Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
That's a cool one and hell yeah I have a bell on my bike the are the best. I put them on every bike in the house I think it should be oem

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've had this Incredibell Brass Duet on my Stumpy since 2007. I mounted it upside down so I could actuate with my right thumb while applying the brakes. Also, I didn't want it to protrude below the handlebars when I'm servicing my bike upside down.

I use it mainly on blind corners going downhill, and on tight uphill singletrack. I try not to use it so close to anyone that it seems like I'm barking orders at them. When passing, I will usually hold it for a single "ding" from behind, and let it go for the second "ding" after I've passed. It works better than yelling, if the hiker happens to be wearing earphones. Of course, I do verbally acknowledge most people I pass, especially anyone who engages me, or moves over. :cornut:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I have bells on both mtbs but not the road bike. I prefer not startling people on the trails, particularly women. Much better than having to yell something to get their attention. The bell gets a very favourable response from people.

Drew

·
Flow like water
711 Posts
My Kona Dew had a bell on the handlebar when I bought it. Coolest thing. I will buy a bell for all my bikes.

Your local Kona dealer can get you a Kona bell.

·
better than I deserve
478 Posts
My wife and I both have bells on our bikes we learned people still sometimes just look at you like you are going to disappear,making zero effort to move or give any space.
One time going past a mall a kid walking with his two friends head butted my wife right off her bike.

A bell does help most of the time.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have a couple jingle bells on my bike and they're great at alerting oncoming traffic, whatever they're on, hiking, riding, horses. They fell off one ride and I felt naked without them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a bell for the exact reason of hikers and runners, because for some reason yelling ahead to let people know im coming doesnt work too well, but as soon as i hit the bell, all heads turn and they move out of the way with a smile.

·
Life is strange
1,991 Posts
Have two bells. The dinky bar mounted bell and the cowbell that gets clipped to my pack.

Yeeeehaw.

Sent by smoke signal.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I started using a bell a couple of months
ago. It is the way to go as far as I can tell.
People like it a lot better than the old on
your left.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I ride in Germany and having a bell here on your bike is not an option, it's the law. I actually never rode with a bell till I got here, now I am liking having one. Front/rear lights and a bell are mandatory, but helmets are not, gotta love Europe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have bell on my road/city bike and front/rear lights too. It's good to have one while you're in the city so you don't have to yell at people to move away :D

But, on my trail/am bike I don't have one. It's just one more thing to break in case of falling from bike :)

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Had some little bells hanging from the saddle to alert hikers but didn't worked well, they weren't loud enough.

Got a couple of this ones to see if they're louder, .99 a piece isn't bad.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I have a bear bell on my bike to warn people I am coming...

Anyway I catch up to this lady riding in to work today....

She starts looking around kinda in a panic....finally she looks back and sees me...

She says I thought I had a bell between my legs?????

Then she says a squirrel alomost took her out so she is a bit on edge....

Oh well.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
I have a bear bell on my bike to warn people I am coming...

Anyway I catch up to this lady riding in to work today....

She starts looking around kinda in a panic....finally she looks back and sees me...

She says I thought I had a bell between my legs?????

Then she says a squirrel alomost took her out so she is a bit on edge....

Oh well.
That's funny, reminded me of a ride that while going down a rock garden on a multi use trail a couple of female hikers heard my brakes squealing and when they looked up saw me heading their way, one of them shouted "I thought it was a bear", laughed and carried on.

Do bears sound like brake squeal?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I have avid disc brakes and the horrific squeal from feathering the brakes usually alerts people. I'll look into purchasing a bell when I get some shimanos.

101 - 120 of 144 Posts