Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going to try this out tomorrow night. Neither of us has ridden Gold Canyon and I'm a little leary of camping so close to PHX, but wondering if anyone has first hand experience doing this? I'm mostly worried about trashed out campsites and late night side by side parades through camp, but I hope I'm just overthinking it.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I've camped out there, off Peralta Road. The big issue is most of the sites being taken up by RVers and Van life douchebags, mostly sites right off the main road. Sometimes I've had to go up more primitive roads to find a space away from others. Haven't had issues with side by sides, mostly its just traffic on the main road. But that is more in the morning especially weekends when hiker traffic driving out to trailheads turns into a parade.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Evdog. I'm in a high clearance 4x4 truck camper so the primitive roads aren't an issue, if I can score a clean and relatively quiet spot. Otherwise we might default to our usual spot with much better camping but no riding to speak of.

Would you say the camping is something to endure to be close to the trails, or enjoyable in and of itself?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I've always liked staying there, didn't find it too bad. If you pull up satellite imagery you can see where the spots are. Most are pretty close to Peralta, but there are some that are a bit further back in. Compare to Trailforks maps so see where the trails are. I haven't actually ridden in from camp as I'm usually meeting others at a main trailhead. But I think it can be done.

·
IPA tester
1,296 Posts
Bumping it up...

Can you have open fire pits at your camp site?
Does it seem safe when out riding and your vehicle is there unattended?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bumping it up...

Can you have open fire pits at your camp site?
Does it seem safe when out riding and your vehicle is there unattended?
The spot where we camped did have a fire pit. I would not be overly concerned about leaving my vehicle unattended. I saw no indication that this area attracts any worse of an element than the free camping areas around Prescott and I leave my truck alone there. But that’s a decision you’ll have to make for yourself.

We’ll be back out there again next weekend. Beautiful spot, if a bit busier than I would like.

·
IPA tester
1,296 Posts
It's been months since this thread started so I was wondering if there are any updates in regard to camping and fire pits during this Covid time we live in. Any new imput to share?
Thinking of heading over next weekend to camp and ride GC

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven’t been out there since the spring, but I have done a ton of camping throughout the state. The only restrictions I’ve come across were no fires due to dangerous conditions, but I don’t think Gold Canyon is currently affected. COVID shouldn’t have any impact on camping out there. Head out and tear it up!

·
IPA tester
1,296 Posts
I think the reference to covid was mainly with regard to how much busier dispersed camping areas are.
Nailed it. There have been places that restrict/limit spaces or they are just plain slammed with people wanting to get away from their homes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts