Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had the pleasure of owning a polished bike before, so I'm not sure what cable (housing) rub will do to the beautiful finish. It would be nice if it was impervious (like brushed ti), but I can see where the frame might quickly lose its luster if subjected to the movement of the cables unprotected.

I couldn't tell from the Flux database if anyone was using protective tape of any sort (except for Mfezi and the blue tape!). Maybe it's just that no one else cares, but I'd rather keep the frame looking nice. So, what's everyone doing?

·
Registered
8,015 Posts
Protective Tape

I'm currently running a black 5-Spot, and using the fuzzy side of black self-stick velcro for protection. Works great, nearly invisible, and my wife has tons of the stuff.

When I've had polished bikes (Zaskar, LTS), I found that 3M Scotch Mailing Tape works great, if you just buy their heavy duty version. It's about 3 times as thick as the regular, one roll costs less than $5, and it'll last forever.

Another good option, if you're determined to spend more money, is to cut up Park Tire Boots. They might be even a little thicker.

In any event, you don't have to buy a $20 roll of ski protector tape for bike use, unless you have a dozen or so friends in need of the same kind of thing!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I couldn't tell from the Flux database if anyone was using protective tape of any sort (except for Mfezi and the blue tape!). QUOTE]

Apart from my blue tape that I am obviously never ever going to live down, I have tried to protect the seat tube using a couple of layers of electrical tape due to the Goodridge hoses eating their way through the finish.

This I don't think will last too long, but if replaced regularly is dirt cheap. May try the Velcro idea though next time.

Blue Tape Boy aka Mfezi!

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts
Mfezi said:
I couldn't tell from the Flux database if anyone was using protective tape of any sort (except for Mfezi and the blue tape!). QUOTE]

Apart from my blue tape that I am obviously never ever going to live down, I have tried to protect the seat tube using a couple of layers of electrical tape due to the Goodridge hoses eating their way through the finish.

This I don't think will last too long, but if replaced regularly is dirt cheap. May try the Velcro idea though next time.

Blue Tape Boy aka Mfezi!
So where is the best place to get high quality blue tape? I am having trouble finding a good source ;) .

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am, Stuff called bike shield its great,really durable its clear and does not go yellow.
You get loads including a strip that goes under your down tube for those rocks that fly up.
Ive had it on two bikes over three years and got loads left.
Costs 15 pounds in England.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kosmo said:
I'm currently running a black 5-Spot, and using the fuzzy side of black self-stick velcro for protection. Works great, nearly invisible, and my wife has tons of the stuff.
Yeah, black bikes are nice that way. The black on the '05 Spots is indistinguishable from black electrical tape, which is pretty much the coolest thing I can imagine.

I'll have to look into that heavy duty mailing tape; I have some "helicopter" tape that works pretty well, but it's wicked expensive. I'd rather not use it if I didn't have to though, which is why I was hoping that either a) the rub did not visibly damage the finish, or b) like Lambone suggested the frame could easily be returned to its original luster. Can anyone confirm/deny that either is the case?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Does anyone know if this stuff will take off or affect the powder coat when it is removed? I'd hat to put it on for protection only to have it ruin my paint job when I peeled it off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No problem...

WV_XCE said:
Does anyone know if this stuff will take off or affect the powder coat when it is removed? I'd hat to put it on for protection only to have it ruin my paint job when I peeled it off.
... removing it from powder coat, peels off without any damage to paintwork. :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've tried to use some of those Carbon patches on my Handjob, and I don't know if it is the Cove with its smaller diameter steel tubes, but they are very difficult to mold to the frames shape. Maybe it is a bad worker blaming his tools again ;)

Mfezi

·
Full Monty Bike Bore
483 Posts
Mfezi said:
I've tried to use some of those Carbon patches on my Handjob, and I don't know if it is the Cove with its smaller diameter steel tubes, but they are very difficult to mold to the frames shape.Mfezi
Nah, I've had no joy with carbon effect patches either. They just aren't supple enough for anything other than a flat surface.

I recently used a small kit from Cane Creek which seemed pretty good. Only time will tell...

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
My Hammerhead is polished.
I use a clear tape made by 3M which is similar to Clearbra. Mtn High Cyclery sells a kit consisting of the tape, burnisher & application solution. It works well & is completely transparent.

As others have said, polished frames can be buffed out with 0000 steel wool then Mother's Mag alu polish & look like new. But on my HH some of the chain rub was actually creating gouges in the aluminum so I placed the tape more for protection and less for cosmetics.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Mfezi said:
I've tried to use some of those Carbon patches on my Handjob, and I don't know if it is the Cove with its smaller diameter steel tubes, but they are very difficult to mold to the frames shape. Maybe it is a bad worker blaming his tools again ;)

Mfezi
If you heat them with a hair dryer then apply they work much better.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
As others have said, polished frames can be buffed out with 0000 steel wool then Mother's Mag alu polish & look like new.
Doesn't the Flux actually have a clear annodization? If so, would this prohibit the ability to polish and buff out scratches?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.