you do longish rides (80mi +) then I would do them on the road bike (higher average speed - less saddle time). If you just want to commute - it does not matter what bike you use.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I forgot one thing - I like my road bike on the road because it's like riding a superbike.

Ripping a turn at 40 mph or sprinting up a hill just doesn't feel the same on a heavier ride w/ bigger and more flexible tires and angles meant for dirt. My road bike could be a lot lighter, but it is already ~6 pounds lighter than my 29er.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I ride on the road all the time with my 29er, I do have a road bike (2 of them actually) but around the city, a 29er works great because our roads are crap.
I built up a set of racing wheels for trail riding and swap out to the stock wheels with a slick for riding in the city on the street.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have two wheelsets for my MCR - one of which is set up with some 32mm road tires (tubeless) that I use for commuting. At 25 miles each way my commute is a little long for fat tires. While it would be great training, my commute already takes up enough time and I would hate to wear out a good set of knobby tires on the pavement - seems like a waste.

The only downside that I notice is that I because of gearing and ride position I max out at 33-34 MPH on downhills - I expect that I could do much better, especially on the long descents, on a road bike.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,398 Posts
This bike is more comfortable than a roadie, not that I've ridden many, corners like a superbike with the 35mm tires, stops on a dime, and you can still jump curbs. :D
I def. need the 44T big ring to make it really work. Like mentioned, aero position is not really good, but just did 70mi. on road on Fathers' Day, then swapped and did 25 in the dirt later that week.

Swap tires and you're good for dirt.

It's almost always shod with knobbies, though.

-F

·
3,707 Posts
rshughes said:
The only downside that I notice is that I because of gearing and ride position I max out at 33-34 MPH on downhills - I expect that I could do much better, especially on the long descents, on a road bike.
Not only that, but the more aerodynamic position will play a big part on the faster downhill portions, too. I also love how climbing is so much easier on the road bike.

Fleas said:
This bike is more comfortable than a roadie, not that I've ridden many, corners like a superbike with the 35mm tires, stops on a dime, and you can still jump curbs. :D
I def. need the 44T big ring to make it really work. Like mentioned, aero position is not really good, but just did 70mi. on road on Fathers' Day, then swapped and did 25 in the dirt later that week.
If that bike is more comfortable than a road bike, then your road bike doesn't fit you. I feel comfortable on all of my mtn and road bikes. And my road bike stops just fine for me.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hey fleas,

What bars are you using? Do they have any rise?

I was thinking about flipping my stem to acquire more of a drop to my position, but I'm running risers and figure it may be pointless.

I have my dillinger set up just like yours, aside from the 2.3 big apples. I am running 2:1, but would def like to go to a 38t or 40t in front; I'm afraid my frame will lack the clearance though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts