Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone rides with bashguards in the bay area, since i am planning to get a bashguard for my bike, and wondering if i will look stupid, or if someone else does actually ride with one.

I generally ride on Fremont Older, Ararestradero, and Shoreline. wanting to go to Saratoga gap, and Sierra Azul though.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
you wont need one at the parks mentioned above but many people have them because they are useful at some of the other local parks. also useful for not shredding your calf. just ride what you like, have fun, and dont be so worried about what other people think

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have one and I don't feel stupid. Actually, I took out my big chain ring and replaced it with a bashguard .. so 2X9.

I ride Fremont Older, Ararestradero, Saratoga Gap, St. Joe, and Demo.

But I do stupid stuff like try to jump a log and @#$%@^ big chain ring @#$%@% me over.
is 2X9 good enough in terms of speed? my friends and i ride from our houses, all the way down to the trails, and i cant decided wheather it is really worth dropping down to 2x9.

Haha i do things like that too. Im only wanting a bashguard, because i dont want to kill some new chainrings, and then after what rox wrote about shredding a calf :eek::eek:

Have you added some teeth on the chainrings to compensate dropping out the 3rd chainring?

Thanks

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
I am wondering if anyone rides with bashguards in the bay area, since i am planning to get a bashguard for my bike, and wondering if i will look stupid, or if someone else does actually ride with one.

I generally ride on Fremont Older, Ararestradero, and Shoreline. wanting to go to Saratoga gap, and Sierra Azul though.

Thanks
Read this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/california-norcal/calf-meet-chainring-641287.html

I have bashguards on all my bikes (except for a 1x10 and singlespeed).

G

·
Go for the bashguard and convert to 2X9. Just leave the granny gear at a 22 and put a 36 on you middle ring and you will have plenty of gear to ride the street and still climb trails.

My 6" Morewood has this set up and I ride that thing everywhere. Fremont Older, Saratoga Gap, Russian Ridge, Nisene Marks, Demo, Wilder, etc...

Bashgaurds are becoming the norm anyways, but its your bike so don;t worry what anyone else thinks. My bashguard has saved my chainrings plenty of times...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go for the bashguard and convert to 2X9. Just leave the granny gear at a 22 and put a 36 on you middle ring and you will have plenty of gear to ride the street and still climb trails.

My 6" Morewood has this set up and I ride that thing everywhere. Fremont Older, Saratoga Gap, Russian Ridge, Nisene Marks, Demo, Wilder, etc...

Bashgaurds are becoming the norm anyways, but its your bike so don;t worry what anyone else thinks. My bashguard has saved my chainrings plenty of times...
Alright, thanks man! as for the jump in the gear, is it okay? right now im running 22, 32, and 44. I was thinking, the additional teeth, might cause some gearing issues, so i was thinking of going up in teeth equally for 1 and 2. so for example, if i want a 36, it would be +4 teeth from stock.. so +4 teeth on the 22.

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
Alright, thanks man! as for the jump in the gear, is it okay? right now im running 22, 32, and 44. I was thinking, the additional teeth, might cause some gearing issues, so i was thinking of going up in teeth equally for 1 and 2. so for example, if i want a 36, it would be +4 teeth from stock.. so +4 teeth on the 22.
If you switch to 36, you may use Shimano double specific front derailler as well, it is designed for 22-36. But even a regular one shifts OK. There are no gearing issues. Stick to Shimano rings if you can, they shift well.

With a 6" bike and hefty tires, I do not find that I spin out 32/11 too often. I do not gun it downhill around here. Just put a 32t BBG bash on it, take few links from your chain, and ride. Plenty of time to decide if you are undergeared or not.

Some good advice in that thread I linked.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you switch to 36, you may use Shimano double specific front derailler as well, it is designed for 22-36. But even a regular one shifts OK. There are no gearing issues. Stick to Shimano rings if you can, they shift well.

With a 6" bike and hefty tires, I do not find that I spin out 32/11 too often. I do not gun it downhill around here. Just put a 32t BBG bash on it, take few links from your chain, and ride. Plenty of time to decide if you are undergeared or not.
What do you mean by a "regular one" for the derailluer? the 3 speed one i have? :confused:

I don't gun it down hill, but since my friends and i have to bike home from the trails, I find that the long strech of foothill expressway is really good on 42T, since 32, just makes you spin too much.

Thanks

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
What do you mean by a "regular one" for the derailluer? the 3 speed one i have? :confused:
Yes. Put in the high limiter screw and lift it up a bit if you put 36.

I don't gun it down hill, but since my friends and i have to bike home from the trails, I find that the long strech of foothill expressway is really good on 42T, since 32, just makes you spin too much.
36 vs 32 would only add about a gear worth of speed. I just spin a bit faster and regard it as an exercise.. ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.