Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who raced at Lake Sonoma this past weekend? How was it? Brutal Heat? NoBalance, you do it, how'd ya place...I didn't see any results posted yet...hope you survived..

Ed

·
My gloves stink
1,508 Posts
It wasn't too bad

cableguy46 said:
Who raced at Lake Sonoma this past weekend? How was it? Brutal Heat? NoBalance, you do it, how'd ya place...I didn't see any results posted yet...hope you survived..

Ed
Sure, it was hot, but not as bad I expected, and well within manageable limits. Attendance was down, though. Judging from the cars in the lot, it seemed like maybe 60% of normal. Bikemonkey.net is currently down, hopefully Carlos will get it up soon. As always, a great course followed by beer and cheeseburgers. What could be better?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I raced in beginner class, it was my first xc race ever. I had a great time. Great location, great course. The heat did not bother me too much. I even went home with a bottle of wine for the fastest lap :)

P.S. I lost my sunglasses, anyone found them?

·
My gloves stink
1,508 Posts
Beginner?

nielsvk said:
I raced in beginner class, it was my first xc race ever. I even went home with a bottle of wine for the fastest lap :)
Impressive for a beginner! That's not an easy course. Maybe you should consider bumping yourself up a class or two next time.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Hot, but not too bad. Great people as always. Kids were willing to "super soak" you as you climbed back to the top if you wanted.

I ended up hurting my foot on the first lap. I thought I could tough it out and still finish. I couldn't do it. After the downhill of my 3rd lap, I had to stop and hobble back, with DNF written across my forehead.:cryin: I did get my beer :D:D:D:D

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Maybe......

Appendage said:
Impressive for a beginner! That's not an easy course. Maybe you should consider bumping yourself up a class or two next time.
.......he should have started off his race career, say, in Expert or something? I believe the rule o' thumb is podium 3-5 races, then get outtah Dodge.....:D

Good job Niels!:thumbsup: Appendage has a good suggestion though :eek:.

·
Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
799 Posts
Hot and hotter.
I cracked on my second lap, still did my four.
It was kinda tough. i missed the awards (still got 2nd place) and by the time I got off my bike, people were leaving, and the burhers were gone. Turns out Los made it a 3 lap race and didn't tell some of us.
A$$hole, but it'll make you fast I guess.

·
Registered
913 Posts
nielsvk said:
I raced in beginner class, it was my first xc race ever. I had a great time. Great location, great course. The heat did not bother me too much. I even went home with a bottle of wine for the fastest lap :)

P.S. I lost my sunglasses, anyone found them?
Good job - I didn't realize you were on MTBR also! Are you gonna try any other races or series soon?

That was my first Lake Sonoma race - I had an awesome time too! The course, the people, the vibe, and the post ride festivities were all very cool.

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
I'm not sure about these guys saying it was hot but managable ... it was hot as hell.

The night before was also hot, so I had my fan on all night, blowing air right at me. I think my throat got a bit dried out, as I developed a sore throat since then.

Anyway, the race was fun and fast on the initial first half. I had been able to crank it up the pavement and pass both MrCrash and MikeU. I had run into traffic early on in the previous race so I didnt want that to happen again. I could hear Mike & Mike behind me most of the duration through the ravines. Eventually the crashman passed me up on the final ravine.

Once onto the fireroad, the heat started to assert itself. There's something about feeling like you're in a sauna that, to me, is psychologically detrimental when it comes to exercise. It was also kinda dusty out there this time around which, along with the heat, made for a very bad day for my throat. Every breath was like taking a bong hit of some very cheap mex.

Enough b!tching, though. I had my fastest lap yet (over 5 races at lake sonoma) and was able to keep MikeU in sight most of the race. Good workout in preparation for D-ville, I suppose. Got 3rd place behind MrCrash and Denis Luz, who won the last race.

By the way, I really don't get the points thing. If there's 4 racers in a category, how does the winner get 6 points? or 7 points sometimes?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Appendage said:
It was the fastest beginner lap...... :rolleyes:

JMac47 said:
.......he should have started off his race career, say, in Expert or something? I believe the rule o' thumb is podium 3-5 races, then get outtah Dodge.....:D

Good job Niels!:thumbsup: Appendage has a good suggestion though :eek:.
Thanks Jeff. I did not know what to expect so I registered for beginner class. Technically I am not a beginner because I have done endurance races in the past, but this was my first xc race and I am more a diesel that gets up to speed slowly than an explosive xc racer. Also I completely blew up in the second lap.... my body was shivering, even in that heat! Next time I'll start in sport though :thumbsup:

MrCrash said:
Good job - I didn't realize you were on MTBR also! Are you gonna try any other races or series soon?
Might do Skyline this weekend. Would love to do Downieville but I'm in Europe then. :-(

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah that place got to me the last time I raced there, the heat was yuck...and the kids weren't there that time to soak..really needed it...
Fritz, that sucked...usually it is 4 laps, but to be missed and let go another in that heat..yikes!!!!!
NoBalance...3rd place...way to go dude!!!!! Thats great...Your moving up...yeah quit *****in, just ride...it is what it is...:D...just poking ya bud!!!!

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Merely a play on words....

nielsvk said:
Thanks Jeff. I did not know what to expect so I registered for beginner class. Technically I am not a beginner because I have done endurance races in the past, but this was my first xc race and I am more a diesel that gets up to speed slowly than an explosive xc racer. Also I completely blew up in the second lap.... my body was shivering, even in that heat! Next time I'll start in sport though :thumbsup:
.....on my part Niels. You signed up as you should have. I wasn't going to elaborate on your previous experience, since it would have been irrelivant for the race up there, a "billy goats" course! Why do you think the previous race promoter called it the "Billy Cross Race Series"!

We'll have to do a run around the whole lake some day, the earlier, the better.:madmax: :cool:

·
Registered
913 Posts
nielsvk said:
It was the fastest beginner lap...... :rolleyes:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pIh6QJpLLS43nNsBkVSJaDg

I just checked the results - your average pace was higher than the winner's average pace in the Sport U35 class as well! Good job!

The Sport U45 class looks pretty quick. I won the Beginner U45 class, but would have probably finished 7th or 8th in Sport - looks like I've got some work to do if I want to be competitive there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
That was one hot race day. I just don't do well in the heat, and that heat just sucked the energy out of me. My second lap was 5 minutes slower than the first, whereas it usually is less than a minute slower. Lake Sonoma is one tough bugger of a course. You're either climbing or descending rapidly, there's just no long easy sections to recover.

Once again I had Kris hot on my heels, motivating me to push harder when all I wanted to do was abandon early and have a cold beer. The food, beers and conversations with fellow riders before/after the race were great. Can't wait to do it again in August.

·
Registered
3 Posts
what trails made up the course? i ride the "bike loop" up there sometimes, but hate it b/c the fire road at the end is too steep and gravely to climb; i always end up walking. i do ride the horse/hiking trails sometimes though (shh dont tell) and they're pretty fun. anyone have any recommendations for what trails to ride up there?

·
Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
799 Posts
There's a really tough loop around Warm Springs arm, you can skip the Bummer Peak fireroad climb by taking a left at the water trough and it will bring you back to Liberty Glen. From there, you can get ST all the way back down to the boat ramp, cross the bridge and then ST back down to thge visitor's station...

Also, there are lots of trails between Lib Glen and Rockpile road...
and out and backs on the Dry Creek Arm.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.