Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Wikipedia for Mountain Biking lists "John Frey" as a "Marin County mountain biking innovator" who founded MountainBikes with Fisher, Kelly and Ritchey. Yet, no history book mentions him, nor any web site other than to quote this wikipedia entry. Is the name merely sort of an anagram for Jeffrey, as in Jeffrey Richman? (see: Richman Mountain Bike?) Or John Finley Scott? (Who financed both Ritchey and K&F) Or is he a John Galt figure who drove mountain biking behind the scenes? (see: John Galt - Wikipedia)

His name was added to Wikipedia on July 9, 2017 by an unknown user who made no other changes other to add his name. My guess is that this is all just a joke. However, this misinformation has now propagated widely into various languages and publications who all trust wikipedia...

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
This single post has a pic attached named :"john frey bikes jpg"

more hits
This might be the same guy (paywall)

Here's a John Frey on Facebook who seems to have retro cycling interests. But he's not old enough to have invented mountain bikes

JINHUA Frey POWER SCI-TECH CO., LTD probably not related

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good research. This guy seems to the right age and have cycling interests: John Frey

But, he wasn't in Marin at the time. Hmmm, the question is, why did someone hack this name in? It really doesn't matter. After a few more confirmations, I'll see to editing John out of the history books. Hmmm, Orwell continues to become more relevant today, with his quote: "Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past."

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Almost certainly a different person, but there was a cycling road racer active in the 80s/90s named John Frey. He was from New Mexico and in 1990 set the US national record for 40km road time trial at 47:35 that is still unbeaten 30+ years later.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Other John Frey references... (really just regurgitated info).

Dirt Gloves: Famed bicycle manufacturer Joe Breeze is typically known for making the first purpose-built mountain bike. But, a man named Tom Ritchey was the first to bring mountain biking to the masses. Tom teamed up with friends Gary Fisher, Charlie Kelly, and John Frey to build frames for mountain-biking, founding a company called MountainBikes.

Bikexchange: The first mountain bike models were built around road bike frames with wider forks to fit the bigger tires, straight handlebars, heavier tubing, and slightly different geometry. The men behind the first prototypes were Gary Fisher, Charlie Kelly, John Frey, and Tom Ritchey. They also founded Fisher Mountain bikes.

In this popular photo, I know three of the four. Who is the man second from the left? John Frey?

Could always reach out to Gary Fisher and him ask about John Grey... @Gary_Fisher

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Other John Frey references... (really just regurgitated info).

Could always reach out to Gary Fisher and him ask about John Grey... @Gary_Fisher
I think that Dirtgloves and Bikexchange just copied blindly from Wikipedia. You're right - Kelly & Fisher would know. I'm just afraid to bother them about something which is probably pretty trivial to them - and hopefully all fixed. The problem is whether people will now propagate from the secondary sources without rechecking Wikipedia.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those guys put their pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us. They're not going to get mad for asking a question. If you're interested in the correct history, ask the people who were actually there.
You're so right. I just sent a message to Repack Rider, who would probably find all this pretty interesting. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
You're so right. I just sent a message to Repack Rider, who would probably find all this pretty interesting. Thanks.
Charlie Kelly's (RepackRider) MOUNTAIN BIKE HUBSITE is interesting. A lot of great pictures from the 1970's. The wide black and white image showing the Fall 1977 cross country enduro race participants caught my attention. Second from the left... Wende Cragg. Yup, a woman. She was known as the "token woman" on the scene back then. I am familiar with her photography (check out her Repack photos), but didn't know she also participated in those early race events. I believe she's on a 50+ pound Klunker in that image.

·
Ride what you like!
1,187 Posts
No. To say Wende was "token woman" is demeaning, implies she was there because they needed a woman to fill quotas. She was there because she was an awesome rider (Repack record holder), and tough as nails.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.