Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
602 Posts
T
Finally, when you smoke your friend on the downhill, nothing adds the exclamation point like a polite ding as you pass.
Bells will help keep pace in commuting situations, which is nice. I sometime whistle, but when I ride my commuter bike with the bell they hear me way sooner. Need to get one for my road and mountain bike too so I can whip out the ding as I pass.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I never even thought about a bell but from the coments that I have seen I might get one. The North Umpqua Trail which is closest to me is also a big hicking trail so it would be a good idea. Thanks for the thoughts.

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,955 Posts
Thought off & on over the years about a bell (yeah, yeah, state law...), the main reason I've hesitated is an occurrence nearly a decade ago.

Flatted on an urban ride, no patch kit with me, had to walk the bike home. Heard the next rider's bell exactly two feet off my heels.

I've also thought about the bear bell, since they can be "deactivated" by popping the bell up against the magnet in the attached bag.

My local cesspool, er, Walmart, has a Schwinn-branded bike bell that's pretty loud; that, and a bear bell, could be had for cheap. But I DO want an Airzound for cars!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Old thread, but was wondering about bells on trails when mtb.

Was riding with my brother, who lives in CA but travels a lot out west. He mentioned that when riding in some national parks that there is a basket at trail heads and your simply tie a small jingly bell on your bike to let other folks know you're coming.

I'm in NC, only a year into mtbing, I'm a road and cross rider. Most of the trails I ride have no stated direction (which seems like a terrible idea to me, since many are narrow, but that is another discussion). I've definitely come upon other riders heading my direction around blind curves, which called for some hard braking/manuevering. I have no interest in a head-on collision, I like my face and my teeth quite a bit.

I use a bell on my commuter bike and ding it when I'm passing people walking, or overtaking another cyclist. What are the thoughts on using a little jingly bell when mtb biking? Annoying to other riders? Helpful to others?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
in some national parks that there is a basket at trail heads and your simply tie a small jingly bell on your bike to let other folks know you're coming.
This sounds like a bear bell. Does "folks" include.... bears? ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Jingly bells that constantly ring when not needed are annoying (fire road climb, etc.) Timberbell solves the "not needed" part with a silent mode. Turn it off for climbing, turn it on for descending. Everyone wins and some hikers will even clear the trail in anticipation of your appearance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes. Really digging my Timberbell. Has worked well on tight, blind, multi-directional single-track. Also considering mounting a thumb bell but don't want to get too bell crazy.

Before I would yell and reactions were mixed, although I always tend to yield to hikers regardless.

·
Destroyer of Worlds
64 Posts
I have a bell on all my mountain bikes. Thumb-lever, single ding. I get thanked 2-3 times a day by hikers for warning them I'm coming. People don't like being startled and they don't like being yelled at. The bell is a nice neutral announcement of your presence. Even works with some dogs.

·
MTBR Member since 2001...
140 Posts
Bell, yes (incredibell). I put one on my bike. Has almost zero effect on others.

Families walking shoulder to shoulder, hikers, kids still break left and so do many adults. These people drive right?

Bells also don't work on people who have headphones stuck in their ears.

I try to avoid places where people are hiking. You can be ultra considerate... You can slow to a walk, but if you hit someone's kid (even if its their fault) you better be ready for a confrontation.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Cool, sounds like some of you use a bell. I use a single ding type manual bell on my commuter bike. The Timberbells look like a pretty cool option for dedicated trail riding/mtb biking. Thanks for the replies.

ghettocruiser - Don't think it was for bears, not sure what state/park he was at, but at that trail system he said joggers and mtbers all wore the bells.

·
beater
5,992 Posts
Jingly bells that constantly ring when not needed are annoying (fire road climb, etc.) Timberbell solves the "not needed" part with a silent mode. Turn it off for climbing, turn it on for descending. Everyone wins and some hikers will even clear the trail in anticipation of your appearance.
Very much this. Hikers hear the bell and can make their own choice to yield before I would chime a thumb-activated one. That usually means they’re happier than if they feel someone’s asking them to move.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I have a bell on both my MTBs, try to use it when I feel warranted based on observed traffic and sections of trail. That said, I've literally been 5 feet behind people dinging away with nary a reaction. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
86 Posts
I sometimes use my Timberbell but not always. Some trails here are sort of exclusive where not a lot of riders are on them. There are some areas where it's widely known not to be a 2 way trail and only DH.

However COVID did some odd things. Lots of hikers on mostly MTB trails, people hiking up or using eMTBs to come up on DH only trails. So in those cases I bolt on my bell and go riding. If I ride in a place I've never ridden before, I take my bell with me just in case, you never know. My hubs are i9 Hydras but it's not really that loud and many hikers (and bikers) have headphone/earphones on and can't hear me coming. In some cases even a bell won't help so you have to be attentive when riding.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,343 Posts
I had a hiker the other day tell me that it would make his life more convenient if I used a bell. Now I know my place on earth is to serve his needs. I did use a bell years ago and almost crashed trying to activate it. There’s no way I’m going use a bell that constantly rings unless I’m in grizzly country. Riders that use those bells annoy me. But I keep my mouth shut because guess what? Their purpose is not to make my life more convenient. I also hike and when a biker surprises me I don’t have a mental breakdown. I call out to hikers, I always yield to hikers, I am typically courteous to hikers. Except when they behave like a Karen. I hate bully’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have been riding with a timber bell for a bit over a year. I love it as you can throw a lever and silence it, or have it ring constantly. You can even give it a smack with a knuckle and make the AirPod crowd aware of your presence. It has been great for riding on multi use and multi direction trails.

I did have a situation last week where I came around a blind corner to find a rider going the opposite direction. I heard his bell about a millisecond before I saw him. We were both riding in control and had time to stop with no incident. We then had a good chuckle as we discovered we were running the exact same bell. I couldn’t hear him and he couldn’t hear me. It was a good reminder to slow down and stay aware.

121 - 140 of 144 Posts