Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
34,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used it before but it's been awhile. But this allergy season is significant and I'm thinking of taking up again.

Grass allergies are my enemy and the grass seeds are about to explode in the coming week.

Who's in to it? Pros, cons? How often?

I use Claritin and Allegra otherwise but they are making me so groggy.

·
always licking the glass
2,374 Posts
Use it but only with distilled water. Don't even wash it with tap water. It's wonderful for keeping sinus infections at bay.

Have you looked into allergy shots? They helped me considerably when I in NorCal.

·
Registered
11,036 Posts
I used one when I had bad sinus issue and found it very effective. Horrible to use but yeah, it worked well.

·
Mtbr Founder
34,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
brain eating bacteria ftw! It survived the distilling process?

I heard this happened in the east coast where they using tap water, with brain eating bacteria.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Although it has been a while, I own and use one. Mostly on days when the sinus pressure won't go away.

For me it is more useful when I'm stuffy, unlike those that say they will simply blow their nose.

It is definitely a weird feeling, but I do feel better after the fact.

I was asked by a doctor to try it a number of years back when I had a sinus infection.
It's important to use the salt too, water itself will burn the heck out of you!!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
No Neti pot unless you are religious in your routine for cleanliness. The hands down best allergy medicine is Benadryl. Take two AT BEDTIME and get the most effective allergy relief out there and it double duties as a sleep aid and slight food allergy buffer. Also good for those of us with EO. Next up, if you have bad allergies like me, do a Zyrtec nightly. Zyrtec has been proven far and away the best allergy medicine (Unique mode of mechanism). If you’re REALLY bad, like me, also get a prescription for generic Flonase. Take it all at night and you will be on *almost* full dose mostly OTC allergy regime. The next step is steroid inhalers for both your throat and lungs which have serious side effects. After that is biologics which I don’t recommend unless you are in the life/death allergy scenario.

/biochemist out

·
Nobody
647 Posts
I don't use the pot because when my allergies are really bad, I need some force. I use the nasal rinse squeeze bottle and am very careful with how much pressure I use. I only use it occasionally (maybe once a month or so) and I always use distilled water with the little saline powder pack from the same brand. I bought a box of 100 of them years ago.

If you don't use distilled water, it can be very painful depending on what minerals and chemicals are in your tap water.

I also heat the water to luke warm for comfort. I don't if nasal rinse really helps me, but I like the idea of being able to flush out the passage.

I went through allergy shots about 7 years ago and quit after about 6 months because my work travel made impossible to keep up the weekly schedule. However, I got a good solid 5 years of relief from the shots. My allergy doctor admitted that only about 60% of patients actually get noticeable relief. I also had a couple full on attacks immediately after shots because they are always upping the dosage to build your tolerance and sometimes you will react.

As for grogginess, you need to experiment with different available pills. I have found that Claritin gave me sleepless nights, clarinex made me drowsy, but Zirtec, if taken daily, is a huge help to my seasonal allergies and I seem to have no side affects from it. Nasal steroidal sprays just trigger sneezing fits for me so it never has a chance to work.

I would suggest meeting with allergy doctors until you find one that is interested in finding "YOUR" solution. Many of them just want to give you 8 different prescriptions, hoping that something will work. I have no interest in that!

I truly wish you good luck because I have had many miserable years of allergy suffering and it can really affect your ability to enjoy life when it gets bad.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
No Neti pot unless you are religious in your routine for cleanliness. The hands down best allergy medicine is Benadryl. Take two AT BEDTIME and get the most effective allergy relief out there and it double duties as a sleep aid and slight food allergy buffer. Also good for those of us with EO. Next up, if you have bad allergies like me, do a Zyrtec nightly. Zyrtec has been proven far and away the best allergy medicine (non-Antihistamine-based). If you’re REALLY bad, like me, also get a prescription for generic Flonase. Take it all at night and you will be on *almost* full dose mostly OTC allergy regime. The next step is steroid inhalers for both your throat and lungs which have serious side effects. After that is biologics which I don’t recommend unless you are in the life/death allergy scenario.

/biochemist out
What do you mean in regard to 'routine cleanliness'.

·
Mtbr Founder
34,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you roughster and shamus. Golden info for me and others

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use one when I have a cold or sinus infection. I have not tired it for my allergies. I think I would have to use it a number of times a day.... just using a saline spray may be better.

My allergies have been super bad this year and I have been using the Costco branded version of Flonase, which is way cheaper then the brand-name stuff. It seems to be working, most days.

Good luck with the allergies, hopefully the pollen goes away soon!

·
Mtbr Founder
34,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i use the NeilMed bottle, go ride on a dusty day and watch the junk that comes out after
I like that one. Super easy to use. They seem to want you to dispose of it pretty frequently which is not cool. More revenue maybe.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts