Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the magic number for me, 26 x 2.4. Manufacturer charts show my 21mm ID rim is approved for a 2.4 tire. 2.4 is also the largest which will fit my cross country frame, front and back. My good fortune was to find a Panaracer Swoop AllTrail non-tubeless which was a true 2.4. Light enough for cross country, and sealing well on a TLR rim. So I bought another, it was labeled 2.4 but was significantly smaller, like a 2.2. And the Continental Mountain King protection 26 x 2.4 I just bought is also smaller than the original AllTrail, again closer to 2.2. Who has a truly large 2.4? It's too expensive buying these things remote without knowing what the actual size is, and the few local shops left here do not carry them. Thank you for your reply!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My WTB Wolverine 2.2 is slightly bigger than the Mountain King 2.4. The Mountain King ETRTO is 60-559, but in caliper measured size is less than 56-559. The original Panaracer Swoop AllTrail is also marked 60-559 and actually measures out to that size, near 60mm. So far I've only been lucky to find the big Panaracer.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I have Kenda Nevegals on my old 26" XC bike, which also maxes at 2.4". The Nevegals are 2.35's, and measure just a tiny bit over that (2.38") at the outer knobs when new on Mavic 21mm wheels. This combo is the closest to 2.4 I've been able to get to without going over.

Specifically, I measure 2.38" using Nevegal Pro's, not the X Pro's. The 2.35 X Pro's measure 2.24". If you're not familiar with the Nevegals, the Pro's are more trail orientated, the X Pro's more XC orientated.

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
I've got Hans Dampf 26" on an old Kona that may be 2.4
Can't go look at the moment but I wanted what would still fit and go big.
At the time, Jenson had them at $9.99

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Vittoria/Geax Goma 26x2.4 is a very high volume tire. Though it's recently been discontinued, there are still plenty available from resellers right now.

It rolls quite fast for the amount of grip it has, but it's very heavy. 1100g or something like that.

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
I wouldnt want a true 2.4 on a 21mm rim. While it physically fits and its technically safe, it rides poorly.

A 2.35 hans dampf measures larger than 2.4.

A 2.4 tire is "approved" for a 21mm rim in the same way that 40+psi is "approved" for that size. Sure, but it works terrible.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Point taken re: 21mm for 60mm tire as there is an optimal shape. But rims can be very expensive; in fact that huge Swoop is mounted to a WTB i25 frequency on the front that I just built from a $20 fire sale, normally an $80 rim. It also worked well on a NOS Syncros Big Box 21mm that cost $15, tho not as well as on the 23mm ID i25. Thank you very much for offering suggestions, I'll look for Vittoria/Geax Goma, Hans Dampf and Kenda Nevegals.

·
XC iconoclast
Church of Real Metal
2,198 Posts
My CST Rock Hawk 26 x 2.4 measures 2.35 inches wide. No tire I've had over 2.0 inches has (so far) ever measured exactly the same or more than what it says on the side of the tire. Most of the 2.1 to 2.5's measure 0.5 inches less than advertised, so that's pretty normal I guess. It's when you get into 2.6 and above that there starts to really be a difference in actual size.

Keep in mind that the CST 2.4 is heavy and not tubeless ready.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
This is really neat getting leads on the truly large 26 tires, like the ikon and CST! What got me started down this trail was excellent traction, cornering, on SoCal dusty rubble on hard pack - great ride quality from this fluke Swoop tire that from the factory really measures 60mm just like it says on the side of the tire.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
New tires stretch. Measuring width, which I think ETRTO states is done on a standard rim for the size . . . :
1) Continental Trail King Protection Apex has stretched to 60mm on a 23mm rim! This is my best option overall, although I like the Swoop tread pattern better.
2) Continental Mountain King has stretched to 58mm on a 21mm rim.
3) Perfect Panaracer Swoop has stretched to 62mm on a 25mm rim!!! But this apparently is an older model, and with thick sidewall rubber it works perfectly tubeless.
4) Imperfect (less sidewall rubber, leaks, can't go tubeless) new Swoop now measures 60mm on a 23mm rim, a great option for a tube.

I just bought a used WTB LaserDisc DH rear wheel:
The WTB Wolverine 2.2 measures 58mm on this 29mm ID rim, at 30 PSI.

That Wolverine measure is interesting as it's about the same width as it was on the 21mm Big Box, and the same 58mm height. But the base is further apart of course, so it seems to hold me up better with lower pressure. The side of the tire states 29mm ID is largest to use.

(discoloration on Swoop rim is oil used during build, WTB Frequency i25, closeout deal, the sanded area is due to repair of dent it arrived with.)

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There are threads at MTBR where a spreadsheet was discussed for aggregating "bead to bead" or b2b measurements. That can give a better estimate of a tire size by not including PSI or rim width. Does MTBR have a facility to make a spreadsheet like that one click available? It might have columns for date of measurement, MTBR ID that took the measurement, date of manufacture, min/max psi, min/max rim ID, as well b2b and the size info.

The 2015 Continental Mountain King Protection is now fitted to an old 29mm LaserDisc DH rear wheel. The MK has stiff sidewalls - and on this wide(r) rim the tire girth is now 62mm! and the height to top of knob from bead is only 57mm, while it was 58mm each way on the 21mm rim.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
More Large Tires on 26

Rear is Ground Control non-GRID 26 x 2.3 2Bliss. It is mounted on a WTB KOM light i40. This brings casing width to 61mm, and height to 58mm at 40 PSI. I find the ridges on WTB rims to be excellent for tubeless install. Front and rear seated with a $15 floor pump. I use Gorilla tape 5mm wider than ID, as WTB recommends with their tape. So this tape was cut at 45mm, for example. This setup is light and gives the bike a big footprint, but with surprisingly low rolling resistance. The knob shape and height leave 3mm to spare each side of the swing arm chain stay. No rubbing, as big as can fit back there. 2x10 derailleur is out of the way. This is light - it climbs really well even in loose - and is much easier to turn over than the 29x2.35 Vittoria Morsa on WTB ST i23 rims on my 29er. i35 would have been plenty, but Amazon was giving these rims away when I bought a couple.
In front is a WTB KOM Light i23 with a Continental Trail King 26 x 2.4. It measures 61mm wide. The Trail King is a significantly heavier tire, but it has a strong side wall which helps it on the narrower rim, and I find it works great in front. The Ground Control is a light tire with a thin sidewall, but the profile is just tubby enough past the i40 bead, it corners well with no distortion, burp or folding.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
less than ideal rim width and large tires

Quality classic 26er frames, as you might find at a yard sale, don't leave much room for large tires in back. However, running a less than ideal width can allow a large 2.4 tire to become a tad narrower. On a narrower rim the tire will roll over at the low pressures which are popular now. But at higher pressure it works great, offering low rolling resistance, strangely good shock absorption, and big foot print from the 2.4 width, yet still clearing the stays.

I _really_ like the Panaracer Swoop. The huge one I've been running on an i25 in front is over a year old, doesn't lose air as tubeless on the WTB rim, has hundreds of hours ride time and still has plenty of tread. The hard rubber is perfect for riding to the trailhead and storming down a debris field.

In back, for my Mongoose Rockadile, I've found a 21mm rim to be a perfect fit with a Panaracer Swoop All Trail 2.4 by inflating to 40 psi. 60mm at the widest point of the knobs. The tire is stable, with excellent traction in berm-less cornering on dusty, loose SoCal trails. The tire is run with tube as the Synchros Big Box rim doesn't have a shelf to support the bead for tubeless (Alex Adventure 2 does, with a shelf lip and rim brake flats. EV23 is only available in Europe.). When seated and pedaling upright, there is a shock absorption effect even at the higher pressure. The bike floats a bit as the narrow rim pushes into the tire on the rough stuff.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.