Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Too busy looking good
361 Posts
I completed the 100 last year, was my first time. I'll throw out the following tips:

-> I went in only knowing a little bit about the course from the Firecracker 50. The first 15 miles, over and past Wheeler pass, were in my opinion the hardest part of the course and took me by surprise. I remember thinking "Man, if the whole day is like this I may be in trouble." Just ride your pace and remember it gets easier, for example loop 3 is a piece of cake because all the climbing is on a road.

-> Don't be thrown by the 2 way section near the middle of loop 2. I hadn't studied my map well enough and when I hit racer traffic going the opposite way I wasted time trying to make sure I wasn't off course.

-> If you want to take advantage of the post-ride food and beer, finish faster than 13 hours, otherwise you'll miss it. ;)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HOser:
Great points! From looking at the course, I was thinking that it would get harder, since each loop is longer than the previous and with more climbing as well.

So, the first climb up Wheeler Pass is on single track? From the description, it sounds like it is a jeep road of some sort.

How were the aide stations?

Vance

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's a Mixed Bag

The climb up to Wheeler Pass is a combination of jeep road lower down and single track at the top, then more single track down to the bike path. The jeep trail gets very rocky and steep near the top and the single track gets very steep at points with some hike a bike, including crossing some snow fields which vary in size from year to year. The climb is a gut buster. I am a flat lander and two years ago I quit after the first lap becasue I was already toast.

The climbing on the rest of the course is a lot more reasonable and the course abounds in great, long portions of single track. I thought the aid stations were well stocked but I heard some others complain that the aid station near the end of loop two was a little sparse. The main aid station at the start/finish certainly had everything I wanted and more. And the after race feed is terrific. The race deserves more participation than it gets. I plan on going back for my third try this year but don't expect I will ever be able to make the whole 100 miles unless they make it a two day event:D

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jbkr54:
Thanks for the insight! That is great stuff! I am from Austin, TX. We don't have any big mountains, but I have been spending a lot of time on the 2 biggest hills in down. Last weekend, I climbed 12,500 feet. This weekend, I will bust through 14,000 feet of climbing.

Jump on over to the Yahoo group we have:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/breck100riders/

Be positive! See you in Breck!

Vance

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steadyflow:
This willbe my fist time in the Breck 100 too.

Jump on over to the yahoo group and so we can get some of the Breck vets on there and pick their brain.

"You gotta love to suffer!"

·
Too busy looking good
361 Posts
jbkr54 said:
The climb up to Wheeler Pass is a combination of jeep road lower down and single track at the top, then more single track down to the bike path. The jeep trail gets very rocky and steep near the top and the single track gets very steep at points with some hike a bike, including crossing some snow fields which vary in size from year to year. The climb is a gut buster. I am a flat lander and two years ago I quit after the first lap becasue I was already toast.

The climbing on the rest of the course is a lot more reasonable and the course abounds in great, long portions of single track. I thought the aid stations were well stocked but I heard some others complain that the aid station near the end of loop two was a little sparse. The main aid station at the start/finish certainly had everything I wanted and more. And the after race feed is terrific. The race deserves more participation than it gets. I plan on going back for my third try this year but don't expect I will ever be able to make the whole 100 miles unless they make it a two day event:D
Great summary of the nature of the course, this was exactly what I had in mind when I said the first 15 miles is the hardest part of the course and is a hell of a way to warm up. It's difficult psychologically more than physically though, stick with it, ride your pace, and it's doable. In 2008 I wasn't exactly a pack leader, and in fact was near the back on the first loop. But, I passed a number of people on loops 2 and 3 as my pace stayed pretty constant while a lot of people burned themselves out too quickly. In fact I think there was about a 25% DNF rate in 2008 for the full 100.

Of course I'm not including people like Josh Tostado and the other front runners in my assessment. There's plenty of of guys and gals that start fast and stay fast, amazing. I'm happy with my 64th place though, good enough for average guy with a family and deskjob. :D

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Loop 1 Has the longest sustained climb and tops out at the high point (12,420') of the race The fist part climbs a ski area service road which is not steep, but it is long. At treeline it leaves the ski area turns into a rocky jeep road with one section that you might have to push. Well above treeline it turns onto single track. You will probably have to push the last little bit to the top of the pass although some have ridden it. The the decent off the pass is a fast, but rocky in sections single track. keep in control of your speed! At the bottom, you will get onto a paved bike path for about 6 miles all either flat or downhill. From there you will turn onto the peaks trail and climb a little less than a thousand feet on mildly technical single track one you top out the trail rolls on trail ranging from totally buff to quite rocky. You finish on pavement into town.
Loop two starts with a single track climb then gets onto a section used by the F50. This loop is mostly single track on the Colorado trail with lots of ups and downs. The CT has one good long climb. On that climb there is a tree with a huge burl on it right next to the trail. If you're looking, you can't miss it. Pat it as you go by for good luck. (Hug it for even better luck :) ) the single track is mostly not technical and few of the climbs are all that steep, but the relentless up and down takes it's toll. The descents are very fun.
Loop 3 uses a lot of Boreas Pass rd which is an old railroad grade so it averages something like a 3% grade. After you crest Boreas pass you'll descents the Gold dust trail (there are a few ups and downs towards the end) to the little town of Como. The Gold dust has a rock garden section of trail that is technical enough that you might not want to try to ride it but that section isn't very long. After that, you climb back up the east slope section of Boreas pass raod then descend the section of road that you climbed, do a little single track and scream back to the finish.

Suggestions: Hydrate, eat and find your pace. Enjoy the scenery if you can. Get here at least a few days in advance to acclimate if possible. It's probably one of the toughest 100 milers in the country. Thane has actually changed the original course (you should have seen the first version :lol:) around to make it feasible for more folks to finish, but it's still a mountain bikers course.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
mcmurv said:
zrm:
Thanks for the input man! Are you riding it this year? Jump over and join the yahoo group. The Breck 100 really has me jazzed! I can't wait for the suffering to start! Bring it on baby!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/breck100riders/

Vance
Nope, I'll be busy the whole week before with the Breck Epic.I just designed the course which is why I know it so well. I'm too old and fat to actually race them:lol:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
zrm:
Wow! Course designer for the Breck 100! We are honored for you post! Thank you for taking the time. Did you design the Breck Epic course too?

Man, I would love to buy you a beer when I get to town. I will be there on the 14th, dm me if you are interested!

Vance

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
mcmurv said:
zrm:
Wow! Course designer for the Breck 100! We are honored for you post! Thank you for taking the time. Did you design the Breck Epic course too?

Man, I would love to buy you a beer when I get to town. I will be there on the 14th, dm me if you are interested!

Vance
Honored? HA! Hey, if you're going to honor anyone, honor Thane and his crew of folks. They're the ones who do all the hard, non glamorous work it takes to put the race on. Marshalls, timers, markers, the folks who man the aid stations, they're the heroes. I just described three of my favorite loops, tweaked them a bit to fit the mileage requirements and drew them on a map. It really wasn't that hard. Same with Breck Epic. I've had a lot to do with course design, but Mike McCormick has provided the overall vision and there are a lot of people who have and will put a whole lot more into it than me.. (Now if the sun would shine and the temperatures would rise to close to "normal" and melt all the snow that is still on the trails we'd be in good shape).

Anyway, I don't drink, but thanks for the kind thought! It's a great race and I hope you have a blast!:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Breck 100

Any one doing this on single speed? I have been wanting to do the Leadville but have always seemed to miss it. This ride is gaining some strong appeal to me!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
For Leadville 100 this year I'm riding my Dos Niner. How do you guys that have done this think the Breck 100 is better suited? Hardtail or full suspension? One guy said this is a mountainbiker's coarse which is making me think bring the Lenz Leviathan 4.0.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
ethan303 said:
Any one doing this on single speed? I have been wanting to do the Leadville but have always seemed to miss it. This ride is gaining some strong appeal to me!!!
It's a great singlespeed course, sign up and you will not regret it. The party afterward with food and beer is awesome as well. Good group of people who put this one on - Thane is one hellofa racer himself so understand that Breck is the real deal - go for it, you will not be disappointed.

·
Livin' the Dream
506 Posts
I did it last year on my ASR. I can't imagine riding that race on anything other than a full squish. Climbing up to Wheeler Peak is a chore, no doubt. I got an incredible amount of satisfaction though once I got to the top and looked back at the speck that was downtown Breckenridge. It's like looking at it from an airplane. The downhill on the backside of Wheeler Peak is stupid fast and I thought fairly technical with all the snow runoff (slick) and boulders to contend with. The Breck 100 is a tough 100 miler (just look at the finish times compared to LT100), if not the toughest but the scenery is spectacular.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm considering this one - to fulfill my open quest of finishing a century at elevation.
Does anyone have an idea how it compares to the late E100 (ran into the cutoff time at mile 81) - or the equally late Durango MTB 100 (third loop got cancelled due to biblical weather conditions at the time)?
I'm mainly trying to figure out whether I should go with the 29er hard tail or the full squish (am certainly bringing gears). I would have used the first in Durango, the latter in Park City...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts