Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
bigger than you.
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've put about 2000 miles on my former Pugsley wheels, had to replace the Deore free hub body once, recently, I've been breaking spokes and the wheel has about a 1/4" wobble. Rather than continue to replace spokes, I'm thinking I should build a new wheel, with better spokes and if possible, a better rim. Who else makes an offset rim similar to the Marge Lite in width and weight, but preferably better in quality?

·
This place needs an enema
17,433 Posts
I've put about 2000 miles on my former Pugsley wheels, had to replace the Deore free hub body once, recently, I've been breaking spokes and the wheel has about a 1/4" wobble. Rather than continue to replace spokes, I'm thinking I should build a new wheel, with better spokes and if possible, a better rim. Who else makes an offset rim similar to the Marge Lite in width and weight, but preferably better in quality?
I don't know of anyone that makes what you're after, other than Surly.

Curious what you're after as far as 'better in quality'? I think the Marge Lite's are great rims that build into fantastic wheels.

Breaking spokes is not a sign of a bad rim so much as a bad (or at least impatient) builder.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
You a big guy? You should be getting more than 2k miles out of a wheel build, that's for sure. To put it in perspective, my last wheelset with XT hubs got retired after more than 10k miles....with only one service on the rear hub in that timeframe. Wheelset was used for loaded touring and some MTB use....so it definitely got put through the paces.

And like others have pointed out - nothing wrong with the marge lite. You've got about the best rim going at the 65mm width point. So unless you've really bent the rim beyond repair, keep what you've got

Your rim choice isn't going to change anything about breaking spokes - especially after 2k miles - sounds like you've got an issue with the wheel build itself.

If the rim/hub is serviceable, you can get away with new spokes/nipples, though this would be a good time to upgrade your hub to something better/lighter.

·
bigger than you.
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I associate the rims with my previous experiences with their actual manufacturer: Alex rims, which are generally not the best in quality. So far, I've broken 2 non-drive spokes at the nipple and I'm more than a little leery about breaking more. As I mentioned previously, the rim has abut a 1/4" wobble to the drive side, which causes unwanted chain rub and it also has a slight flat spot, Also, the Deore free-hub is a known weak spot; I've already toasted it once. With that in mind, I've been contemplating building a new wheel with a better hub, stronger spokes and if possible, a higher quality rim.

For the record, I'm an exceptionally tall large person, I'm about 6'8" and +260 pounds and am built like a linebacker; "Gigantic" is my favorite song from The Pixies.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I saw the cool picture you posted of you drifting thru a turn a week or so ago. Looking at that picture and hearing your question brings a couple things to mind. First you know how to ride a bike and second you put down a whole bunch of horse power. That rim is getting a work out. What spokes are on there?

First I would suggest the un drilled Rolling Daryl and as a add on to that suggestion maybe consider a 36º un drilled Rolling Daryl. My second suggestion, although I think it is the best, would be that you consider thinking about possibly looking into maybe going to a symmetrical build.

Steven

·
bigger than you.
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I saw the cool picture you posted of you drifting thru a turn a week or so ago. Looking at that picture and hearing your question brings a couple things to mind. First you know how to ride a bike and second you put down a whole bunch of horse power. That rim is getting a work out. What spokes are on there?

First I would suggest the un drilled Rolling Daryl and as a add on to that suggestion maybe consider a 36º un drilled Rolling Daryl. My second suggestion, although I think it is the best, would be that you consider thinking about possibly looking into maybe going to a symmetrical build.

Steven
the wheels are from a stock Pugsley build. I'd really prefer not to go either wider or heavier; the setup is heavy enough already and while it's not exactly the best tool for the job, I race it xc and acceleration is hard enough as it is. (ultimately, I'll get a set of 29er+ wheels...) a symmetrical build would be nice, but that's at least a year down the road and not currently in my limited, blogger budget. I guess I'll wait and see what Stan's releases.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.