Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm 99% sure I'm going to be buying a Spec. Stump. FSR Expert. Just so I know what I'm getting into maintenance wise, does anyone hate, love, or not really care about routing the cables down the downtube. For reference, I don't ride much riding in the wet, but it is my experience that a little muck goes a long way toward screwing things up. Thanks for any info.

Brent

·
Registered
417 Posts
pathfinder said:
Hey,

I'm 99% sure I'm going to be buying a Spec. Stump. FSR Expert. Just so I know what I'm getting into maintenance wise, does anyone hate, love, or not really care about routing the cables down the downtube. For reference, I don't ride much riding in the wet, but it is my experience that a little muck goes a long way toward screwing things up. Thanks for any info.

Brent
I hate routing on my Epic. Rear derailleur routing is stuck with mud after every long muddy race or ride and needs replacement or careful cleaning.

·
Registered
375 Posts
They work fine!

I was sceptical when the downtube cabling started appearing in the Enduro then Stumpjumper. After researching and talking to owners they seem to work OK. I thought worse case is that I will have to run full length cable. So decide to get a new trail bike, found an Enduro frame to replace my 00 Enduro. Providing you use the correct outer cable ends (eg the Shimano lipped ends with a rubber boot over them) and a full cable from BB to rear derailleur the shifting has been excellent even after a full day in the wet.

If you are worried about rock and stuff hitting the cable there are a few ways you can route the cables to minmise the risk.

Also see the Specialized threads for recommendations for cabling (look under Enduro cabling, apply for Stumpy also)

Don't worry they work fine.

Wayne

·
dirtbag
1,528 Posts
Just be sure to get good aftermarket cables

I've got a hardtail Stumpjumper and currently use Gore shift cables. Pretty smooth set-up than regular cable sets and no problems with shifting in the wet or muddy conditions. Once I run out of my stock of Gore shift cables I may have to go with the Avid Flak Jacket cables. They utilize a sheath over the exposed cables and special ferrules at the cable stops to keep the cables running like new.

You can see of pic of the Avid Flak Jackets on my bike. The red over the cables on the downtube are the "sheaths" I spoke about.

Attachments

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,734 Posts
No issues here

Only one of the bikes I own has top tube cable routing. I use standard stainless cables and generic housing and have never had a problem with shifting due to dirty downtube cables. I ride in a mix of dry and wet conditions (well I dont think I've been on a dry ride yet this year but that's another storry) and have found it to be no issue.

Actually I prefer the downtube routing as it allows the cables to flow more freely with less bends.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info

thanks all,

the cables just seemed a little exposed, but it doesn't seem like it will be a problem. LBS has 3 expert models assembled, it's kinda funny, but on one of them the cables do not cross over on the downtube. All three of them also have a big "loop" of cable right under the bottom bracket. Well still planning on getting the bike some time soon. Now it's just deciding disk or V-brake.

Thanks

Brent

1 - 7 of 7 Posts