Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to CWU and trying to find out some of the best local trails in the area. I've ridden around the Manastash ridge area and enjoyed it. My current favorite trails are the Taneum creek area, ridge roller and fishook flats. I've also attempted "The Book" which is only a 10 minute drive away, but incorporates some brutal climbs and slightly ridiculous downhills. Any info on cool trails would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
For most riders coming from Eburg the Taneum is pretty much the most popular ride area. There are some other rides up there like Lookout Mountain Loop, South Cle Elum Ridge, South Fork Trail etc. If you go to the bike shop in Ellensburg they have a small booklet for sale that lists all the rides in the Taneum. It was written by a student and is a nice resource. "The Book" is kind of a ridiculous ride. Manashtash Ridge can be combined with Umtanum Ridge into an epic ride of maybe 5,000 or more feet of climbing and 43 miles or so. I like running Umtanum Ridge parking at Durr Road and Manashtash and going CCW. That cuts it down to about 30 miles. Talk to Graham over in the bike shop he has some pretty good "vertical" ideas. Also John over at the bike shop probably know some of the XC trails around Eburg.

Here in Cle Elum we have Cle Elum Ridge and the Rat Pac Trail. Rat Pac is about 2.8 miles long and drops about 1500 feet from the top to bottom. It runs through Plum Creek Timber property and has drops, jumps, log jumps, teeter totter etc. along with a fun trail. There is also some single track coming out of Roslyn that isnt in any books and only the locals and some of the BBTC riders know about. Further up in the Teanaway their is the popular Miller Peak loop and the Esmeralda loop ride.

Their is also a lot more single track in the Teanaway that Borneo and the BBTC crew will tackle 2-3 times a year coming out of the Teanaway Campground. Check the BBTC calendar for rides in the Teanaway. Getting a little further away there is alway Kachess Ridge out of Easton and Devils Gulch and Mission Ridge out of Cashmere.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Holy moly, where do you start?

Taneum Ridge is just a very, very small part of what's available in that area.
Most all the moto trails are a blast and wiorth riding. You can print out the mp from the Cle Elum Ranger District.

Same thing goes for the Teanaway Basin. Lots of stuff not even on the maps too. And,we're not even talking more off 97.

You'll never hit them all by the time your 4 years are up. But, have fun trying! Central is a great base for getting out to trails off the east side of the crest.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi Karl,

It is starting to feel more spring-like here in the valley floor, but the hills still have snow and/or mud. Training rides along the Iron Horse "John Wayne" rail-trail are possible between at least Kittitas and Thorp. I did see a bit of snow on the trail further west towards
Cle Elum, so it may be a while there. If we do not see substantial snowfall again this winter in the lower areas, we are still a ways out
for Taneum, Rat Pack, Roslyn and Joe Watt. April/May is usually the earliest time frame for things to start becoming rideable in the nearby hills. Check out the threads in this forum (and the Evergreen trails wiki) about Ancient Lakes at Quincy. People may already be riding it, or soon.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Iron Horse Brewery in E-burg is a good place to start. There's snow out there now but Ancient Lakes nearby is snow free but still mucky I imagine. Check back in when you get here. Watt Canyon South of Thorpe will be awesome in May when it opens...

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
Will post up what I find when I find it. Husby tried Ancient Lakes last Friday and got his bike totally covered in peanut butter clay to the point that the wheel could hardly turn.... waiting for that to dry out before heading back. Warmonkey stopped by and told me a little smidge of local Roslyn forest trail is rolling well, so might try rolling some of that tomorrow just because I'm in the mood for riding. IHT between Thorp and Eburg is indeed good, drug the kid on the trail-a-bike for a ways on that Sunday.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I too have hit the Iron Horse between Thorp and E-burg a couple of times in the last weeks. Its not like the mountains but it sure does feel great to get the legs moving. Some of the stuff around Yakima should be drying out soon too.

Gary

·
Registered
557 Posts
Will post up what I find when I find it. Husby tried Ancient Lakes last Friday and got his bike totally covered in peanut butter clay to the point that the wheel could hardly turn.... waiting for that to dry out before heading back..
I went out there last week and it was so muddy I didn't even get my bike out of the car. Then I drove to Ephrata hoping it would be better--it wasn't. Soon though, both of those should be rideable. Quilomene too.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I've been riding dirt roads and singletrack off Konnowac Pass near Yakima for weeks now. On Wednesday afternoon conditions were mostly dry with some damp areas and some dusty areas. Rocky Top should be getting closer to ride-able as we get some Chinook winds in (hopefully). Cowiche Canyon should be drying out soon also although I haven't been out there to give any detailed info.

·
Cracker-magnon
1,153 Posts
rode out at ancient lakes today on the lower section. it was mostly dry, though the horses are already out in force and noticeable on the trails (really choppy in places). There were a few mucky sections, and the wheels bogged up once, but other than that it was really good and nice. I am guessing barring any severe weather it will be completely dry in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately I will be out for the rest of the season because of shoulder surgery.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I got my start at mtb while attending cwu from '88-'91. A riding buddy was an Expert racer from Winthrop and we'd ride 'the book' regularly, it hurt but got easier and then I got pretty fast. If you ride there from campus then go up Cove road (iirc), then down the dirt roads to the NNW, and back through the valley and paved roads, it's 2.5-3 hours from campus round trip, and about 27 miles. That climb up from Cove is great, I miss it, it will make you a strong climber. When I was racing (and beating my buddy from Winthrop) I could do the first gate off Cove to the Book in just under 37min (on a rigid cannondale with toeclips). That is such a great climb, do it once a week at least!
I think you'll have to drive for any good singletrack, -we used to ride the lower Fishook/Taenum trail before there were bridges, those creek crossings were COLD in spring!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.