Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I need skills
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Trek 4900 last year for my oldest son and now the next son needs a new bike. Last year I went to the 4000 series because of the gearing, 22 front chain ring and an 11-36 rear cassette. (the 3000 series had a 24 front ring and an 11-32 cassette-which isn't much of a granny combo for a kid).

I can't seem to find any hardtail bike in this size, (13" frame with that type of gearing and this price point (approx $1000 msrp). A 26" wheel would be great, 27.5 would be OK too.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance.
Charlie

·
orthonormal
4,927 Posts
I bought a Trek 4900 last year for my oldest son and now the next son needs a new bike. Last year I went to the 4000 series because of the gearing, 22 front chain ring and an 11-36 rear cassette. (the 3000 series had a 24 front ring and an 11-32 cassette-which isn't much of a granny combo for a kid).

I can't seem to find any hardtail bike in this size, (13" frame with that type of gearing and this price point (approx $1000 msrp). A 26" wheel would be great, 27.5 would be OK too.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance.
Charlie
Tell the dealer you're ready to buy if they agree to change out the cassette and/or chainrings. If they say no, try another shop.

·
ready to ride
859 Posts
Not quite sure why the hang up on a 11-36 cassette. You kid is young and adaptable, and well a kid. I say get one with a 32t cassette or just get em a single speed.;)

If you are or they are dead set on a 11-36 do what Andy suggested.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
my son is riding a 24-36 up front and a 12-30 in the rear. Doesn't have a problem and doesn't mind climbing. He was 10 when we built up his bike.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
I am confused, why not just put a larger cassette on an existing bike? just because a certain bike comes with a 32t cog does not mean that is the only cassette that will ever fit on there. you might need to lengthen the chain, or better yet, replace the chain and leave it long enough to handle the extra cog size.

22/36 as a low gear on a 26er would be great for climbing vertical walls but otherwise totally excessive. also, I have been warned by Shimano directly that not all of their freehubs are made to handle the torque that can be delivered by a rider armed with a 36t ring. I once had to replace a freehub for a rider who blew up his freehub because he was riding 24/36 on a 29er and it was too much for the freehub. be sure to consider the limits of the freehub and derailleurs of the bike before slapping a ridiculous cassette on the bike.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
also, the last two years' 4900 models came with a low gear of 24/36 and the previous years' came with a 22/34 gear, according to Trek's archives. if you bought a bike with a 22/36, it was because someone swapped the crankset on you.

don't get too hung up on the frame size being 13" exactly. that is a nominal size that tells you nothing about how the bike fits in the LENGTH, which is the part that matters. most companys' "extra small" size should be appropriate if the rider is used to a Trek 13" frame.

·
I need skills
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Appreciate the replies. I am aware of changing the cassette. I didn't mention in the post that that 4000 series bikes have much better components, is lighter..etc than the 3000 series. I figured by asking simply about gearing I'd end up with bikes with 10 speed cassettes, which would infer a better build quality. Which is why I asked about bike models and not swapping components.

·
gobsmacked
8,757 Posts
figured by asking simply about gearing I'd end up with bikes with 10 speed cassettes, which would infer a better build quality. Which is why I asked about bike models and not swapping components.
Nah. More speeds does not infer better components. Just a newer frame probably. And newer doesn't necessarily mean better. So, just do a little research on parts hierarchy and you'll see what you're getting. But really, that's not even important. Kids can get up anything on anything. I doubt you'll make a wrong choice.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Nah. More speeds does not infer better components.
actually, it does imply that, to some degree. the one extra gear is not really a big deal, but the cassettes, chains, derailleurs, and chainrings for 10 speed stuff have all been redesigned to work better and smoother. I would chalk that up to marketing hype but I have ridden both Shimano XT 9 speed and XT 10 speed, and, even with brand new components on both, the 10 speed components are noticeably smoother! supposedly the chains are actually stronger too.

getting a bike with 9 speed versus 10 speed components would not be a deal-breaker for me, but given the choice, I think the 10 speed stuff is better. plus, with a lot of the 10 speed stuff, you can get a rear derailleur with a clutch to cut down on chain slap, which is probably worth it by itself.

·
I need skills
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:) I must say I am marveling at the responses to my query about bicycle models that may fit my request. I understand the powerful urge people have to share their bicycle knowledge and experiences. Sharing knowledge makes a person feel good. It is unfortunate that knowledge, experience and understanding about mt bikes, shared here, ends at understanding and replying to the question asked. I am still holding out hope for suggestions on specific bike models.

It is as if I asked where to buy an apple and y'all replied by wondering why I hadn't considered an orange. Well, it is because I want an apple.
I can write a lengthy post filled with multiple and valid reasons why I am searching for such a bike, but I thought the crowd would appreciate a more straight forward question. (Even though I know it is not easy, which is why I posted here).

Thanks!

·
I always bleed like this.
496 Posts
Your next to last last comment was "Any Suggestions?"

Thus, you got what you asked for.
I built a bike for my son in that size for under $500 but that was a build not a purchase. There are a lot of posts about this, I read them prior to building my son's bike. If you are looking for an off the rack option the experts are the folks who sell off the rack. If you want an alternate to that you come here.

There are times when I would agree with your POV concerning off topic replies but IMO the replies are valid it's your expectations that are off target.

Good luck finding a bike for your son, everyone loves a new bike and I am sure he would be thrilled with whatever you get him.

·
I need skills
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is true the last comment was "any suggestions". However the post was titled, "Who manufactures a size 13 frame with an 11-36 rear cassette? "

If a reader wished to skip the between parts of the post it would read, "Who manufactures a size 13 frame with an 11-36 rear cassette? ... Any suggestions". Which, I have to admit, what may appear to be a bit of nifty writing my my part, is a coincidence.

I do, however, applaud you for making the mental leap from "any suggestions" to the realization that the post was still bicycle related. A person with less mental facilities could have provided me any sort of wild "any suggestion" ranging from the best place to buy a burger or the best pick-up line to use to sleep with PoorBehavior's Mom. Which I will guess would be, "Can I buy you a beer?"

BTW. Good for you for building your Son a bike. If you had another Son would you provide that Son with a bike of exactly half the quality and then tell him to keep up?

Your next to last last comment was "Any Suggestions?"

Thus, you got what you asked for.
I built a bike for my son in that size for under $500 but that was a build not a purchase. There are a lot of posts about this, I read them prior to building my son's bike. If you are looking for an off the rack option the experts are the folks who sell off the rack. If you want an alternate to that you come here.

There are times when I would agree with your POV concerning off topic replies but IMO the replies are valid it's your expectations that are off target.

Good luck finding a bike for your son, everyone loves a new bike and I am sure he would be thrilled with whatever you get him.

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
And a good day to you sir! I for one applaud your tenacious focus on the specificity of your original post and agree with your condemnation of those who clearly misread it, and, inferred that you might be open to more general advice on different vagaries of bicycle component selection. Too often, the modern reader cannot comprehend the grammatical nuances which define the essence of a piece of written prose. Good luck in your search for a bicycle with the correct cassette pre selected, as, it is, to me, and clearly to yourself as well, the penultimate predictor of overall component quality. Other methods of evaluating overall component quality, such as evaluating each component's quality individually, are, in my view, inferior.

I think it was Milton who first said, "Long is the way, and hard, that out of darkness leads to light, by light, specifically meaning finding a high quality 13" with an 11-36".

Those words were so true, both then and now.

Vaya con Dios.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Please search and if needed x-post in the Family and riding with kids forum, your answer might already be there.

Good luck finding a 13" with a 11-36.

·
gobsmacked
8,757 Posts
actually, it does imply that, to some degree. the one extra gear is not really a big deal, but the cassettes, chains, derailleurs, and chainrings for 10 speed stuff have all been redesigned to work better and smoother. I would chalk that up to marketing hype but I have ridden both Shimano XT 9 speed and XT 10 speed, and, even with brand new components on both, the 10 speed components are noticeably smoother! supposedly the chains are actually stronger too.

getting a bike with 9 speed versus 10 speed components would not be a deal-breaker for me, but given the choice, I think the 10 speed stuff is better. plus, with a lot of the 10 speed stuff, you can get a rear derailleur with a clutch to cut down on chain slap, which is probably worth it by itself.
I was making a more general distinction of 10 speed Deore vs. 9 speed XT.

As for the rest of the comments.... :)

·
gobsmacked
8,757 Posts
:) I must say I am marveling at the responses to my query about bicycle models that may fit my request. I understand the powerful urge people have to share their bicycle knowledge and experiences. Sharing knowledge makes a person feel good. It is unfortunate that knowledge, experience and understanding about mt bikes, shared here, ends at understanding and replying to the question asked. I am still holding out hope for suggestions on specific bike models.

It is as if I asked where to buy an apple and y'all replied by wondering why I hadn't considered an orange. Well, it is because I want an apple.
I can write a lengthy post filled with multiple and valid reasons why I am searching for such a bike, but I thought the crowd would appreciate a more straight forward question. (Even though I know it is not easy, which is why I posted here).

Thanks!
I suppose it's because people are trying to help you go in the general right direction and expect you to do some homework on your own.

Anyhow, good luck with them apples, Out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts