Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
81 - 100 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I have a bell on all my bikes, comes in very handy especially during the colder months. If I tried to say "coming through, on your left!" in the middle of January it would come out sounding more like "Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

·
TRANCER
2,770 Posts
Use a blow horn. Let's see how people respond to that. Lol I saw some mini ones at my LBS the other day. I doubt they will win anyones heart. :D

·
Just a flesh wound
2,371 Posts
Repack Rider said:
Bumping an old thread to relay the response I had recently when I used my bell to warn a couple that I was approaching.

She: "Thank you!"

He (to her as I passed): "I gotta get a bell for MY bike!"
Totally agree. I use my bell and the people just move to the side and look back with a smile. I wave and say "Thanks". How easy is that?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
mumbles said:
Had a combo bell/compass but it bruised my rib the first time I endoed so it was removed and never replaced.
If you endo, you can bruis your rib on just about anything ... including the handlebars or the bike.

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,659 Posts
Started using one this past summer after seeing this thread just so I could ding my friends as i passed them.

On solo rides I started dinging on a few blind sections. One day I come around a blind section with a bit of speed to see 2 elderly female hikers standing on the side of the trail (trekking poles and all) all smiles as I go by....I think its a good tool.

I usually ding for hikers/runners far ahead, works great most of the time. Sometimes people are clueless. I use any and all methods to communicate now. The grumps are grumpy to matter what.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have a "stealth" black bell that hides near my brake lever on my race bike and a giant sit on top of the bars and look dumb squeaky turtle for my pugsley. :D

·
Give it a crank
2,995 Posts
This Fall's perfect weather brought out way more hikers than my bell could handle. I simply got tired of hearing it all the time. So now I've been avoiding hiker-heavy trails completely, particularly on weekends. It turns out, I just needed a bell before I had figured out which trails to avoid and when. No more bell on my handlebar now!

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,585 Posts
Dual 12V Bosch horns (overvolted to 16.8 volts by way of Lithium Polymer Ion battery pack). Immediately notifies people of my presence, makes elderly people fill up their diapers.

·
3,707 Posts

Sometimes, it's not that effective. One time, I rang several times before the people realized where the noise was coming from. As I passed, one of the ladies said she didn't know what that noise was and started to look everywhere (except, apparently, right behind her). I wanted to say, the noise means step aside!

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Yes, on 2 of my bikes

But there is no way to get around clueless people who don't keep in mind that trails are thoroughfares.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
I've mounted them to fork legs, stems, top tubes, and even the straps of my camelbak. Actually the last location guarantees you ALWAYS have it with you, but then again a nice whistle works better then.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I use a Bear Bell from REI. This way it's always making noise so I can concentrate on not killing myself rather than hitting the bell at ever blind corner.

·
Premium Member
5,977 Posts
I do ride with a bell on almost all my rides. Just think it's a kinder way of clearing a path than screaming. Have found that some up-tight people that wont get out of the way are just that way, wether you have a bell or not. So when I do come across a person like that, after I pass them, I certainly have time to stop for a drink across the whole trail, and act like I don't see or hear them when they want to pass. What goes around comes around aye.
Also think that anyone who says bells are gay, for kids bikes, or for pink girly cruisers are pozers and controlled by what they think looks cool and nothing else. When I see a bell on a nice bike it tells me a few things about that rider, like, they do alot of passing so they're faster than most, they're curtiuos, and they are smart enough to use what works and they could care less about what pozers think. Just have to laugh when people feel the need to make fun of my bell. Guess it's just thier way of making themselves feel better because I passed them and they couldn't keep up but whatever. Most people respond well to a bell and just smile and wave.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
theMeat said:
I do ride with a bell on almost all my rides. Just think it's a kinder way of clearing a path than screaming. Have found that some up-tight people that wont get out of the way are just that way, wether you have a bell or not. So when I do come across a person like that, after I pass them, I certainly have time to stop for a drink across the whole trail, and act like I don't see or hear them when they want to pass. What goes around comes around aye.
Also think that anyone who says bells are for kids bikes or for pink girly cruisers are pozers and controlled by what they think looks cool and nothing else. When I see a bell on a nice bike it tells me a few things about that rider, like, they do alot of passing so they're faster than most, they're curtiuos, and they are smart enough to use what works and they could care less about what pozers think. Just have to laugh when people feel the need to make fun of my bell. Guess it's just thier way of making themselves feel better because I passed them and they couldn't keep up but whatever. Most people respond well to a bell and just smile and wave.
I do a fair amount of passing, but I have never used the bell for that. I am generally very passive about passing other cyclists on the trails. I guess it is because I almost always know if someone is behind me, and I always offer them the right of way if they have caught up to me. I might try it.

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
I've gota small Bell for three of my four bikes - In fact I need a new one now. I ordered mine off of eBay for .99$ shipped - I don't know how they can make any money selling them!
They seem to help around here in Central VA with walkers on the trails more than anything. The people seem to react very pleasantly and like the warning. I also say "thank you" when I pass.

81 - 100 of 144 Posts