Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Only one welder to do the sexy welds

There is just one welder, nice guy, very skilled (the "electric sex" welder). He explained to me that his welds need aircraft quality, which impressed me favorably.

I'm sure bikes are stressed closer to design limits than air frames, but for sure failure at 10,000 feet is a way bigger problem.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
bayareamtnbiker said:
There is just one welder, nice guy, very skilled (the "electric sex" welder). He explained to me that his welds need aircraft quality, which impressed me favorably.

I'm sure bikes are stressed closer to design limits than air frames, but for sure failure at 10,000 feet is a way bigger problem.
Interesting that you mention this. I really wouldnt know personally, not a welder. Worked around lots of pipe welders and do know that there is more to it than just trying to be pretty. Anyway one of the welders for Intense made mention of welders that work in the industry welding bikes sometimes weld military jets and rockets and said what they do is amazing. This is coming from a custom frame welder. Just thought that was interesting.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
We used to use a lot of welding and fabrication on race cars and some of the guys were just amazingly skilled. I can design and draw things, but I certainly can't fabricate or weld. It's an artform in its own right. The welding on my Ventana is top notch and as good as anything I've seen in professional motorsport. We still fabricate some things, but very little these days. It's all carbon/titanium bonding and CNC maching these days!

·
Registered
168 Posts
FoShizzle said:
oh yeah? well I cant design, i cant draw, and i certainly cant fabricate or weld.
But Fo, you have the gift of gab, and a strange pied piper like quality about you, so those other skills aren't required... :thumbsup:

Peace,

Marc

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Internal14 said:
Ohno...I couldn't tell you...it would be a NoNo.:p :D
LOL! Good one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.