Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone...
I'm looking to be educated on the joys of carbon wheels. Seems that lately there are many companies arising with carbon wheels with decent prices.

#1. Of these new companies and the older companies, who has the best warranty?

#2. Which of all the carbon wheel companies makes the best wheelset and why?

I'm looking for a rim that has a good warranty as I'm told you want that for carbon. Next, my riding is mostly XC with Trail, I will occasionally do some all mountain so I'm looking at a wheelset that can hold up to this kind of use. I think an all mountain wheelset or trail wheelset would cover my needs, I think.

From what I have gathered and from what most shops have told me and most riders have told me is that ENVE is the best and you get what you pay for, no one beats enve. At that price point they better be. I have seen they offer a 5 year warranty. Considering the new M60 wheels, XC Clincher, or AM wheelsets. My problem is I keep asking, do I want to pay this price, are they really all that?

Roval, I can't seem to get warranty info on them. Nox seems to have 2 year limited warranty. Sram I don't think only offers XC wheels and I'm not sure of the warranty. Light bike wheels, I don't know, do they even have warranty or you just buy another one cause they are so inexpensive? Easton, well I'm sure I'm sold on their hubs, I've good reports on the wheels but bad on the hubs. What is nice about enve or nox is that you can build up with I9 hubs, CK hubs, Hope hubs, or what every you like.

Anyway, thoughts and input here anyone? Tell me of other companies that I've missed, I know there has to more carbon wheel companies out there.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Reynolds is the only carbon wheel warranty I'm familiar with, I think they have a pretty fair program. They have a 2 year limited warranty, a lifetime crash replacement program (where they repair/replace it at discount) and an optional 2 year no questions asked replacement/repair program. My former boss has Reynolds wheels on his cross bike and he's been pretty happy with them, haven't ridden their mountain bike wheels yet but I'm told they're really nice.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You can get ~3 Derby hoops for the price of 1 Enve Hoop. I don't have much mileage on mine but feedback seems pretty good. If I do break one it'll likely be due to abuse and misuse. Plus I can always upgrade to whatever technology with the $1400/wheelset difference.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Ibis will have a solid warranty, and everything I've read about Derby rims is absolutely stellar. Mango Chris King hubs laced to Derby rims is what I'm drooling over for the next upgrade.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Reynolds hubs on their carbon AM wheels make the Eastons look like a paragon of engineering virtue.

So far:

Front wheel brake rotor mounting is at the far extreme of adjustment on the post mounts.

Freehub died. Reynolds rebuilt the rim onto a completely different design of hub... which has questionable bearing preload and loses the adaptability of the original hub (142x12 and 9mm qr) so I no longer have the product capability that I bought. Also the new hub's 142x12 adaptors are knurled so they will chew up the dropouts and damage the mating surface for all correctly specified flat 142x12 wheels I use.

The rim tolerance is so bad that tubeless tyres don't seat.

The only thing good about them is the extra money I paid on the reynolds assurance program... so I have recourse..

Honestly, the rim might be decent. The spokes are decent. The hubs are cheap far eastern generics. Tempting to rebuild onto decent hubs and get some usage out of the rims. At the moment I favour my Mavic SXs.

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 6 of 6 Posts