Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I built up my SS last month, I was told to get a King Kog instead of a cheaper Shimano DX type cog. So I plunked down my $35 and got a 17t stainless cog. It's nice, but pricey.

Now I want to get other size cogs so I can swap them out depending on the terrain. $35 a piece is a little more than I was hoping to spend. Does anybody else make a cog as good (or better) than King for less money?

Does Boone Ti make SS cogs?

I think I've seen posts about other companies that make SS cogs too, but I can't find them in the search/archives anywhere. If you have information about other companies that make good SS cogs, please share...

Sorry I sound like such a newbie. I'm still learning the SS thang...

Thx...Doug

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Boone are the best in my opinion

Here is the website, http://boonerings.com/cr/cr.html. Talk to Brett and see what his lead time is and then be flexible with what he tells you. Making cogs is not his highest priority, he fits them in as he can.

The Path in Tustin CA has been stocking a few boone cogs, you might want to give them a call.

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm using a Nuke Proof hub

shiggy said:
What hub are you using? If it has a steel freehub body you can use the cheap steel Shimano or Novatech cogs.
My hubs are Nuke Proof hubs (carbon fiber ones). I believe the body is steel because a magnet will stick to it.

Some people at the LBS told me that even with a steel hub, the cheap thin Novatech cogs will dig into the freewheel body. Is this not true? My SS conversion came with a cheapo 18t cog (probably made by Novatech).

Thx...Doug

·
Registered
605 Posts
Novatech cogs

dgangi said:
Some people at the LBS told me that even with a steel hub, the cheap thin Novatech cogs will dig into the freewheel body. Is this not true?
I run a standard XT hub w/ a Novatech cog. In approximately 1.5 years of riding in the Pacific NW in all types of weather, I noticed absolutely zero indications of the cog digging into the steel freehub body. Not only that, but I saw little if any wear on the cog. In the same amount of time, just as a reference, I began to see definate signs of wearing on the Spot 36t chainring. Don't get me wrong, the Spot performed and wore beautifully and I'd purchase one again.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
dgangi said:
Some people at the LBS told me that even with a steel hub, the cheap thin Novatech cogs will dig into the freewheel body. Is this not true?
No, it is true. In my experience thin steel cogs like the Novatec will dig into the bodies of steel freehubs, but it won't dig in as bad if the freehub were titanium or aluminum. In fact, it may be hardly noticeable, but I've seen it on some of my XT hubs. It may bother some, especially with old, rare hubs like yours.

Boone ti cogs are more expensive than King Kogs, so if you are looking for something cheaper, look elsewhere. Besides the Kick Ass Cogs from Endless, Surly is slated to come out with a wide-based steel cog, but I'm not sure when they will release them. Does anyone else?

Stickel (aka DFL) welds cogs together to make a wide-based cog.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Wait a bit...

...I just took my maiden voyage on my prototype Surly Cog (there is some MTB upside to living in Mpls).

Immediate feedback is that it needs to be a tad wider at the base. Almost afraid to pull it off the hub to see what it has done to my aluminiumum CK hub body.

My guess is that they'll be ready for retail in T minus 45 days.

Sean

·
www.badgercycles.com
309 Posts
Third here

OneGearGuy said:
I will second that. :cool:
Cant say enough good things about endless. They fit the freehub body perfect with very little play. But I did have to deburr my freehub body with a small file to get it to fit so if your not comfy with the removal of burrs and or filing the cog a little just to get it on your freehub then could be a problem.

Endless - Please dont change a thing.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Sideways said:
Shamelessly self promoting, my cogs kick ass and are reasonably priced.
Check them out...they roll smooth and last long.
I'll second that.

I picked up an Endless 16t from Phat Moose (Ottawa) last week and was impressed with the fit, price, weight, and looks.

I'll need more time to confirm wear, but if I can get a season out of it I'll be plenty happy.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
If you can run DX/Novatec cogs, DO!

They're cheap and they last a long time. Why pay more? The only practical reasons are if you need a size they don't make (hence the 17t King you already have) or if you have an aluminum freehub body. King Kogs are expensive, have shorter teeth and wear faster, Boones are expensive (nothing wrong with them, though - I have a 22t myself), and Endless cogs are cheaper than Boone or King but still way more expensive than DX or Novatec.

If a magnet will stick to your freehub and cost is at all an issue, DX and Novatec cogs are they way to go. After a long period of very heavy use, you might (or, more likely, might not) start to see signs of it digging in slightly to your freehub body, but (unlike with aluminum bodies) certainly not enough to cause any damage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.