Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
powered by peanut butter.
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got registered for my first Snake Creek Gap TT. Doing the 34 miler on a single speed. Who else is going? I'm a little nervous because my fitness isn't what it used to be, but I have no intentions of racing anyone other than myself, so as long as I'm back before the sun sets, it's all good. And I'm much excited than nervous--I've wanted to do this event for a couple of years, but the stars didn't align until now.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Good luck man, personally taking this year off after doing 3 years in a row and going to heckle/support/shuttle some buddies that are riding it. If you see a group in the woods giving whiskey hand ups and screaming into a bullhorn that's us.

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:thumbsup:

Well, if you think of it, keep an eye out for a guy on a black and green Salsa El Mariachi who responds to Adam--he's fond of whiskey handups. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
This will be my 4th year doing this race. Took last year off since they took away the shuttle to the start. When they announced it was coming back this year I signed up for the 34 as well. The last 8 miles are nasty as I'm sure you've heard. Weather is going to be a factor it looks like too. It's a very hard 34 miles but an awesome race! Have fun! Oh and there is a river about a mile in that's knee deep. I'm praying they have the man made bridge they setup just for the race. Supposed to be 25 degrees and if you get wet there it's bad. I've carried extra socks or hand towel to dry off after the crossing in sub freezing temps

·
Registered
481 Posts
I read somewhere that people use large plastic bags to put their feet in while they cross the river. Anyone tried that?

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't tried trash bags, but it could work. I'm going to bring new socks and a camp towel and just cross bare foot if the bridge isn't up. Weather forecast is looking interesting for the weekend. I think I'm ready for anything but cold rain... that would suck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've tried the trash bag and it failed. Cleats puncture the bag and it fills up. It wills keep your legs from an ice bath but not feet. If the bridge is up we're golden, if not I'm bringing a towel and dry socks

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'll be there for the Feb 11th race on my El Mariachi. It'll be my first time at the Snake. I ended up having another commitment, so I can't make the first race this weekend.

Post up how the first round goes!

·
Registered
481 Posts
I've tried the trash bag and it failed. Cleats puncture the bag and it fills up. It wills keep your legs from an ice bath but not feet. If the bridge is up we're golden, if not I'm bringing a towel and dry socks
I wondered about that. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i was looking to do it this year but an idiot-move bike injury set me back and my fitness has not returned to my previous level or where it should be for me to enjoy the challenge of Snake Gap. The weather looks very interesting for the race tomorrow, very interesting lol. Best of luck and tight spokes to those riding tomorrow!

·
Registered
181 Posts
They had everyone do just the last 17 because of the weather. The bus drivers to shuttle pulled out fri afternoon when they heard the weather forecast. 230 people still did the 17. I did it and it really wasn't bad even with the cold temps and snow. It took me 2 hours 15 minutes to complete the 17 miles and that was with 4 of us riding it together and waiting for each other. Looking forward to doing my 34 next month

·