Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since last year I've been pretty good at smearing sunblock all over me during the warm weather months. Even though I'm pretty dark skinned (caramelly mocha'ish), I figure better safe than sorry. Sometimes though I'm either too damn lazy or just forget the bottle at home.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You are wise to use sunscreen regardless of your skin type. Even if you do not sunburn you are still speeding up the aging process. An interesting note is that the SPF number is only applicable to UVB rays. UVB rays cause sunburn. UVA rays cause the deep tissue damage. Both are damaging but the UVA rays have a greater chance of causing skin cancer. I have read that you should look for either avobenzone(parasol), zinc oxide or titanium oxide if you want the best UVA protection.

I do use sunscreen on just about every ride. I hate the greasy feeling just like everyone else does but it is a must for me.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Should do :rolleyes: but on early rides, they start so early the sun isn't even up yet and the sunscreen is sticky and makes you hot so I wait for it to warm up a bit and ultimately forget. Then I get home w/ a helmet and neck burn and it's the sun that then kicks my a$$ for the rest of the day, not the 50, 60, 70 miles I've riden (mostly on the road rides I have this problem).

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
My Dad uses sunblock daily. He's had over 32 skin cancers on his face. All squoimous cell carcinoma(forgive my spelling., please). I try to use it as much as posible, but I still get **** eyes. Does anyone recomend a product that's sweat/water proof and has at least a SPF of 30? Every sunblock I use, rinses off with a good sweat.

·
Nothing here
757 Posts
Anonymous said:
My Dad uses sunblock daily. He's had over 32 skin cancers on his face. All squoimous cell carcinoma(forgive my spelling., please). I try to use it as much as posible, but I still get **** eyes. Does anyone recomend a product that's sweat/water proof and has at least a SPF of 30? Every sunblock I use, rinses off with a good sweat.
Coppertone Sport is non greasy and has a SPF of 48.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Definitely, being mostly Irish it means no tanning, just freckle & burn, every year.

I put it on my arms each morning to last for the commute, but since I do my laps after work, don't bother to reapply it.

If it's a midday ride for a couple of hours, I'll put it on my legs as well. Regular makeup has zinc oxide but I don't put it on until I get to work.

The L'Oreal sounds good but must be an expensive brand. I like Banana Boat Sport SPF 30, worked during the AZ Spring Fling so that's enough to convince me!

I've heard that anything over SPF 30 is marketing nonsense, as 30 is the highest #? Something along those lines.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Always...

BelaySlave said:
Since last year I've been pretty good at smearing sunblock all over me during the warm weather months. Even though I'm pretty dark skinned (caramelly mocha'ish), I figure better safe than sorry. Sometimes though I'm either too damn lazy or just forget the bottle at home.
I learned from my mother inlaw. She's in her late 60s and looks like she's in her early 50s. She tells me it is because she wore sunblock on her face every day she goes outside at all since she was 30ish. The lady looks like Jackie O, I shiz you not.

I try to slather on some SPF 30 or higher whenever I'm going to be outside, work or play, and repeat every two hours.

I have more my father's Mexican skin tone. I only started getting sunbuned when I turned 30 for some odd reason, which is when I started wearing sunblock. Yeah, I know, I'm just not that smart.

·
Registered
102 Posts
uv rays year round

Squating Goat said:
You are wise to use sunscreen regardless of your skin type. Even if you do not sunburn you are still speeding up the aging process. An interesting note is that the SPF number is only applicable to UVB rays. UVB rays cause sunburn. UVA rays cause the deep tissue damage. Both are damaging but the UVA rays have a greater chance of causing skin cancer. I have read that you should look for either avobenzone(parasol), zinc oxide or titanium oxide if you want the best UVA protection.

I do use sunscreen on just about every ride. I hate the greasy feeling just like everyone else does but it is a must for me.
squating goat is absolutely correct. the best uvA prectection is either parasol or the other stuff that makes you look like a ghost(zinc oxide & titanium dioxide. if you want what is available in the US and most effective, use these type of products.
(uvB causes sun tan but uvA causes skin cancer)you need to remember that the UV rays are there year round (summer, fall, winter, spring, sunny day or rainy days). avoid 10am-2pm and remember to carry to sunscreen with you to have a 2nd, 3rd application.

·
Registered
202 Posts
another vote for the coppertone sport

I really like the coppertone sport, it's the new one in the aerosol can. it works really well, it definately stays through sweat as well. I sweat like CRAZY and it stays well on me. Since it is in the can it also applies really quickly, not much rubbing or anything, i really like it

·
feeling squirrelly
712 Posts
SPF 30 every ride!! Like an earlier post I use Coppertone Sport. If you have a Costco nearby you can get a two bottle pack there for around $8.00. I like the spray it is easy to use and feels very light on the skin and it never sweats/runs into my eyes. I keep one in my bike bag, one in the car and one near where I stash my helmet at home, that way I never foget to apply it.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
BelaySlave said:
I always wear sunscreen on every ride.

Several years ago I developed basal skin cancer between my left eye and the temple and had a patch of skin slightly larger than the size of a nickel removed from my face. For a week after the surgery I had one heck of a shiner and a great big patch on my face.

Spending most of my free time in outdoors in sunny Idaho for more than twenty years caused the problem. There's some indication that low levels of arsenic in the water also contribute to skin cancer, so that might have been a factor, given that the Boise area has fairly high levels of arsenic.

Anyways, skin cancer is quite a common problem, so if you plan on living for a while, and like the skin you're in, wear sunscreen or a hat.

Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.