Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an Interlock Tempest for a good price but have never hear of that bike.

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,236 Posts
It depends on what type of riding you are doing. Take a look at Sycip, Independent Fabrication, and Steelman for starters. There are others out there. Also, don't get hung up on it being Reynolds 853 steel, it is not the end all be all steel. If you are having a frame built by an independent builder, pay heed to their recomendations. They will often use different types of tubing to get a ride matched to your needs.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Miker J said:

Mike
Interloc has been around. They are popular up in the San Francisco Bay Area where I used to live. Their frames are descendents of the Breezer hardtails.

If you want prestigious custom builder, check out Sycip and Curtis Ingliss.

If you don't care for a famous builder, than Tom Teesdale (TET) does high quality work at a good price.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Don't forget dekerf!

www.dekerf.com

I've owned two, as well as many other high-end hand-built steel frames. Just got a dekerf implant- 853 tubing, sub 5 lbs (I know, you're thinking that's heavy, but read on) designed for a 4" or 5" fork, short chainstays, big gussetts, has handled numerous big drops, jumps, and FR use already with nary a creak.

CDMC said:
It depends on what type of riding you are doing. Take a look at Sycip, Independent Fabrication, and Steelman for starters. There are others out there. Also, don't get hung up on it being Reynolds 853 steel, it is not the end all be all steel. If you are having a frame built by an independent builder, pay heed to their recomendations. They will often use different types of tubing to get a ride matched to your needs.

·
dirtbag
1,527 Posts
I just built up that exact frame.

Miker J said:

Mike
Got the frame for a commuter build-up. Nice steel ride, even with the rigid fork I've got on it. The Breezer-type dropouts are kinda unique. I got a disc setup on mine and my only gripe is the fact that the brake bosses are welded in and not the screw in type. No prob here... I just took the Dremel tool to them and cut em off and put plugs in the holes.

I was thinkin of ponying up for a IF Deluxe (same tubing but custom and they use Columbus on the rear triangle), but i've already spent too much on bikes this year already.I'll post pics when I find the digital camera...

edit: here's a pic of my Tempest

Attachments

·
Gear Whore
1,352 Posts
Interlock (IRD), while I don't think it is the same owners as the old days were outa Oregon and made the most killer parts known to man.....I loved the brakes and seatposts...also made some nice cranks and then some frames. When I lived in Eugene they were what the pimp riders were riding.....

Oh there is a loval guy here that does some real nice work. www.peyto.com I think.....rocking bikes. Some of the local trials guys ride them and I have seen the XC bike in action...all I can say is BEEEEYOOOOOTIIIIIFULLLLL!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Miker J said:

Mike
The IRD is made inthe same place as the Soma frames. and is considered a 'house' brand of Merry Sales.

Pay attention to the geometry as it is a little different than other bikes. These tend towards shorter top tubes.

They look like a killer deal esp. last years models which are usually on sale at Jensen

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Miker J said:

Mike
What's your price range?
Do you need custome geometry
Why 853? are you looking for the lightest?

IRD, Jamis, Soma, and a handful of others make some stock steel frames.

Older KHS teams were made of True temper OX gold which is an awesome tubset and can be found cheap sometimes. The Phobia labled frames from Universal Cycles (I think) are rebadged KHS that is made from a lower grade of OX tubing. The Soma's are made from Reynolds 631 I think, lower grade than 853, heavier, but still a comfy tubset

There are many small builders making custom steel and some even have 'signature series' which are made in stock sizes. It is actually a wonderful time to get a steel bike because there are so many builders popping up.

Larger ones include Strong Cycles, BREW

One shop guys include Walt Works (who posts a lot here), Curtlo etc.

Lowest price for a frame from these guys is going to be in the $600 range. An IRD on closeout in the $250-$300 range,and a frame on ebay in the $100+ range.

Figure out what you need and start looking. And don't be sold on 853 only. OX Gold, OX Platinum and other high end steels are just as good

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all....

ashwinearl said:
What's your price range?
Do you need custome geometry
Why 853? are you looking for the lightest?

IRD, Jamis, Soma, and a handful of others make some stock steel frames.

Older KHS teams were made of True temper OX gold which is an awesome tubset and can be found cheap sometimes. The Phobia labled frames from Universal Cycles (I think) are rebadged KHS that is made from a lower grade of OX tubing. The Soma's are made from Reynolds 631 I think, lower grade than 853, heavier, but still a comfy tubset

There are many small builders making custom steel and some even have 'signature series' which are made in stock sizes. It is actually a wonderful time to get a steel bike because there are so many builders popping up.

Larger ones include Strong Cycles, BREW

One shop guys include Walt Works (who posts a lot here), Curtlo etc.

Lowest price for a frame from these guys is going to be in the $600 range. An IRD on closeout in the $250-$300 range,and a frame on ebay in the $100+ range.

