Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who rides on frozen streets, ponds, fields, and with or without studs? I love to do it on the surrounding streets, no studs on tires. It's a great balance workout and works the legs pretty well also.SIDI or similar shoes not recommended as one needs a gummy sole to stay upright when the foot goes down. And it will go down. Often.

I am NOT LIABLE for injuries and am not recommending you do this. :)

Once I rode quite well for some time then slipped walking the bike to my shed, hyper-extending my arm and warranting an emergency room trip. It was Super Bowl sunday as I dislike football (I don't want to hear about that choice) so no one was in the emergency room and I was in and out of the hospital in about 1.5 hours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
wyatt said:
Who rides on frozen streets, ponds, fields, and with or without studs? I love to do it on the surrounding streets, no studs on tires. It's a great balance workout and works the legs pretty well also.SIDI or similar shoes not recommended as one needs a gummy sole to stay upright when the foot goes down. And it will go down. Often.

I am NOT LIABLE for injuries and am not recommending you do this. :)

Once I rode quite well for some time then slipped walking the bike to my shed, hyper-extending my arm and warranting an emergency room trip. It was Super Bowl sunday as I dislike football (I don't want to hear about that choice) so no one was in the emergency room and I was in and out of the hospital in about 1.5 hours.
I was on a night ride last year and came out of the woods and needed to ride up a hill to get to anoter set of woods. The road was covered in ice and the climb was a mixture of fear and comedy as we tried to ride up it without crashing to the ground. It was a very slow process some made it some had nasty falls. I was clipped in and it was not easy to unclip so I was lucky to stay on. I didnt like it at all as it is such a hard fall when you lose your balance.
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
you guys are a bunch of wimps!

you should try riding out where i live at this time of year. it is literally below room temperature outside (i.e., 60 degrees F) right now and there is a chance of getting some clouds over the weekend!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ice and Darwin Award?

tscheezy said:
Darwin Award nomination in the making...
You talkin' to me? Did you mean I (Wyatt the Ice Rider) was the candidate or Fo (the cloud fearer)? Either way it's kind of an odd non-sequitur, wouldn't you agree?.It's nice to see you're trying. :)
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
wyatt said:
You talkin' to me? Did you mean I (Wyatt the Ice Rider) was the candidate or Fo (the cloud fearer)? Either way it's kind of an odd non-sequitur, wouldn't you agree?.It's nice to see you're trying. :)
wyatt, i am sure tscheezy is poking fun at me as no doubt he is frustrated he can no longer make fun of my Marz AM1 fork colors :)
 

·
Feeding your addiction
Joined
·
2,648 Posts
FoShizzle said:
you guys are a bunch of wimps!

you should try riding out where i live at this time of year. it is literally below room temperature outside (i.e., 60 degrees F) right now and there is a chance of getting some clouds over the weekend!
Sure, rub it in there Fo. It's 15 here now and still dropping, might hit 20 for a high this weekend if we're lucky. That said, I had a really nice ride on the Backbone today, hardly anyone around and I even saw a bobcat - very cool!!
Larry
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Ventanarama said:
Sure, rub it in there Fo. It's 15 here now and still dropping, might hit 20 for a high this weekend if we're lucky. That said, I had a really nice ride on the Backbone today, hardly anyone around and I even saw a bobcat - very cool!!
Larry
yeah....but you guys have of course killer stuff to do in winter in addition to biking. were you riding by yourself? I am sure if El Beastro was with you he asked you to hold him when you came upon the bobcat.
 

·
Feeding your addiction
Joined
·
2,648 Posts
FoShizzle said:
yeah....but you guys have of course killer stuff to do in winter in addition to biking. were you riding by yourself? I am sure if El Beastro was with you he asked you to hold him when you came upon the bobcat.
Yeah, it was just me, Sean has a gimpy wrist and hasn't been riding. I saw 2 people on their way out and after that I was the only person on the whole trail, that's the nice part about winter riding. Bummed that I didn't have the camera with me, would have been cool to get some pics of the cat.
Larry
 

·
Feeding your addiction
Joined
·
2,648 Posts
icegeek said:
...and I was thinking just yesterday that I should check out this 'backbone' place. Maybe in a few days, eh?
Yeah, sounds like it's supposed to warm up and clear off early in the week. Should be good, I doubt we'll get enough snow to make it muddy. Stop by if you come up and I'll try to ride too, I'm just 1/2mi past the entrance on 34, next to the Conoco.
Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,040 Posts
icegeek said:
...and I was thinking just yesterday that I should check out this 'backbone' place. Maybe in a few days, eh?
This flatlander recommends it. Plus you can see what goodies Larry is hiding in his shop.

FWIW - it was -7F here this AM you pu$$ies. Glad I've got a remote starter on the coche.
 

·
Feeding your addiction
Joined
·
2,648 Posts
icegeek said:
...and I was thinking just yesterday that I should check out this 'backbone' place. Maybe in a few days, eh?
It's good to go, went out for a spin today. Little bit of snow in a few spots, but very rideable and zero mud. Only about an inch of snow stuck, and only on North facing aspects.
Larry
 

Attachments

·
lover of trees
Joined
·
85 Posts


I've been riding in the snow and on the ice but not yet with these new studded tires I made.
Specialized Enduro's 2.00 which self-tapping metal lathe screws 1/2" The enduros are great b/c they have perforations in the rubber knobs so you can easily drill from the outside in and then easily screw in the other way around.



Can't wait to see/add some great ice riding shots...:)
 

·
dog's best friend
Joined
·
699 Posts
You'r gonna hurt someone (or yourself) with those tires!

Yeah, I ride on ice, but only for a couple of pedal strokes and then I'm down. We used to run a local race in Ontario, Canada early March (in the late 80's). I think it was called the Icebreaker. Hilarious!
 

·
Proud lame eBiker
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
Wife says I'm skating on thin ice...every once in a while..."who, me?" :confused: ;)

Luckily it doesn't get too close to freezing here in sNorCal. But every once in a while in an early a.m. ride we'll hit a patch here or there, but it's never for very long of a stretch so I never considered it 'riding on ice'.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top