Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it sacreligous to convert and older friction shift Stumpy to indexed? I'm trying to put together a bike for the wife. She hates friction though. I have an almost unused Technium with Deore II 7 sp that will bolt right on.

·
Premium Member
8,757 Posts
Actually, the only kind of modifications that bugs me are shaving off the derailleur hanger, removing canti bosses and to a lesser degree changing the rear spacing. The parts? No problem. Filing off the lawyer tabs? No problem! Swapping our the rigid for suspension...okay, that annoys me. :D

edit: I'm just speaking for myself. I'm not as hard core as some people here so I should probably get booted for this grave miscarriage of period correctness. :D

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, the only kind of modifications that bugs me are shaving off the derailleur hanger, removing canti bosses and to a lesser degree changing the rear spacing. The parts? No problem. Filing off the lawyer tabs? No problem! Swapping our the rigid for suspension...okay, that annoys me. :D
The frame I want to use is spaced at 126mm. The wheelset is at 130mm. Which usually just fits without having to spread the stays. Actually, Sheldon Brown said you can loose one of the 4mm spacers on Shimano 7sp cassette, redish it and make it fit between 126mm chainstays.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts

edit: I'm just speaking for myself. I'm not as hard core as some people here so I should probably get booted for this grave miscarriage of period correctness. :D
Vintage bikes don't have lawyer tabs. :) ;)

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
I guess it all depends on the bike and the mod. If you find some old beat up frame wasting away in a junk yard by all means give it a new life. If all you are doing is putting modern parts on an old frame so your wife will ride have at it. Just keep the old parts and these mods are easily undone. Adding disk mounts to a late 80's Yeti on the other hand...

·
Premium Member
7,403 Posts
Think it's like Rumpfy said, Depends on the bike, and of coarse what that bike means to you, but if it makes the wife happy, all bets are off, just get er done, lol. Have some older pretty rare bikes that I wouldn't think of changing, at least in a permanent way, and some that it wouldn't bither me a bot and function would win out over form without a second thought. Like this minty 95' stumpy, that I stripped of it's groupo for another build, that'll be a ss 1 day when I get around to finishing.
My .02

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
The right way to go is to make what changes you want without asking, then post photos of all the "sacrilegious" mods with full details on how much they improved the bike. At least that way we all get to enjoy watching the discussion spiral out of control.

IMO there are benefits accrued from having a bike riding wife that outweigh any pissing and moaning you'd hear about changing out parts on an old frame.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The right way to go is to make what changes you want without asking, then post photos of all the "sacrilegious" mods with full details on how much they improved the bike. At least that way we all get to enjoy watching the discussion spiral out of control.

IMO there are benefits accrued from having a bike riding wife that outweigh any pissing and moaning you'd hear about changing out parts on an old frame.
You are an extremely wise man. That and you must be married.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ha! every single person thinks you do whatever you need to do to keep the wife happily riding. It certainly justifies a collection of too small bikes for some of you guys. :skep:
I just picked up an 83 Stumpjumper 15" frame/fork for that very reason. WOW you're pretty smart too.;)

·
enjoying the scenery
318 Posts
I got a 89 Trek Antelope 820 for my wife. 15" bike must have weighed 30 lbs, lost nearly 4 lbs by switching to a System 2 flat bar and STX, instead of Exage 400 (Heavy!). Put Nashbar canti's, Alivio/STX 7 speed shifters and Forté slicks on it and she's good to go.

Any change you make to a bike is good if it keeps it on the roads/trails - just don't saw, cut or file anything.

·
artistic...
7,652 Posts

You are not supposed to post common sense on the internet.
MOd.. please do something about it.

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
Vintage bikes don't have lawyer tabs. :) ;)
Well, maybe nothing with vintage appeal, but some old bikes did, or something like it. The Spinner fork on my 88 GT Avalanche had shrouded dropouts meaning you had to unwind the QR to get the wheel out.

Or file off the bottom of the shroud

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.