Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I bought a bike at the thrift the other day. Some people thought that it might be a Tom Kellogg / Spectrum, but he didn't claim it. Darn, so I am casting a wider web to you all. Serial number: CL90006. 17" frame, down tube cable routing, integrated seatpost clamp, no bridge between the chain stays, no hole for the spring on the brake bosses, and a rounded arch for the brake cable stop for cantilever brakes.
all thoughts and clues are appreciated
Charlie
Tire Wheel Bicycle Bicycle frame Crankset
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Door Wood Fender
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Crankset
Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel
Bicycle frame Automotive tire Bicycle fork Wheel Bicycle tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle
Water Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Wood Automotive exterior Bicycle part

· Registered
7,693 Posts
We need to see the drop outs. I'm going to go with first year issue Marin Team Titanium. Those welds though. Below you can see the similarities. on a later frame. Marin was using that rear cable stop at least back to 1989, and that year they had a U brake on the seat stays.

· Registered
13,686 Posts
A pic where you could actually see more than a little bit of the frame at a time might help.

Just as guess based on the serial number, a few frame details and the ugly welds, could be a Clark Kent?

· Registered
1,816 Posts
After the new pics, I'm definitely leaning toward 'not titanium'. The dropouts look forged and not machined, and the chatter marks from mounting the wheel wouldn't be present in properly alloyed titanium. I'm still thinking stainless. Either that, or some non-standard Ti alloy.

· Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,777 Posts
Stainless would also fail the magnet test. I agree that it doesn't look Ti.
However there are virtually no stainless MTBs out there. It makes a Ti frame look like a Huffy.

· Registered
251 Posts
most stainless isn't magnetic, not a good test
There are three types of stainless steel, Ferritic, Austenitic and Martensitic. The alloying element mix determines they type along with intended use. Ferritic stainless is magnetic and will rust under the right conditions due to the iron as the main alloying element. It also has very low nickel content. It’s commonly used for automotive exhaust systems. I would think the frame would be heavy if it were made from stainless steel.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great info on stainless steel being non-ferrous. I remember a KHS comp that was steel and looking like Ti. I thought that I saw some reddish stuff (possible rust) in the head tube. I even knocked out the cups to see, but it was only tired old grease. I lean to the stainless idea when I hold the frame only, as it isn't the lightest, but go back to the Ti idea when I feel the stiffness of the rear triangle.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.