Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who likes to go Nite Riding? boy i sure to! Me and my friends go all the time, strap the nite rider on and go out on the trails! The temperature is so much cooler down here in TN so much fun! Who else likes to go nite ridin?
Thanks-
Sam

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I go in winter

NRSDude said:
Who likes to go Nite Riding? boy i sure to! Me and my friends go all the time, strap the nite rider on and go out on the trails! The temperature is so much cooler down here in TN so much fun! Who else likes to go nite ridin?
Thanks-
Sam
But there isn't much of anywhere to go that is legal around here. Sometimes a bud and I do urban assault at the local school grounds. Stairs are fun at night.

The only legal stuff around here I have found is Briones. On the signs, they say close at 10:00 PM whereas most other places around here close at sunset. They actually hand out tix at China Camp.... $350 IIRC. Ouch!

Yeah, I strap on the Ultra Death Ray 12/20/32W light to the bars and the 10W head trip along with an LED headlight. That combo covers everything.

·
Registered
387 Posts
NRSDude said:
Thanks-
Sam
I do - in the fall. This time of year there's no real night riding to be found - not even midnight.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
I cant get enough of night riding.

When I began night riding, I totally hated it, it scared the crap out of me, but that was more because my light failed to shine its amazing 10 watts :eek: on the trails I rode. A new light system and I was hooked I suppose. Still I wasn't toally satisfied, then I got my HID system, and now find myself doing more night rides and at this stage since it is winter I find myself doing the majority of my MTB rides and night.

I think it is really the best fun, makes the whole experience something else. I can go out and ride for 8hrs on 1 battery (Seriously!) so its sorta cool!

Trevor!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Trevor! said:
I cant get enough of night riding.

When I began night riding, I totally hated it, it scared the crap out of me, but that was more because my light failed to shine its amazing 10 watts :eek: on the trails I rode. A new light system and I was hooked I suppose. Still I wasn't toally satisfied, then I got my HID system, and now find myself doing more night rides and at this stage since it is winter I find myself doing the majority of my MTB rides and night.

I think it is really the best fun, makes the whole experience something else. I can go out and ride for 8hrs on 1 battery (Seriously!) so its sorta cool!

Trevor!
Trevor what lighting system is that ? and how much does it retail here in Aus ?

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
sp00kme said:
Trevor what lighting system is that ? and how much does it retail here in Aus ?
The light system is the Lupine Edison 10. It is German, light weight and crazy bright, providing 40/65w of very white light via a Xenon Globe. I think in the US with the single battery which will provide 8/5hrs retails for about $710 us. I don't believe it is for sale in Australia. I suppose in Australia you would pay about $1500.

Here is a review I did: https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=28032

Bright eh?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Trevor! said:
The light system is the Lupine Edison 10. It is German, light weight and crazy bright, providing 40/65w of very white light via a Xenon Globe. I think in the US with the single battery which will provide 8/5hrs retails for about $710 us. I don't believe it is for sale in Australia. I suppose in Australia you would pay about $1500.

Here is a review I did: https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=28032

Bright eh?
wow! that is truly bright......but expensive eh

cheers

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
True dat!!!! Night riding is sweet, it makes riding the "same old trails" a whole new experiance.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Don't need to be a HID. My 20W Jet Phantom is brighter and cheaper than most HIDs. Look at http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/lightshootout/ and compare the non-HID Phantom to the HID lights (I'm not even sure if they use the 20W Jet or the 15W in the pic).

In HIDs favor, HIDs do tend to have lighter batteries that hold longer charges... but the light is less natural and you can't turn them off and on at will (as I understand them).

All that aside night riding is a blast!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dang Trevor thats a nice light wish I had one of those Nite Riding is so much fun!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Locoman said:
Don't need to be a HID. My 20W Jet Phantom is brighter and cheaper than most HIDs. Look at http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/lightshootout/ and compare the non-HID Phantom to the HID lights (I'm not even sure if they use the 20W Jet or the 15W in the pic).

In HIDs favor, HIDs do tend to have lighter batteries that hold longer charges... but the light is less natural and you can't turn them off and on at will (as I understand them).

All that aside night riding is a blast!
I have the Phantom I as well. The 20W light is more than you will ever need for anything. Lasts forever too. Read reviews about it. 5.00 rating and there's a bunch of reviews. That says it all. Matt

·
Registered
19 Posts
NRSDude said:
Thanks-
Sam
We have had some great times night riding in Tn....in the Big South Fork area....National Park Service does allow night riding....it is a blast....esp when all of the animals are watching you and you see their eyes reflecting in your lights.....watch out for the skunks though.... :eek:

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
HIDden pleasures

Even though I'm not working right now, I find that I still prefer to go riding at night than in the daytime.

For one thing, that's when most of my riding buds are able to meet- after work. Also, I don't need to worry about sunscreen or excessive heat (though the mosquitoes are out in full-force.)

Originally started night riding b/c there was no light at all after work, and that was the only alternative in the wintertime. And it's become addictive- it makes a familiar trail seem new, there are mysterious creatures about (including human ones), and there's the thrill of pausing with the lights all off.........gee, it sure does get dark out in the woods! Where'd all those stars come from? Hey- what was that noise?!

I get goose bumps just thinking about a fun night ride :cool: oops I mean :) don't need those sunglasses!

·
Registered
36 Posts
pimpbot said:
But there isn't much of anywhere to go that is legal around here. Sometimes a bud and I do urban assault at the local school grounds. Stairs are fun at night.

The only legal stuff around here I have found is Briones. On the signs, they say close at 10:00 PM whereas most other places around here close at sunset. They actually hand out tix at China Camp.... $350 IIRC. Ouch!

Yeah, I strap on the Ultra Death Ray 12/20/32W light to the bars and the 10W head trip along with an LED headlight. That combo covers everything.
The last time I rode China camp at night was back b4 daylight savings. How recent was the ticket?....my buddy and I want to hit some night riding but if they are giving out tickets then I will stay out of China Camp. Night riding is a blast esp. when standard time comes around. I use a helmet light with a bar mounted niterider. Remember to bring a mini mag liite just in case the light fails then you are screwed!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.