Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
huh?
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I blame DHJ? Dog? CCR9? My LBS? This snow covered wasteland called Minnesota? The local MTB'ers showing off their new steeds? Or any number of you Haro hoodlums doing the same thing?

After looking at my V4 long and hard, I came up with a plan. I had to play all my cards perfectly. I swapped a few parts around, such as pulled the hydros off the V4 and put the BB7's back on. Then took inventory of what was left, what I could use, what would fit...

Then I went and cozied up to the wife. Asked all the right questions, seeming like I actually cared about how the daycare was going, asked if I could help out with the afternoon snack. Started a load of laundry, loaded the dishwasher. All is going great.

I went to the computer and started looking around, and found what I've wanted for 2+ years now. The first full squish machine I was able to take out on a trail. A ride I fell in love with, but was way out of my budget.

I then approached my wife, and started talking (ok, bribe is more like it), and it worked.

This afternoon, I pulled the trigger on a Sonix LT frame! :cornut:

I have everything needed except a fork, BB, seat post clamp, and front der. Man, I'm stoked!

So, I believe I need a 73mm BB, and I know the front der needs to be top pull, but what is the clamp size for the seat post and the FD?

And no, I will not part with my V4. I like way too much.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a seat post clamp if you want it!

I have a extra seat post clamp that you can have if you want it.
I took it off of my sonix so it should fit perfect on your bike. It is
not a quick release though. Just let me know if I can help you
out.

·
Registered
468 Posts
You are going to love that bike! I'm pretty sure the FD size is 31.8. I'll check when I get home. I've got an X9 FD that I took off my Sonix LT when I sold it I'd part with for really cheap. It's got about 100 miles on it and is in great condition. PM me if you're interested.

·
huh?
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I'm scrapping the Recon idea. It's on my buddy's Jamis, but it's an 08 model. I read the reviews, and although he hasn't had any issues, I weigh about 50lbs more than him and I'm not sure if it will hold up.

Suggestions?

@ Medboy and shockfinder--I was surprised when the frame arrived with the clamp and FD. Thanks anyway! :thumbsup:

·
huh?
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm looking for 130mm travel. That's what the frame geo was based on. The extra wheelset I have here is set up with standard 9mm QR, and I don't want to replace/buy another hub.

I weigh in at 220lbs. So, I guess any riding I do could be considered aggresive. However, all that's around here is midwest singletrack.

You can just youtube "minnesota mountain biking" and find several videos of some of the trails I ride. You could also poke around the trail guide at MORC to get an idea of the trails out here. I live in the Twin Cities and usually ride at Lebanon Hills.

edit: due to taxes this year, I'd like to keep the fork cost as low as possible. The best "bang for the buck".

·
huh?
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
OK, so....from reading another thread, the chainline is supposed to be 51mm right?

I'll be using an TruVative Isoflow powerspline crankset that's been laying around here for a couple years, any suggestions for a BB and spindle?

I can rebuild an engine with my eyes closed, but the bike building is relatively new to me.

edit: Am I correct with 118mm?

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Sorry I never got back about the fork but sounds like youve got it all worked out their. :thumbsup:

If you have mechanical abilities wrenching is wrenching except for the tricks. I started wrenchin on motos in late 70's and do understand what your saying so dont take my 1st comment as sarcastic, motivational. :cornut:

I have found these sites very useful for MTB. :rockon:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/index.htm

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
tacdad5x said:
OK, so....from reading another thread, the chainline is supposed to be 51mm right?

I'll be using an TruVative Isoflow powerspline crankset that's been laying around here for a couple years, any suggestions for a BB and spindle?

I can rebuild an engine with my eyes closed, but the bike building is relatively new to me.

edit: Am I correct with 118mm?
Yes, a 51mm chainline is correct.

Since your BB spindle width will be determined by the cranks you run, TruVativ should be able to help you figure out which length you need. Give them a shout and let them know what model and year the cranks are they should be happy to help.

·
huh?
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, I have the cranks figured out. I'll be using a SLX crankset/BB and let my LBS install it and figured out.

My new question is stem size. I know when I tested the LT before, I wanted a slightly longer stem than factory. My question is what was the stock length/angle of the stem on the 16" LT? I don't have any stems around to experiment with.

Thanks in advance.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
tacdad5x said:
My new question is stem size. I know when I tested the LT before, I wanted a slightly longer stem than factory. My question is what was the stock length/angle of the stem on the 16" LT? I don't have any stems around to experiment with.

Thanks in advance.
What length are you riding now and what type of terrain do you typically ride??:)

·
huh?
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
My V4 is 18" frame, and I believe it has a 85mm stem, not positive though. It's (the stem)out on loan right now. A buddy of mine is checking it out to see if it's comfy for him as he is trying out his new ride. I probably won't see it for another week or two. Otherwise I'd be trying it myself. I just wanted the specs for a baseline and start from there, knowing I was wishing for another 10mm on my test ride. (I prefer a longer cockpit because my build is short legs, long torso).

Terrain is midwest singletrack, gets twisty, moderate climbing with short fast DH sections, and man made obsticles.

ETA: I'm thinking 85mm might make the steering feel too slow.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
I couldnt find a stock length for the LT but would guess around 110mm depending on frame size. Speaking of frame size what is your Sonix LT?? :confused: The 80mm is kinda the magic do all length, well for us shorter people any way. I dont like to exceed 90mm because I feel a lose of steer control when riding FR.DH. I always say ride what your comfortable with not what others say is correct. :rockon:

·
huh?
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
16" frame. I was thinking about it, and I may be getting test rides mixed up. I'm starting to think a Spec I rode had the short stem and the Sonix had a longer one. Although, I'm positive it wasn't near 110mm. The stem on my 18" V4 is 85mm (stock), and I can't imagine the stem growing as the frame shrinks....

I called my buddy, he measured the stem at 90mm. At least as close as he figured with bars attached.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.