Figure out what you need and start looking. And don't be sold on 853 only. OX Gold, OX Platinum and other high end steels are just as good
Again, thanks to all.

In regards to your questions. Well, I really don't need another frame (as I've got a few bikes now) but my dedicated xc racer is an old Trek 8500 that while very fast, is rigid as heck. The ride is quite harsher than my cheap Surly. So, if I could pick up a decent steel frame for a relatively cheap price to replace the Trek I would. I guess I'd be talking less than $500 and the Interlock I saw on sale meets that. The large's TT length looks about perfect for my xc needs.

Mike

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
to echo others...

Reynolds 853 is a nice tubeset, but there are MANY frames made with less prestigious or less famous tubes, and many of them will ride just as well, if not better, than the 853-tubed frame.

True Temper has 4 grades of butted CrMo and any of them will ride well. Verus, Verus HT, OX Platinum, and S3. S3 is very lightweight and recommended only for race day frames. OX Platinum is common among high-end steel frames, rides VERY well. I have two Curtlo frames made from OX Platinum, both are superb rides.

Columbus has MANY grades of butted CrMo and most of them are equal to or superior to the 853 in ride quality, AND are easier to build with (don't destroy holesaws, files, or milling cutters quite as quickly as 853 or S3).

Dedacciai are a fairly unknown Italian steel tube maker who make some nice tubesets too. Don't eliminate them either.

The Interloc/IRD/Soma Fabrications frame has two primary distinctions from current mainline geometry: (1) shortish top tubes (up to 1.5" shorter than most), which means you need 120mm+ stems; and (2) narrow set chain and seat stays, which means that you won't get most tires over 2.1 inside the rear triangle.

For relatively inexpensive custom steel:

Curtlo
Teesdale
True North
Peyto

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Gunnar?

Miker J said:
Again, thanks to all.

In regards to your questions. Well, I really don't need another frame (as I've got a few bikes now) but my dedicated xc racer is an old Trek 8500 that while very fast, is rigid as heck. The ride is quite harsher than my cheap Surly. So, if I could pick up a decent steel frame for a relatively cheap price to replace the Trek I would. I guess I'd be talking less than $500 and the Interlock I saw on sale meets that. The large's TT length looks about perfect for my xc needs.

Mike
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Gunnar, especially if you want a loooooong top tube. I rode a 19" Gunnar Rockhound frame for a couple of years and I believe it had like a 24.5" top tube. Long sucker. Gunnar used to use Reynolds 853, but I believe they may have changed over to True Temper Platinum OX. You can pick up a used Rockhound frame for less than $500 on ebay or a new one for around $750.

Attachments

·
dirtbag
1,527 Posts
Yowzers!

Earthpig said:
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Gunnar, especially if you want a loooooong top tube. I rode a 19" Gunnar Rockhound frame for a couple of years and I believe it had like a 24.5" top tube. Long sucker. Gunnar used to use Reynolds 853, but I believe they may have changed over to True Temper Platinum OX. You can pick up a used Rockhound frame for less than $500 on ebay or a new one for around $750.
That's a freakishly long top tube. How long is the stem on that Gunnar? Looks like you've got the saddle a little forward to compensate, eh?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
853 main triangle ox Plat. for the rear

Earthpig said:
I have a 17" rockhound, love it. 853 up front ox plat in the rear. I would have bought an IF otherwise, but got a stupid good deal on the Gunnar.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Mmmmmmmmmmmm steel. Almost 7 years old and still going strong. Who keeps aluminum around that long? But I agree, 853 isn't the only choice. Good steel is good steel.

-dave

Attachments

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
initial build pic

commo_soulja said:
That's a freakishly long top tube. How long is the stem on that Gunnar? Looks like you've got the saddle a little forward to compensate, eh?
That picture was taken right after I built the frame up in 2001. I swapped the 130mm stem over from my Trek 8000 (that had a 23.75" top tube), but ended up replacing it with a 120mm stem with a 15 degree rise. Ultimately, had I kept the frame, I would have probably gone down to a 110 stem. Here's a later incarnation of the same frame with some different components. I highly, highly, highly recommend Gunnar frames to anyone who wants a solidly built steel frame for low cost with a loooooooooong top tube!!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
What size Interloc?

Hey commo_soulja,

What size is your Interloc frame? How long is the top tube?

It looks very nice.

Ron

commo_soulja said:
Got the frame for a commuter build-up. Nice steel ride, even with the rigid fork I've got on it. The Breezer-type dropouts are kinda unique. I got a disc setup on mine and my only gripe is the fact that the brake bosses are welded in and not the screw in type. No prob here... I just took the Dremel tool to them and cut em off and put plugs in the holes.

I was thinkin of ponying up for a IF Deluxe (same tubing but custom and they use Columbus on the rear triangle), but i've already spent too much on bikes this year already.I'll post pics when I find the digital camera...

edit: here's a pic of my Tempest

1 - 20 of 28 Posts