Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled a bone-head move prior to yesterday's ride. After washing my bike last weekend, I measured the chain and decided it was time to put a new one on. Which, naturally, I didn't.

Of course that means I didn't lube it, either. So 2/3's of the way through yesterday's ride, each stroke of the pedal began to sound (and feel) like sand in ball bearings -- a continuous rolling "crunching, grinding" that sent chills up my spine.

Used to be that in my tool pouch I carried a Tri-Flo filled mini-Tobasco bottle (the ones that comes with MRE's). Heat shrink-sealed and inconspicuous, I never used it, and eventually stopped packing it.

With nearly 10 miles and 1000 feet to go, I would have gladly stopped and gone through the painstaking task of applying 104 drips of Tabasco, er, Tri-Flo, one drop per link, to allow me to finish my ride in silence and relative tranquility.

Anyone else carry chain lube with them on a ride, just in case? What tiny container have you found to work best? I have a thimble sized 10 or 20ml *squeezable* eye drop container from my dog's perscription that looks like a perfect size -- only trouble is, I'm not sure how to open it to refill it.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Not yet. When it's time to change the chain the whole drivetrain gets a change too if it needs it. If it's a Sram chain then I guess you aren't supposed to remove the stuff that comes on it. If it's shimano I degrease thoroughly, rinse, dry and lube. It's all part of the process and if I don't have time to do it all then it waits till I do.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
fred³ said:
Not yet. When it's time to change the chain the whole drivetrain gets a change too if it needs it. If it's a Sram chain then I guess you aren't supposed to remove the stuff that comes on it. If it's shimano I degrease thoroughly, rinse, dry and lube. It's all part of the process and if I don't have time to do it all then it waits till I do.
Yeah, I wish I could be perfect and never have done that, but I suppose it was bound to happen. I actually started carrying the Tabasco bottle when I began using White Lightning dry lube, either for that occasion when I had one too many water crossings or for those rides when the miles simply outlast the wax. I've since switched back to oil lubricant, but with either type never let it go to the point where I "needed" it, not like yesterday.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
Speedüb Nate said:
Anyone else carry chain lube with them on a ride, just in case? What tiny container have you found to work best? I have a thimble sized 10 or 20ml *squeezable* eye drop container from my dog's perscription that looks like a perfect size -- only trouble is, I'm not sure how to open it to refill it.
I've been wanting to for some time now. Just haven't really pursued it. Been looking for the right size/type container. I've thought about buying a bottle of visine and dumping it out and refilling with lube.

Funny, I have eye drops for the dog as well. Been thinking about giving it a try.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Good tip from one of this months mags (forget which one) that if you forget to lube your chain to just use some engine oil from your cars dipstick. I thought that was pretty good.

I once forgot to lube a chain after an 1.5 hour drive to the trailhead, but it was winter so I just kept the chain slick w/ wet snow.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Locoman said:
Good tip from one of this months mags (forget which one) that if you forget to lube your chain to just use some engine oil from your cars dipstick. I thought that was pretty good.

I once forgot to lube a chain after an 1.5 hour drive to the trailhead, but it was winter so I just kept the chain slick w/ wet snow.
Now, if they would have suggested peeing or spitting on it, or rubbing a Powerbar against it, that would have done the trick. I actually carry a bottle of chain lube in the car -- for my "forgetful friends" -- as much good as it did me.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
steve3 said:
There goes Fred3 maintaining that one never lubes a SRAM chain because it has the GLEITMO on it.

I use Pedro's Ice Wax and will lube every fourth or fifth ride on my PC 59. It's long lasting, so I rarely ever run out during a ride.
My interpretation of the SRAM gel is that it's ok to leave it on and lube over it with oil-based lubricants, but not necessary (I never understood the insistance some folks have with this point, although I'm not sure if that's what fred was getting at???). But if the lube of choice is a wax based and/or dry lube, it seems obvious that the Gleitmo has to go in favor of a clean, prepped metal surface for the wax to adhere to. That is the practice I always followed for the years I was using White Lightning.

I hear ya -- normally my lube will last multiple rides if I need it to. Just in this case, I pretty thoroughly rinsed the chain with warm soapy water so, while not completely stripped, whatever lube was there was pretty quickly compromised.

·
bang
1,290 Posts
Speedüb Nate said:
id think a squeezable plastic container of some sort would be ideal. to fill it, try squirting your chain lube of choice into a container (like a bowl or cap or something). then just suck the lube into the plastic container (eye drop bottle or whatever) by squeezing the bottle, dipping the tip into the lube, and releasing. repeat until the bottle is full (or full enough).

