Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride my SJ 120 with flat pedals. What shoes do you wear on the trail if you use flats?

I have the Supergo version of the Wellgo BMX/Downhill pedals (MG52?) and wear Merrell hiking shoes. I'm looking into getting bike specific shoes with a stiffer sole, like the Spec BG Buzzsaw's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lumbee1 said:
I got the best of both...

Mallet M's
How do you like the eggbeater, is it true that they're better to get in and out of them compared to the Shimano SPD? If I decided get back into clipless those would certainly be one of my choices to try.

edit: removed img link

·
X-Ray Guy
363 Posts
eggbeaters were my first clipless pedal and i loved it....work so well...couldntr imagine of another pedal cuz the 4 clip in spots, completely SELF rebuildable for like $15 and rip through mud perfectly

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
SD858 said:
How do you like the eggbeater, is it true that they're better to get in and out of them compared to the Shimano SPD? If I decided get back into clipless those would certainly be one of my choices to try.

edit: removed img link
Mallets were my first introduction to clipless. It was tough to adapt to clipped position at first but I got used to it and now don't like riding without them. I like the platform feel with a clipless pedal.

Some people say that buying a clipless platform like this is a bad idea because you will unclip to ride the technical stuff and might clip back in without warning. Don't believe the hype. I rarely pedal the bike without being clipped in and I like the extra control for the technical sections. The only time I use the platform is when I ride to the corner store to get milk. :)

·
X-Ray Guy
363 Posts
ive ridden the mallets on my buddies '03 Enduro and the eggbeater is not very noticeable with regular shoes. I only kinda noticed it when i tried to hammer around a bit, buti guess you might not notice after a while.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Everyone tells me I should use clippless pedals, but I wear skateboard shoes with Wellgo Mag platforms. Yes they have their drawbacks, but I ride more aggresively and like to dab my foot every once in awhile so they work for me. It seems I crash and/or fall over less often. Maybe next year I might try those Mallets...

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Used as platforms, the Mallets are not the best. I have "skater" shoes that offer the best possible grip but they still slide around some. The Mallet should be used as a platform for normal riding but not for aggressive trails. There just isn't enough grip on the platform part to grab the shoe like a true platform. Riding to the corner store is fine and the eggbeater doesn't interfere that much.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
nydave said:
Everyone tells me I should use clippless pedals, but I wear skateboard shoes with Wellgo Mag platforms. Yes they have their drawbacks, but I ride more aggresively and like to dab my foot every once in awhile so they work for me. It seems I crash and/or fall over less often. Maybe next year I might try those Mallets...
Same here, MG-1s with skater shoes. I've been getting back on the clipless a bit this year, but they still don't feel as comfortable on the sketchy downhills (even though my riding buddies are clipped in and give me grief).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.