Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Time to go farther
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who bikes to work around here?

Well I've restarted commuting to work after about a year of driving to the "new" job. Route goes Boulder to Broomfield via 36 frontage road up the Wall and down 128. I'm on the road between 5:45 and 7:00am on an orange lugged road bike so if ya see me out there feel free to say hi. Takes me a little over an hour each way but at least I'm getting in shape again. A year of planning a wedding and building the race car has left me to getting my butt kicked on the Wall. :eek: Hopefully in a few months I'll be doing the route in sub 1hour.

Who else is out there riding to work? :cool:
 

·
Ridin' many miles...
Joined
·
254 Posts
Pivvay said:
Who else is out there riding to work? :cool:
I am.

My commute is from Tamarac in SE Denver to South DTC. The route I took in this morning was a bit over 9 miles and all bike path and on street bike lanes.I have alternate routes that take me 7 miles ( traffic: sucks ) or 12+ miles ( through Cherry Creek Reservoir Park: sweet ). Some days I put my 4 year old in the bike trailer and pull him to school which is a 6 mile pull and directly on my way to work. I drop him and the trailer off and continue on to work. On the return I get him and take the long way home through the park. Sometimes we even stop at the beach, which is right on the route through the park.
:D

I love these long summer days, but the winter commute isn't too bad either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
I commute from my house in Superior (near Level3) to CU Boulder three days a week. I think it's 26mi round trip - over Mcaslin, out Marshall, then bike path to campus. I haven't clocked it yet, but it's a damn fine ride, especially for the early classes. Coming home kind of sucks, but it's fun to catch proper roadies, typically out for their evening jaunt, on a SS road bike with a big pack on my back, especially on the climbs. :p
 

·
contains quinine
Joined
·
4,639 Posts
Crazy?

Pivvay said:
Route goes Boulder to Broomfield via 36 frontage road up the Wall and down 128. I'm on the road between 5:45 and 7:00am on an orange lugged road bike so if ya see me out there feel free to say hi.
You aren't one of those crazies on 36 in the am are you? There's an old dude I see most days I drive that way. Not saying you're old if you're that dude, but certainly a little crazy.

I was much better about commuting before my fiance got a job in Boulder also. Now we carpool most days. A couple days a week I've been making a habit of riding home on the road bike, or via Community Ditch/Marshall Mesa/that gravel road that starts behind stupidTarget and goes out to Marshall Road. Always starting with a little jaunt through campus because it's pretty hot there this time of year.

Anyway, I'm planning on commuting tomorrow. My route into Boulder changes between McCaslin/South Boulder Road and Marshall Road depending on how early I get out. My ususal commuting steed is either the blue and yellow cross bike or the blue and yellow road bike and rarely the blue hardtail.
 

·
Non Dual Bliss
Joined
·
6,240 Posts
Pivvay said:
Well I've restarted commuting to work after about a year of driving to the "new" job. Route goes Boulder to Broomfield via 36 frontage road up the Wall and down 128. I'm on the road between 5:45 and 7:00am on an orange lugged road bike so if ya see me out there feel free to say hi. Takes me a little over an hour each way but at least I'm getting in shape again. A year of planning a wedding and building the race car has left me to getting my butt kicked on the Wall. :eek: Hopefully in a few months I'll be doing the route in sub 1hour.

Who else is out there riding to work? :cool:
My commute is hell. It's about 50-feet and includes a technical stair obstacle that trannies into some wicked brick and gravel walks, and then a urbanish hopup to the entrance to the shop where I usually bust a wicked doorknob move on FRENCH doors!!! Sometimes I spill my coffee on my shoes but I've got it down now and rarely go down hard.

My wife, on the other hand, commutes 43 miles a day. All road, takes her a bit more than an hour each way.
 

·
Time to go farther
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Debaser said:
You aren't one of those crazies on 36 in the am are you? There's an old dude I see most days I drive that way. Not saying you're old if you're that dude, but certainly a little crazy.
Haha no that's not me as I'm 22 and I stay off 36! :eek: I have seen that old guy a lot on my car commute but by bike the closest I get to 36 is the frontage road until I head up Macaslin to 128. I'm actually a bit better commuting now that my wife is working near me. Now I know I can always bail in the PM or get an extra tube/ride if I have a bad flat day as her schedule lags mine just a touch. Gotta love cell phones for that. And DWF, a 43 mile commute would kill me in any vehicle. I would move to be closer to my job or quit, lest I go INSANE!

OT but slightly related: One time when I was in HS I was out on a very long road ride far from home and early in the morning. Of course I flat for the 3rd time in the middle of F'n nowhere and my parents are already at work but no bike shops are near or open yet. So I ride on the flat and eventually find a payphone and procede to call a taxi to take me home. I'm sure the taxi driver found it quite amusing and lucky for me I had a credit account with them as I defintely didn't have enough cash to get home. Ah the pre-cell phone days...
 

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
Joined
·
8,847 Posts
yep. though it takes all of 10 minutes if i'm in a hurry. 20-30 if i sloooooowly cruise it, stop for my coffee, don't cheat at the lights, or take any shortcuts. the safeway paarking lot i cut through sometimes is particularly treacherous. old ladies that can't see through their steering wheels. soccer moms and dads in suv tanks. all looking at me as if i'm some sort of mutant for being on a bike.

my place has a full on shower setup on our breaklounge/changing room. nice for those days when my only ride is the commute. i can take a nice long roundabout way to get a real ride in, then shower before putting the scrubs on!

rack and fenders with flashy lights on 'em so i don't have to carry crap on my back. fixed gear so i don't even have to think about shifting. love it!
 

·
Non Dual Bliss
Joined
·
6,240 Posts
Pivvay said:
And DWF, a 43 mile commute would kill me in any vehicle. I would move to be closer to my job or quit, lest I go INSANE!
Nah, it's 46 miles round trip, 23-miles each way and she does the commute on her cross bike sun, rain, or snow. Here's a pic of her heading out in the AM after one of the mid-winter snows. That particular day is was like 10-degrees. http://www.anvilbikes.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=63&
 

·
Time to go farther
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DWF said:
Nah, it's 46 miles round trip, 23-miles each way and she does the commute on her cross bike sun, rain, or snow. Here's a pic of her heading out in the AM after one of the mid-winter snows. That particular day is was like 10-degrees. http://www.anvilbikes.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=63&
Ah that's much better! I've done many a snowy bike commute and it's so funny to watch people's faces when they pass you. We'll see if I'm still that hardcore this winter. Of course driving the race car in the winter is almost as big of a challenge in that it never gets hot (t-stat) and it makes enough power to turn the snow tires to mush in 2 months even if I baby it. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
901 Posts
Several options for my commute. They range from 10-20 minutes straight there to up Apex/down Chimney (reverse on the way home, which is much more fun). I like the equivalent road ride, which is better on the way in. It's going to be so sad when I have to move or work somewhere else...
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top