Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From Wes Williams founder of Willits Brand Bicyles.

"Most guys are just in denial [about 29ers]. They don't want to admit that they've been wrong. They don't want to spend any money because they already spent it on full-suspension 26-inch junk. You know that $hit's garbage. People are throwing their money at archaic technology. Even 100 years ago, adults didn't ride 26-inch wheels, only little children did.

Hmmmm, I think they were riding these..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
ISuckAtRiding said:
i usually dont say anything untill someone bashes 26'ers, but i've beaten MANY 29'ers on my little wheeled bike. The rider makes the bike, the bike doesnt make the rider.
I love my 29er but I have to agree with you. I see the advantages of the 29er for me, but thats why there are multiple sizes. Ride whatever makes you happy and stop trashin the other guys.

·
Registered
16,860 Posts
the munts said:

They were riding these me thinks. And sporting some stunning facial hair
Neat. That bike looks like the Slingshot. I'm going to swipe the pic and post it in the Slingshot thread, 'kay?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Debating a 26 vs 29 is the same as debating a 18 inch frame versus a 21 inch frame.

My old bike is a 21 inch. Entirely too big for me. But my newer bike is 18 and fits me right. Am I wrong for using an 18?

I'd like a 29. Maybe my next bike will be a 29. But I have a 26 and I love it. For all I know maybe my next bike will be another 26. I actually wouldn't be surprised if that's what I'd choose in the future. To argue an opinion is worthless.

·
Registered
16,860 Posts
ISuckAtRiding said:
yea, i kinda think that douche bag lost a few potential customers. Not that i knew/cared who he was anyways. nor does it seem like he's worried about it. Not untill it hits him in the wallet anyways.
Why would he lose customers from this interview?

·
Registered
820 Posts
aka brad said:
From Wes Williams founder of Willits Brand Bicyles.

"Most guys are just in denial [about 29ers]. They don't want to admit that they've been wrong. The don't want to spend any money because they already spent it on full-suspension 26-inch junk. You know that $hit's garbage. People are throwing their money at archaic technology. Even 100 years ago, adults didn't ride 26-inch wheels, only little children did.

Hmmmm, I think they were riding these..
Ooooo, that had to really....hurt!:eek:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Nat said:
Why would he lose customers from this interview?
How could he not??

I'd want to talk to somebody that has a broad, unbiased point of view about everything. That way you can understand the pros and cons from an experienced person and ultimately you can get the best bike that suits -y-o-u-. If someone is spouting their mouth off like that, pushing me into a biased corner that maybe isn't right for me, that's the last place I'd be shopping. What an *******.

·
Registered
16,860 Posts
Roasted said:
How could he not??

I'd want to talk to somebody that has a broad, unbiased point of view about everything. That way you can understand the pros and cons from an experienced person and ultimately you can get the best bike that suits -y-o-u-. If someone is spouting their mouth off like that, pushing me into a biased corner that maybe isn't right for me, that's the last place I'd be shopping. What an *******.
I figured that since Willits only makes 29ers, anyone who would consider one of his bikes would have already decided on a 29er prior to contacting him and wouldn't be dissuaded by the pro-29er rhetoric. Willits Bikes is old-school custom 29er, so it wouldn't attract someone who is dabbling or on-the-fence about the wheel size. I bet most of you guys have never even heard of him, right? He's definitely not mainstream. Anyone who would shop for a Willits has long ago decided that 29ers are for him, so Wes' talk would just be background noise.

Do you disagree?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Roasted said:
How could he not??
that's like asking how a company that only makes derailleurs could slag on single speeders... :D

you're not his market!

although to be fair, (even nat would agree i think) he MAY have guaranteed that you never COULD be his client...

there's a line between raving about option A and slagging option B
this seems to fall into the latter.

·
Registered
16,860 Posts
byknuts said:
that's like asking how a company that only makes derailleurs could slag on single speeders... :D

you're not his market!

although to be fair, (even nat would agree i think) he MAY have guaranteed that you never COULD be his client...

there's a line between raving about option A and slagging option B
this seems to fall into the latter.
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Anyone who would take offense was not his market anyway, so I think his statements are harmless to his business even though they are inflammatory and will tick some people off. Someone who is curious about a 29er would more likely head to the LBS to try a Gary Fisher, Specialized, Kona, or some other relatively affordable mass-produced bike. They wouldn't start with a pricey custom frame from a micro-builder who has a 2+ month wait time. He's been building 29er bikes for some 15+ years so he probably feels pretty secure in his niche.

Think of him as an extremist if you will. God knows there are plenty of people who share his polarized views who want his bikes.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
ISuckAtRiding said:
well i guess if his customer base is a bunch of douche bag elitists, then he probably wont.
Wow, thanks for letting me know who I am! This is my Willits....... :eek:

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
to slocaus: nothing like the internet to void the need for self-awareness!
why be an individual... someone out there wants to pigeonhole your existence!!
just relinquish your mental acuity and let them...

the guy used the words "douche bag", he's obviously very intent on his mission.
he even spelled douchebag as two separate words... serious stuff.
:D

nice bike! real "townie" feel to it with those bars!

·
(not that fast)
954 Posts
Silly question: how would a full squish 26 be considered archaic compared to a rigid single speed 29er? just because someone adds 3 inches to a wheel, I don't see it as a bigger accomplishment than lightweight, responsive suspension and lightweight, realiable shifting. That's not to take anything away from willits bikes, just thought the statement was a little silly.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts