Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many bikes I've done this both ways and have had better results Buying the parts online and having an LBS build the bike. I did this with my IF Crown Jewel Road bike. This is not the thing for the Novice However I noticed if you want something special bike shops take forever and a day to hunt the parts up you want then you pay full retail and sales tax. You order the stuff online, many times no shipping, no tax and a Discount price. Then have an LBS put it together.

I really don't need a whole lot of LBS advice I thinking about building my own bikes and just having wheels built and more advanced operations that require expensive special tools and such.

Steel Freak:crazy::crazy:

·
Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what a fascinating post.
No Trolling here. I checked your profile work in a bike shop huh?
Times are tough people need to look at their options and learn to be resourceful.
If thats trolling I dont know what to tell ya.

SF:crazy::crazy:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Understood about finding the best deal you can. I can understand if you were to shop online and build your own in your garage but I for one would feel uncomfortable to walk into a shop and say, hey guys, could you put this together for me, I purchased it all on-line.

Thing is, you can't buy certain brands on-line and commend those MFGs for supporting the LBS. Without them, where would you go to pick up that 29er tube Friday day night before your ride in the morning? I am just getting back into this, but I have always supported the LBS.

·
SamuraiBunnyGuy
2,587 Posts
that's louie armstrong that played the trumpet,,, i think he started out in the mos eisley cantina

on a more thread relevant note (a rare longhairmike occurance),,, i used to do all my own bike building and mechanics before i suddenly realized 15 years of bike technology had outpaced me... now i have to start over from the beginning

I for one would feel uncomfortable to walk into a shop and say, hey guys, could you put this together for me, I purchased it all on-line.
that's why you have a friend with big titties take your bike into the shop for you

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
What's an on-line retailer. Chad at Red Barn bikes is a LBS out of Montana. His prices kick butt over most. Now the Boys at Landis (Phx) treat very well also. So I use both. :thumbsup:

·
Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I work on Cars for a living, I think its time to buy some specialized tools to put my bike together. The bike shop takes to long to get anything done. I've broke spokes on a wheel, come in on Sat and they need the wheel till wed.

It's not so much about the money, I'm having a frame built and want it to become my dream bike. I like most of the LBS in Phoenix, I will probably buy my GF's next bike complete but for this project I think it's time to wrench most of it my self. My LBS has a good wheel builder will probably go that way on the wheels.

Most bike shops want to sell what's in stock if it is not in stock then they got to find it.

I suppose my hobby of 15 yrs or a lifetime if you count my BMX years is getting to the point where I need to get more Bike tools. I love the LBS I just dont want them to be my crutch

·
Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a little of both, Having wheels built by a wheel builder either at an LBS, or having Joe Young build me another set.

The Key words are Custom Bike. Not Production Bike. I was tired when I started this thread last night.

I also realize this is not a popular subject so sorry if I've wasted a thread on this subject

·
Registered
242 Posts
Not many will say they are gunna buy online vs. an LBS. They get flamed for it.

However, it depends if you really do save by buying online. I saved $400 on my frame by buying online but bought various other parts locally and online. Had it built locally.
Though if you bought or had a shop build it, they are probably gunna give you lifetime tuneups and discounts.

There are benefits to both. Weigh them out with what works best for you.

You worked to earn your money, do what you want.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I do purchase a fair amount online, but try to buy as much as I can in the LBS to still help support! Many common things will come from the LBS - but - once I start to get into some of the more odd/non stocked parts its just easier to order it online (last time I tried to order a Park Tool Mavic spoke wrench waited two weeks and found it hadn't even been ordered yet)

My latest build (a cyclocross bike) came from a mix of lightly used (wheels shifters cranks) and new (frame tires and derailleurs) - Frame and tires were bought new at a couple of LBS's - rest CL or eBay

I prefer the custom built bike myself - I've found I have my preferences for components and parts that work for me and my style of riding. Of the current horses in the stable, only one is a complete bike (the wifes mountain) wasn't a ground up frame build. The last two have been frame-ups including custom paint on the frames for that "personal" touch.

As far as tools go - I've been building a bit of a collection for a while, buying one or things every few weeks or months, and I've now amassed quite a collection. (For some reason I bought a bunch of Campy tools this weekend..... and I don't have anything Campy yet) I also tend to keep a decent set of spare parts on hand, so as far as things such as cables, housings, brake pads, cleats I've got enough to re-do a bike or two at any given time (I do not work in, or for a shop, and currently do not do any repair work for others) It does make it easy to be able to repair just about anything at home. The tools I don't have are the one for frame facing, frame straighting, etc (the really really expensive ones where my once in 5 years use doesn't justify the cost)

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Not many will say they are gunna buy online vs. an LBS. They get flamed for it.

However, it depends if you really do save by buying online. I saved $400 on my frame by buying online but bought various other parts locally and online. Had it built locally.
Though if you bought or had a shop build it, they are probably gunna give you lifetime tuneups and discounts.

There are benefits to both. Weight them out with what works best for you.

You worked to earn your money, do what you want.
Won't be the last time I get flamed. ;)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've always wondered (well not always, but recently) why local bike shops didn't pool together and place large stock orders to get the volume discount that online stores get. For instance, all the Phoenix LBS's place 1 order, shipped somewhere central, and get a discount, which is passed on to the consumers. Everyone sells the same stuff,for the most part, and everyone needs to make a profit. I'm an ex LBS employee (who really misses the deals), I currently get paid very little (glad to have a job,though), so my buys are online. I'd love to support the locals, and will, once the boss supports $$$ me.

·
Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Truth be told, most LBS are poorly managed. You tell some of these guys what you want and it's like they have ADD or something.

A shout out to REI in Phoenix, I dropped off a wheel with broken spokes on Sat and picked it up sunday and was able to ride it to work. Heck I'm considering having REI build my custom Bike.
Now that would make a heck of a thread
Custom bike built at REI Phoenix

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I try to support my LBS as much as possible. I have bought three new bikes and two used... all three new at an LBS. Most of my maintenance stuff comes from LBS (tires, stans, gloves, tubes, etc...) but if I am buying something big (Wheelset, fork etc... ) and I can get the same thing online for 40% less, I am buying online.

I would still say about 75% of my bike money goes to the LBS. Enough that I don't feel guilty at all when I make online purchases.

·
SamuraiBunnyGuy
2,587 Posts
I've always wondered (well not always, but recently) why local bike shops didn't pool together and place large stock orders to get the volume discount that online stores get. .
its not just the volume discount, its all the overhead of having to rent or buy a physical building, pay for all the associated utilities for said building, comply with all local regulations and ordinances, obtain and pay for all necessary permits, pay for security and insurance for the store, and insurance for liability in case a customer or employee gets hurt. staff that store with employees, and have limited store hours (only being open 8 hours a day is severely limiting yourself) and pulling in enough customers during those hours to actually turn a profit.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.