Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has a new Avalanche Chubie (w/ titanium spring) their Spot..??

I hear it is a lot lighter than similar set-ups, and I'm a wondering how it compares with the other rear shocks..I currently have a stock RP3.

hanks,

Rich

·
on a routine expedition
1,585 Posts
Zip said:
Who has a new Avalanche Chubie (w/ titanium spring) their Spot..??

I hear it is a lot lighter than similar set-ups, and I'm a wondering how it compares with the other rear shocks..I currently have a stock RP3.

hanks,

Rich
DHX Air: 14.7 oz (417g)
DHX Coil (550lb steel spring): 1 lb 12.1 oz (797g)
Avy Chubie (500lb Ti spring): 1 lb 11.7 oz (785g)
and just for reference, no photo, Romic (450lb steel spring): 1 lb 8.7 oz (700g)

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Might not be lighter but it surely is better (IMO).

JNC has one that I got a good weekend of riding on before I sent it to him. Very nice performance. Once you have that who cares what it weighs.

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
trailadvent said:
SC common man no CCDB it deserves to be in yr Gif:D
Here you go:

CCDB 450# steel spring- 830g
Avy Chubie 400# steel spring- 800g
Push'd DHXrs 450# steel spring - 740g
RP3 - 195g

SPAM: Avy Chubie 7.75x2.25 and Spot HL Seatstay for sale (AKA, 7" Travel Kit)

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
SCUBAPRO said:
Here you go:

CCDB 450# steel spring- 830g
Avy Chubie 400# steel spring- 800g
Push'd DHXrs 450# steel spring - 740g
RP3 - 195g

SPAM: Avy Chubie 7.75x2.25 and Spot HL Seatstay for sale (AKA, 7" Travel Kit)
boy, granted the springs are not the same weight, but the weight differences you note for the Avys (Ti versus steel spring) sure dont make me regret skipping over the Ti spring. Only 15 grams difference between the two?

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
FoShizzle said:
boy, granted the springs are not the same weight, but the weight differences you note for the Avys (Ti versus steel spring) sure dont make me regret skipping over the Ti spring. Only 15 grams difference between the two?
Yes, Ti won't save you much weight with a light weight (500# or less) 2.0 spring but they sure look nice and won't corrode in salt water :eek: (good for SCUBA diving in salt water)

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
FoShizzle thanks dawg......but who the heck buys things for looks? that is ghey
Hay FO u saying Ti is ghey what:confused:

:D:D

I gotta ask my special friend to get me a Ti sping:thumbsup:
I need it
I want it
I know it
Its not Ghey

Ya all just jealous BZ got one on his bling pimp daddy:eekster: I must have one:skep:

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
trailadvent said:
Hay FO u saying Ti is ghey what:confused:

:D:D

I gotta ask my special friend to get me a Ti sping:thumbsup:
I need it
I want it
I know it
Its not Ghey

Ya all just jealous BZ got one on his bling pimp daddy:eekster: I must have one:skep:
i am sorry my friend, but Ti is indeed ghey, but who cares. The only thing more ghey within MTB land is a carbon frame, a la Ibis Mojo.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
i am sorry my friend, but Ti is indeed ghey, but who cares. The only thing more ghey within MTB land is a carbon frame, a la Ibis Mojo.
Ti is cool as a spring it rides nice too I can feel it:D

yeah the carbon AM thing dosen't do it for me, I'd rather take the samurai way of the sword thank you:D

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Ghey is as Ghey does.
Scuba's right, Ti does not save much on lighter springs, but for us Clydes It's worth a Big-Mack value Meal.

DHX 5.0 w/800# steel coil: 2.16lb / 980g
Avalanche Chubby w/700# Ti coil: 1.89lb / 860g
Difference: 0.27lb / 120g lighter.

As for performance, get it done right and you won't even want to keep the RP3 in the box the Avy came out of.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Ghey is as Ghey does.
Scuba's right, Ti does not save much on lighter springs, but for us Clydes It's worth a Big-Mack value Meal.
Well said:D
DHX 5.0 w/800# steel coil: 2.16lb / 980g
Avalanche Chubby w/700# Ti coil: 1.89lb / 860g
Difference: 0.27lb / 120g lighter.

As for performance, get it done right and you won't even want to keep the RP3 in the box the Avy came out of.
feel the same way about my CCDB, I need a stiffer spring have 550 on but I need a 600 so Im gonna no pun spring for a Ti 600;)

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
trailadvent said:
Well said:D

feel the same way about my CCDB, I need a stiffer spring have 550 on but I need a 600 so Im gonna no pun spring for a Ti 600;)
TA, I'd put on a steel 600# and try it out before buying the Ti just in case you don't like the 600#. 50# in spring rate makes a noticeable difference in CCDB perfomance which you may or may not like. I run 50# lighter than what CC recommends which work really well for me considering its stiff main valving.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
TA, I'd put on a steel 600# and try it out before buying the Ti just in case you don't like the 600#. 50# in spring rate makes a noticeable difference in CCDB perfomance which you may or may not like. I run 50# lighter than what CC recommends which work really well for me considering its stiff main valving.
Cheers buddy I will try that many thanx, I'll grab my buddies 600lb spring since hes only taking his Flux on his road trip, GB coming for ya spring buddy:thumbsup:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Not that it really matters that much, but I measured the difference between a Romic 500lb spring and the Ti one to be .3lbs (135 grams). I run an Avy and love it. I'm sending it in for a bit of a valve tweak and the new Hi/Lo separate adjuster. It amazed me on my last off road trip by being better and better the faster/rockier things got. Now if I can improve the low speed stuff a little bit, it'll be on! Oh yeah, I even got one for my trail bike. Probably way overkill for an all mountainish bike, and admittedly I had UGI, but I can't imagine it'll be a hindering factor on the trail. Now it's on to seeing if I can get one on my 4x/DJ bike.....I might have a problem.....

·
Registered
363 Posts
Lucky7 said:
Not that it really matters that much, but I measured the difference between a Romic 500lb spring and the Ti one to be .3lbs (135 grams). I run an Avy and love it. I'm sending it in for a bit of a valve tweak and the new Hi/Lo separate adjuster. It amazed me on my last off road trip by being better and better the faster/rockier things got. Now if I can improve the low speed stuff a little bit, it'll be on! Oh yeah, I even got one for my trail bike. Probably way overkill for an all mountainish bike, and admittedly I had UGI, but I can't imagine it'll be a hindering factor on the trail. Now it's on to seeing if I can get one on my 4x/DJ bike.....I might have a problem.....
I got the hi/low adjuster on the avy not long ago.

Makes a big, big differance, i can now have the low speed cranked up to help pedal, but have the high speed backed off for bumps. Makes an already great shock even better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.