Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Pivot Firebird
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need poll the folks using this set or have used this set.

I've been riding 819s WITH 2.35 Nevegals for 3 years now with ZERO problems.

Despite what the MAVIC website says about NOT going over 2.3, has anyone else had any problems with 2.35s on their 819s?

I ask this because I'm building a new set for my new bike and EVERYONE on MTBR is warning me about my 2.35 being too big. It's got me wondering......But what haven't I had any issues with them?

Who else has 2.35 on their 819s?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
daugela said:
I need poll the folks using this set or have used this set.

Despite what the MAVIC website says about NOT going over 2.3, has anyone else had any problems with 2.35s on their 819s?

I ask this because I'm building a new set for my new bike and EVERYONE on MTBR is warning me about my 2.35 being too big. It's got me wondering......But what haven't I had any issues with them?

Who else has 2.35 on their 819s?
2.3 tires are fine on the 819. I do not like the way Nevegal 2.35s handle on the 829, but the "work".

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Used several 2.35 and 2.4 with zero issues. I'm 185 and stayed between 28-35 psi with diffferent tires on different trails. The same tire size differs between brands so a fat 2.35 or 2.4 would feel a bit unstable in certain situations. I liked my 2.25s best of all on that rim- usually a Nobby Nic.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
One Pivot said:
my 2.1 nevegals are too big for my 719's.. i guess if you like the way big floppy tires handle, then you're good to go.
For some reason the 2.1 nevegal tires are more floppy than the 2.35. Don't ask me how that works :eek:ut: I still haven't figured that out. However the 2.1 ust I have to run at 40psi so that they don't do weird stuff. The 2.35 ust has no issue on the 819 at 30-32psi.

No exp. with non ust nevegal tires on the 819 or 823 rims.

On my 819 the biggest tire that I felt worked well was the 2.35 nev. The 2.2 Rubber Queen is also a decent option and similar size ;)

·
Registered
Pivot Firebird
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AL29er said:
For some reason the 2.1 nevegal tires are more floppy than the 2.35. Don't ask me how that works :eek:ut: I still haven't figured that out. However the 2.1 ust I have to run at 40psi so that they don't do weird stuff. The 2.35 ust has no issue on the 819 at 30-32psi.

No exp. with non ust nevegal tires on the 819 or 823 rims.

On my 819 the biggest tire that I felt worked well was the 2.35 nev. The 2.2 Rubber Queen is also a decent option and similar size ;)
Why do you suppose som many think it's suicide to run a 2.35 on the 819. Again, I have had ZERO issues. I wonder if could feel the differnce running a wider rim. I"m thinking about getting the FLOWS.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I don't think it is an issue of suicide, it comes down to the shape of the tire. If you have a larger tire on a narrower rim, it will create a rounder profile which impacts handling. I had 819's for a while and they worked great on 2.35 and lower. I now have dt swiss 5.1's because I like to run a wider front tire like the Big Betty. The 5.1's flatten out the profile a bit more. Conversely, running a smaller tire on a wider rim can have negative impacts to handling as well.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
daugela said:
since they're going to be your wheels and tires, it sounds like you're obviously good to go with what has been working for you for a long time.

i've run 2.35's on 819's for a long time as well without issue.

·
Just Ride !
842 Posts
I have a set of EX 823's that im planing to throw on a set of 2.35's ..I hope this works ..

When i bought the 823's for my new ride ( thats not done yet) i thought it was a model # and not rim width LOL..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.