Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of us that hang out at this forum have some pretty cool vintage mtb's...which poses the question:
Which forum member here, do you think has the 'rarest' mountain bike?
I know it's an open ended question and easy to debate...so, here's an example.

Yeti C-26. Collectable, and relatively valuable (as far as old mountain bikes go). Rare...but...off the top of my head, I can think of three people that I know who own one.
The same argument can be made for Cunninghams or a Goat Deluxe. Also rare...but I know of more than one person who owns one.

So who has the craziest, one off, rare type mtb that they're proud to say they own (or have seen in person)?
There really is no right answer...it's just an excuse for a brag fest for all of us! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rumpfy said:
Most of us that hang out at this forum have some pretty cool vintage mtb's...which poses the question:
Which forum member here, do you think has the 'rarest' mountain bike?
I know it's an open ended question and easy to debate...so, here's an example.

Yeti C-26. Collectable, and relatively valuable (as far as old mountain bikes go). Rare...but...off the top of my head, I can think of three people that I know who own one.
The same argument can be made for Cunninghams or a Goat Deluxe. Also rare...but I know of more than one person who owns one.

So who has the craziest, one off, rare type mtb that they're proud to say they own (or have seen in person)?
There really is no right answer...it's just an excuse for a brag fest for all of us! :D

How rare is a Mantis Profloater with one inch headtube, judy DH 3" travel, magura hydro rim brakes, cooks cranks, grip shift 8speed? Too bad I broke my Mantis Valkarie.

Ron

Ron

·
Registered
995 Posts
Hm. The closest thing I've got to add is, the very first carbon front we had made for the Y... but I know of three of you guys right now who've got that beat by a factor of about a thousand. That Bradbury Manitou is one hot tamale, but I tend to think that the very first final of the Yeti Ultimate is well, the ultimate. Paint job notwithstanding.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
flyingsuperpetis said:
That Bradbury Manitou is one hot tamale, but I tend to think that the very first final of the Yeti Ultimate is well, the ultimate. Paint job notwithstanding.
That bike came to mind too. I like the paint! So backyard rattle can.

I think there are a few in the CycleShark collection that are qualifiers as well.

G

·

This Sea&Sky MC2 Klein Attitude is pretty unique as well. One of the two MC2 prototypes with the ZipGrip seat post clamp. The other one is in Gary K.'s collection. Maybe a third one was made but thats still unclear. It is a really nice blend of MC1 and MC2 era features. The chain stays look like those on the MC1 bikes but already have the Micro dropouts and are a bit shorter but still a bit longer than those on the production MC2 bikes, the down and top tube look like those on the MC1 Attitudes but seem to be made from Gradient tubing because the frame is considerably lighter than the MC1 Attitude frame, the MC1 era anti chainsuck device etc. The MC2 bar/stem combo is very different to the production MC2s. The aluminum ZipGrip clamp never made it into production.

More pictures can be found here:

www.wundel.com

Carsten

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
How about a Steve Potts tandem with a 1" Type 2 fork, WTB Speedmaster roller cam brakes, LD stem, WTB dropbar, hubs and oversize stoker post?

·
Illuminati
1,729 Posts
fat chance wedding tandems, American beriylm (sp!), Neds specially made 1990 worlds winning epic, salsa titanium... off the top of my head :)

ta

scant

·
Illuminati
1,729 Posts
I should add that obs I dont own any of those bikes! (I wish!)
Just my opion as to some of the rarest! :D

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,730 Posts
I dont think there is one

There are a lot of companys that made just 1 or 2 or whatever prototypes of things that never went into production for one reason or another. The American Berrylium as Scant mentioned, only 3 built. The full suspension Bontrager that was on eBay a while back and discussed on here, only a few built. The aluminum Bontrager that was also discussed on here, only a few built. The dozens of one offs that were tested in MBA ofer the years.... the list goes on.

I think it really comes down to what each individual likes as to what he or she will think is the rarest and greatest bike out there.

My friends old neighbor could qualify as well. He built a frame in 1992 (I think) that was a hydroformed aluminum monocoque front triangle with conventional stays welded on. It looked remarkably like a Mantis Flying-V but he was/is a die hard roadie and had never seen the Mantis until years after he built his frame. Trek contacted him about helping them design they "Y" bikes a few years later but he declined.
It was really neat! But of course nobody would have any idea what it was so to the general public it would be worth pretty much nothing...and probably considered dangerous.

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,164 Posts
Jim Merz Prototype Lugged Specialized Luged Stumpjumper with Merz one off handle bars, displayed in Japan at the factory from 1984-1989! Never ridden!
There is another one that Mike Synard has, his was built later. He dosen't know where this one is!

1982 Tom Ritchey mountian bike all orignial, Nickle plated bull moose Ritchey bars.

1987 Desert Eagle Bicycles Talon Slayer, all XT 6 speed, the only one of twelve that did not break.

1984 Fat Chance kicker with Cooks Brothers Racing Hubs, 21.1mm Steerer tube with Box Unicrown fork.

I get to look at these every day I go to work.

Scoty

·
Registered
276 Posts
Here's a few cool bikes that used carbon.

Carbon Fisher Lawill FS - (CycleShark)

And remember all those cool designs Mamouth DH spawned back in the day . . .

Scott Fyfe - Mamouth DH Customized Boulder Starship with Proto aero fairings

Hanebrink - Full Mamouth Aero bike

Yeti Thermo FS Prototype - Paul Tracy - 2 in the world

-mtnwing
www.carbonbicycles.com
www.mountainbikes.net
www.roadbikes.net

Attachments

·
Retro Grouch
132 Posts
Hi,

don't want to toot my own horn ;), but i think that my Yeti Prototyp, John Parker's personal bike from 1984, is also pretty rare. As far as i know, three frames were built the way like mine before they changed to more usual components and geometry (1 for JP, 1 for Linda Parker, 1 for Russel Worley). Mine was the first one.

Wild mix from MTB, Road and BMX Parts: BMX BB, Seatpost and Headset, Campy Front Derralieur, Shimano XT 6 Speed Shifters and Rear Der (which makes me believe that he used the bike at least till 1987), 69° head and seat angle, loooong top tube and loooonger chainstays ;)

More Details here: https://www.mtb-classic.de/html/fro_prototyp.html

Greetings,

Michael

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This post is for horn tooting...

Michael Staab said:
Hi,

don't want to toot my own horn ;), but i think that my Yeti Prototyp, John Parker's personal bike from 1984, is also pretty rare. As far as i know, three frames were built the way like mine before they changed to more usual components and geometry (1 for JP, 1 for Linda Parker, 1 for Russel Worley). Mine was the first one.
Michael
No THAT is rare. I'd like to know you landed that one!

·
Registered
144 Posts
rarest bikes?

As others have said, rare does not necessarily maean most valuable or desirable. There must bo lots of one-offs and prototypes out there, given the number of small builders.

That Yeti is very cool, but the wedding tandem that Andreas had is way up on my list. Anything early by Potts (and the Potts tandem too!),anything that says Cunningham on it, and the early Breezers like the ones at First Flight would likely make the list.

The 10th is fairly rare but there seem to a quite a few out there in very good or NOS condition.

Something with a story is always more interesting, like the Yeti, or the Mongoose made for Tomac by Fat City, etc.

From my own small collection I would probably nominate the Shock-a-Billy with Action Tec front end (one-off), and the 82 Fat Chance (1st year of production).

·
I like butter
456 Posts
Rare-ish bikes at FFB

The Carbon Fisher Full Suspension bikes are the Alembic which uses the same stuff as a RS-1 but with a carbon main frame...7 were made, FFB has 2.

Grove Innovations Woods bike as seen in Dirt Rag...only 3 made, one was broken @ Grove, one frame was lost and the only one sold to the public is @ FFB

Prototype Klein Mantra with beer can rear shock, got 1 of those.

Breezer Series II, 1 of those, only 25 made.
Breezer Series III, 1 of those

SE Shocker 1of those

Ross Shafers First Personal Salsa and the second Salsa ever made... yup we have it. First batch consisted of 7 and had few minor detail differences just numbered depending on the order made

1983 Mantis Sherpa, Damn early example.

At most times, we usually have 3-6 bikes in the works that are not on the web site but waiting to be restored. Best thing would be to come see the bikes in person. Our swap meet for 2005 is a great chance. http://www.firstflightbikes.com/crossroa.htm

Other than that, we have a few "irons" in the oven for some cool stuff. Great job I have...yes

...And on a side note, Ricks 10th, Action-tec Shock-a-billy and 82 Fats are all at the shop, SO...technically he does not HAVE them but I let him look at them. Thanks Rick.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My vote goes to .....

The Alex Pong - Magic Motorcycle bike, full CNC one of a kind.

This bike really set me up for a long fall in spending coin on a bike....

JS

1 - 20 of 182 Posts