Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with so many bike helmet companies out there who does the testing? I have had a couple of bad bike crashes. first one i was lucky to survive. I have seen 4 bad bike crashes all on group rides with people ending up with concussions. i see more and more people out riding without a bike helmet and i think that it is stupid to ride without one.

·
I'll have the milk-steak
50 Posts
I never wore them as a pre-teen/teen riding BMX. Now that I'm older, have had a couple near death experiences of my own, and am fully aware of my mortality I always wear a helmet and bring tools with on rides that can help me in case of an emergency.
I think a lot of it has to do with maturity. One of the guys I ride with is probably the least mature person I serve with in the Army and I have to argue with him in order for his helmet to be worn on his head instead of on his backpack just about every time we go ride.
He claims that it's a "freedom thing. Did Peter Fonda wear a helmet in easy riders!?"
The answer is "yes he did, and he still died!"

·
Registered
202 Posts
i see more and more people out riding without a bike helmet and i think that it is stupid to ride without one.
I had a guy Monday stop me on my way out of the trail asking where the jumps were. There's a section called the "Rim Bender" with some pretty serious jumps. This guy was wearing no helmet and I thought that was bad enough, but after I told him how to get to the jumps, he says, "Will I be ok without brakes?" and he demonstrated his non-functioning rim brakes on what looked like an oooold bike in rough shape. I paused for as second, laughed, and said, "No, you'll kill yourself." He didn't care, kept going, and yelled back something about being adventurous.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The helmet manufacturers need to test their own helmets if they are going to contain a certification sticker.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm sure most of you know this, but CPSC does not test every helmet model that recieves the certification. CPSC's testing is random. Here in the US it is like a good old boy honor system.

CE (EN 1078) and Snell mandate in-house testing for every model before their certifications are awarded...or rejected.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i see more and more people out riding without a bike helmet and i think that it is stupid to ride without one.
I had a guy Monday stop me on my way out of the trail asking where the jumps were. There's a section called the "Rim Bender" with some pretty serious jumps. This guy was wearing no helmet and I thought that was bad enough, but after I told him how to get to the jumps, he says, "Will I be ok without brakes?" and he demonstrated his non-functioning rim brakes on what looked like an oooold bike in rough shape. I paused for as second, laughed, and said, "No, you'll kill yourself." He didn't care, kept going, and yelled back something about being adventurous.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
At the opposite end of the spectrum, I saw a guy wearing a full face helmet on our local greenway the other day, which has about 20 feet of elevation gain and no technical features. I tried to make a joke about him wearing too much helmet for the trail. He just said "It's the only one I have." Made me feel like an idiot and showed that he had good common sense.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
Trek has a helmet lab where they test their and other brands of helmets. As for who certifies them for a particular rating... ANSI or Snell ?

Honestly I quit worrying about the certification. If my $200 Giro or Trek helmet won't protect me, I'm doomed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I used to do tool and die work for many of the big players in the bike and skate helmet industry in the 80s and 90s. I did production and prototype tool work for the EPS cores and microshells for Trek, Specialized, Giro, ProTek, Bell, and others. We also did tool work for the same companies for other, non-safety related products. Nowadays the tool work has all moved overseas, and is all cnc-based rather than the physical pattern-based stuff I did.

Snell Foundation was the major certification body back then. We had a drop-test simulator that we could test prototype units on well prior to submission to the official testing labs, so that pattern revisions could be made before we fabricated the expensive production tools. The drop tester simulated the effect of a 250lb rider falling a distance of more than six feet directly onto the helmet assembly, and we'd call in the manufacturer's designers and engineers for analysis on the results, with pattern revision occurring as necessary.

I'd expect that the current tool manufacturers have similar pre and post-production safety check processes in place. What you end up with as a consumer is a product that has been vetted several times, and by several different parties, prior to any sort of label certification testing actually taking place.

In other words, you should pretty much be as good as you'll get with any decent name-brand helmet manufacturer. Ride in good health.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I tested one a couple of years back by going OTB and landing on my head, cracked it in 5 places, but no brain damage that I know of!

·
Registered
146 Posts
That didn't look that bad. Was there a bad upslope?
Not really. I don't know those guys but it looked like that bike was a disaster waiting to happen. Headset and rear tire looked loose, surprised he made it that far on the trail.

It looks intimidating from above but the toughest part is about where the first guy slipped. Tires are wet and the climb out is off camber...can't just muscle your way up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts