Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says, does anyone make a non custom, non-suspension corrected (440mm-ish), v-brake compatible rigid 29er fork?

Thanks.

·
Registered
466 Posts
indigosky said:
Just like the title says, does anyone make a non custom, non-suspension corrected (440mm-ish), v-brake compatible rigid 29er fork?

Thanks.
Kelly did in its Roshambo fork. I have one on my Chester. Of course, Kelly is now defunct, but you may be able to find something on Ebay.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think you are looking for an off the shelf fork which I think will be hard to find. When I was looking for the same type of fork as you, I bought a Ritchey 26" susp. corrected fork and cut off the old bosses and had new bosses welded on. Works pretty good. As you can see in the picture it has decent clearence. I am thinking of having the bosses moved on a Vicous fork I have. If you can find a susp. corrected Specialized from a Stumpjumper or Rockhopper I think that would work well. Just an idea.

Attachments

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
indigosky said:

Thanks.
my research found it to be easier and cheaper in the end to just get a disc only 26er fork and do the front disc thing.

but moving the bosses sounds like a plan.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Sam, it's looking like that's what is going to happen. I've got Nova Cycles catalogue open in my other IE window right now...

·
Registered
24 Posts
nycbikes.com has a crossdisc fork that they advertise as being "Available in either Cross (415mm Axle to Crown) or 29'er (435) Blade Length.mm". Not sure of the quality or tire clearance but at $59.00 it is somewhat cheap.

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
shishku said:
Sibex makes a ti fork like you want. Check their website, I know Quality is their new distributor.
But you have to deal with their shady nature from what I understand. Sibex sadly does not have a good name in these forums if memory serves me well. Can anyone validate or correct that for me?

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
Find a fork for a touring bike or a hybrid. I got a chromoly one for my cyclocross rig for $20 that will clear a 2.1" width tire. Think the length was 425mm.

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
shishku said:
Sibex is distributed through Quality now, which is a good sign. Keep in mind this is an ultralight component.
Sibex as a company hasn't had a good rep on the forums. Not just their product (which is a re-branded spicer fork). That's what I'm saying. They do something to improve their name I'd consider their product.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I am looking for a ~420-430mm canti mount fork. My Cross-Check is a size too large. My customer crosser too, and it's sadly a 1" steerer. The raised front will relax handling which I want to try, and the fit on the bike will be shorter, which I think i need.

DeeEight, did you get lucky an pull your fork from an LBS's non-free junk bin, or are there reliable source for such forks somewhere online?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I was thinking of the Kona as well, that'd have to come pretty close.

Regarding Spicer/Sibex, I believe both of them are actually made by Xian Changda in China (who themselves are not easy to deal with IME). There were some horror stories (and pictures) of these snapping under the crown. However I heard they'd changed the design (thicker tubing...) and I haven't seen any further reports of failures in recent times.

Sam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
James M said:
nycbikes.com has a crossdisc fork that they advertise as being "Available in either Cross (415mm Axle to Crown) or 29'er (435) Blade Length.mm". Not sure of the quality or tire clearance but at $59.00 it is somewhat cheap.
This is what I ended up going with. Thanks for the tip!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.