Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a front fender for my Stumpy to keep the crap from flying off the front tire. I never had this problem with previous tires, but the Adrenaline seems to grab everything and throw it.

Post pics of your front fenders and the weight (if you know it).

·
Registered
485 Posts
homemade is the best...

you can construct a really effective homemade front fender. when i made mine i was mainly conserned with mud in my eyes durring races. we got a lot of rain in ga this past summer. it was driving me crazy.
i came up with a couple of designs. the easiest is a peice of plastic thats been cut to whatever shape you see fit that si fixed to the downtube via zipties. for my purposes i just positioned the plastic flap/fender so i couldnt see the back half of my tire while seated on the bike. thats what is going to throw mud up at you. there are other ways to do it, but if you could get ahold of just some zipties and heavy duty plastic and about a half hour to tinker, you should be able to come up with something that will weigh next to nothing and work great.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Mudslide

Lumbee1 said:
I am considering a front fender for my Stumpy to keep the crap from flying off the front tire. I never had this problem with previous tires, but the Adrenaline seems to grab everything and throw it.

Post pics of your front fenders and the weight (if you know it).
I'm using one on my Stumpy FSR-XC. Works great, pretty lightweight. I'm using a Zefal seat post mounted one I got at ReCyclerey. I'm using a cut-up gallon milk jug homebrew fender on the suspension link to keep mud off the shaft of the rear shock. Ugly, but works.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fender weight?

I'm expecting Topeak "Defenders" in my stocking for Christmas. I don't think they are particularly light or heavy for that matter, but the fender weight won't make a big difference. If you are riding in conditions that require fenders, the mud and crud that packs on your bike soon makes fender weight immaterial IMHO. Make sure the fenders protect you and the bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just ordered the $12 Topeak Defender FX and it looks pretty cool and seems sturdy. I also like the fact that the fender parts easily detach from the bracket when you don't need it.
However, the steer tube mounting plug won't fit on my 2007 Marz All Mtn fork. It's too thick even with the screw totally backed out. Not only that, but the fork crown on the All Mtn is wider than most- almost 3" front to back so the Topeak bracket isn't wide enough to clear the front of the crown. Any suggestions?
I like Marz's own Integrated Fender for this fork but some reviewers say it's too short in the back (the most effective part of a fender too!) and at almost triple the price it doesn't seem worth it.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, I forgot I made this thread. I remembered searching for a few weeks for a fender and finally gave up. Once the Adrenaline/Resolution was broken in, it wasn't kicking up as much debris.

Sorry hwwallbanger, no idea on how to fix your problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.