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cyco-Dude said:
id think a squeezable plastic container of some sort would be ideal. to fill it, try squirting your chain lube of choice into a container (like a bowl or cap or something). then just suck the lube into the plastic container (eye drop bottle or whatever) by squeezing the bottle, dipping the tip into the lube, and releasing. repeat until the bottle is full (or full enough).
DOH! Bomber's perscription runs out on Friday. I'm all over it! (Thanks.)

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
I carry it every ride. Until I find a lube that'll last more than part of one ride I'll carry a small bottle of Dumond Tech which I can pop the top off of and refill.

Monte

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Monte said:
I carry it every ride. Until I find a lube that'll last more than part of one ride I'll carry a small bottle of Dumond Tech which I can pop the top off of and refill.
So I just Googled "Dumond Tech" because I don't know what the heck that is, and I come up with a post on some forum with some guy saying he likes Boeshield T1 (I'm assuming he meant T9) as a cleaning agent (what's up with that?) which he chases with Dumond Tech.

But there are surprisingly few hits for Dumond Tech. What makes it <i>special</i>?

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Shimano Hypospitt hypodermics!

They're very light, hold enough lube for many rides, and are quite economical (cheap, and they conserve lube!)

They were .99 at Nashbar.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
You're either incredibly stupid(I prefer to think this is the correct answer), too young to know better or just an @ss(actually they're all pretty good choices). I didn't say you should never lube a Sram chain(please show me where I said that). I said it didn't need to be cleaned when new as I was informed years ago that unlike Shimano the stuff that comes on their chains is a lube(ask MikeT bubba). So it only needs to be cleaned and lubed once it finally gets all gunked up after the initial install. But I guess you knew that having paid attention in the past eh?

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Speedüb Nate said:
So I just Googled "Dumond Tech" because I don't know what the heck that is, and I come up with a post on some forum with some guy saying he likes Boeshield T1 (I'm assuming he meant T9) as a cleaning agent (what's up with that?) which he chases with Dumond Tech.

But there are surprisingly few hits for Dumond Tech. What makes it <i>special</i>?
I tried Boeshield T9 last weekend. Says on the bottle that it lasts for hundreds of miles. I couldn't get 30 out of it, maybe I installed in incorrectly.

What makes Dumond Tech special? It's the longest lasting lube I've tried. Longest lasting is relative of course. Still looking for the 'cat's meow' so to speak.

Monte

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
steve3 said:
I used Ice Wax by chance and have used it ever since. I love it.
How does it compare with White Lightning?

WL worked for me for the most part, but the applictor tip clogged often and the dripped inconsistantly, so I'd often have wasted drops. Just a little frustrating when you've got a few bikes to maintain. On top of that, the drying time sometimes bit me in the arse if I procrastinated, and I'd have to revert to Tri-Flo.

Even though I feel I perfected the technique for using White Lightning and making it last, I like the mindlessness of oil based lube.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
I carry the 4 oz bottle

Homebrew said:
I carry a small 2 oz. bottle of Finishline Cross Country lube. It's messy but it's about the only thing that is going to work mid-ride. Any dry lube isn't going to have time to set up before riding again. But then again, I use a H.A.W.G pack so I carry a bunch of junk anyway (tubes, tools, food, pumps, saw, ect).

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...000008000&langId=-1&vcat=REI_SSHP_CYCLING_TOC
It's more economical that way.

I honestly don't know why people are so obsessed with shaving weight when they're just training. If anything, I would think you'd want some resistance training to build those muscles up.

I carry most of the tools I use to maintain the bike with me on the trail. There is no reason not to as long as you've got a decent pack.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have an old sample tube from triflow i think, tiny little tube, enough for a chain or 3. BTW, anyone ever boil their chain in lube? A motocross buddy of mine at work told me they place the chain in oil on the grill. Just wanna make it it works b4 I piss off the missses.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I don't carry lube.

My last chain lasted me over 1500km (good enough for me), and i'm not obsessed with cleaning/lubing my chain like some ppl are. I try to make sure everything is fine before the ride, but thats it. Actually though, on a ride last week (long and muddy) by the end of the ride my chain had no lube left. It was so dry, it was squeaking on the road section back to the van! It was really bothering me, and i wished i had lube with me. The trails i ride are usually muddy, and i don't think that any lube will keep my chain clean when the rest of my bike (as well as me) are filthy. Chain care is important, but i don't let it worry me too much.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts