Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
I talked to Kenda and they only got a small shipment last week. I managed to pick up 4 of them though. I have to find a digital scale and weight them....it will be interesting to see what they come in at. I really anxious to see how they compare to the Karma's, but it might be awhile with all the snow and freezing temperatures we are having.

Steve

·
_
850 Posts
speaking of tire weight on the kenda...i just received a new Kenda Karma L3R Pro 29x2.2 from a guy that I bought my 29er from (he agreed to send me new tire since the tire on the bike had a blown sidewall). anyhow, the packaging on the tire states it weighs 780g +/- 40g, i was reading the reviews on the tire on the tire review section, and under specs they say it weighs 526g. that is a pretty big difference, i'm not a weight weenie by anymeans, but was just curious if anyone has thrown this tire on the scale to see what it really weighs.

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
bdee said:
speaking of tire weight on the kenda...i just received a new Kenda Karma L3R Pro 29x2.2 from a guy that I bought my 29er from (he agreed to send me new tire since the tire on the bike had a blown sidewall). anyhow, the packaging on the tire states it weighs 780g +/- 40g, i was reading the reviews on the tire on the tire review section, and under specs they say it weighs 526g. that is a pretty big difference, i'm not a weight weenie by anymeans, but was just curious if anyone has thrown this tire on the scale to see what it really weighs.
The 526g is closer to the smaller karma - I think its a 2.0 - thats what I'm running on my Niner and mine were low 500 gram tires - the 2.2's I looked at were closer to 800g than what I expected so I went with some Nevegals on the other bike (which were 725g-ish...)

FF

**Edit - mine are the 1.9's

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
The 'old' 2.2 are now relabeled 2.0. There is a 'new' 2.2 that actually is 2.2 sized. It is a pig, at ~800g.
I think the 'new' 2.0 is still around 500g, though I haven't weighed one.

I got 4 Nevs, and they were all north of 800. One was 840g.

What's the weight on the SB8? They aren't suppose to be that light, are they?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
rensho said:
The 'old' 2.2 are now relabeled 2.0. There is a 'new' 2.2 that actually is 2.2 sized. It is a pig, at ~800g.
I think the 'new' 2.0 is still around 500g, though I haven't weighed one.

I got 4 Nevs, and they were all north of 800. One was 840g.

What's the weight on the SB8? They aren't suppose to be that light, are they?
Fellow MTBR member mikesee got some a short while back and reported a 602 gram average. I'd like to think that given their size it's "appreciably light".

More info;

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=253682&highlight=kenda

I want a pair. No fair, you life-less folks gotta share! :eek: :p

·
wawe member
892 Posts
bdee said:
Thanks Fast Freddy and rensho. I went to shiggy's site and saw that the tire I posted did come in a tad over 800g when he weighed it. I might give it a shot once my Nevegal DTC wears out.
The "new" Karma 2.2 is a fairly fast rolling tire for its size, has decent cush if running rigid and has great traction on hardpack. If you get into loose over hardpack or gravel it gets squirrely. No where near the traction of the Nev but does not have the rolling resistance penalty of the Nev.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
francois said:
575 grams is the spec.

That means 540 grams to 605 grams. I'll be in the hunt for the light ones. Or I'll cut some of those extra knobs :D.

fc
Oh great. Now "Mr. Connected" is going to start hording, too. :madman:

Hey Francis, if you get any that are "too heavy", hook up a skinny Canadian, eh?!!?!?! :p :D

I swear I live on the wrong side of the border.

·
Registered
385 Posts
AndrewTO said:
Oh great. Now "Mr. Connected" is going to start hording, too. :madman:

Hey Francis, if you get any that are "too heavy", hook up a skinny Canadian, eh?!!?!?! :p :D

I swear I live on the wrong side of the border.
No you live on the right side of the border! These tires will be great for Albion Hills once it dries out!

I rec'd my 4 SB8's this afternoon and I'm quite excited to mount them up. Now I just have to wait for my Industy 9's to arrive, but that could be awhile. In the meantime I'll keep rolling the Karma on my old wheelset (King/DT TK7.1) in the winter weather.

I checked the Kenda site for the weight of these tires and it says 500g (+/- 25), but the packaging shows 575g (+/- 30g). I went to go buy a digital scale but since I don't have much to weigh but the tires I decided to save my $60.

·
_
850 Posts
thanks blackBart. i'l definitely give it a shot then. i live in so. cal and the trails are pretty dry and hard packed, scattered with some rock gardens here and there. i'm on a gary fisher rig, so the cush that the karma provides will be welcomed. have you had any stans experience with the karma? i havent stanitized my nevegal yet, but did stanitize my rampage which is up front.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Hey Monkey, off topic, bt anyways. You guys have the RIP9 on your site and there are several pics. Is the pic with the TT quite a bit higher than the rocker a XL frame? I'm curious as to how the XL looks compared to the M, just because when I got my Trance all I saw was the M size on the web site, so when I got my XL it looked very different. Personally I would like the TT to not slop as much as it looks like it does on the S/M frames.

The Monkey said:
Its like vultures...
That will learn us all to have a life and not be glued to a computer all day.
I'm sure that we'll have to wait for 6 weeks before the next 20 come in.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
sperky said:
No you live on the right side of the border! These tires will be great for Albion Hills once it dries out!

I rec'd my 4 SB8's this afternoon and I'm quite excited to mount them up. Now I just have to wait for my Industy 9's to arrive, but that could be awhile. In the meantime I'll keep rolling the Karma on my old wheelset (King/DT TK7.1) in the winter weather.
Ah ha! I can help. I have a scale. I also have wheels. You could send me 2 of your tires (see? i'm not greedy) and I could not only weigh them for you, but I could also "break them in" and give them a little warm up for you. :thumbsup:

Free of charge, of course! ;)

Agreed with the AH comment. With what little riding i've done on my Dissent i've come to find many different bike traits that have me more curious about tires I had previously written-off in "The Light Side" (aka. 26er World). The SB8s are top of my list for something that falls in the range of "really f'n fast". :lol:

I just hope it'll be a combination that'll "really f'n corner", too.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Small Block 8 and Karma Weights

So I picked up a scale today and weighed all the stuff I got from Kenda (including their "lightweight" tubes. Here it is:

Tubes: 5 29er lightweight tubes ranging from 187-190g each
Karma 29er 1.9 - 603g & 608g - I am really surprised by this! I was expecting about 500g
29er Small Block 8 - 579g, 580g, 620g, & 635g. Those are some major variances, way more than identified!

Not sure what the current Karma's on my bike weigh. I guess I've answered the question I've been asking myself....which are faster? 500g Karma's or 580g SB8's? I guess the answer is the SB8's!

·
wawe member
892 Posts
bdee said:
have you had any stans experience with the karma? i havent stanitized my nevegal yet, but did stanitize my rampage which is up front.
Have not Stan'sed a larger Karma, but have done an older set of the smaller ones. Worked fine, but it helps everything seal up if you wipe the inside of the tire with some rubbing alcohol and a clean rag first. There seems to be a coating on some tires, particularly Kendas, that prevents the Stan's goop from adhering and sealing to the tire.

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
Black Bart said:
Have not Stan'sed a larger Karma, but have done an older set of the smaller ones. Worked fine, but it helps everything seal up if you wipe the inside of the tire with some rubbing alcohol and a clean rag first. There seems to be a coating on some tires, particularly Kendas, that prevents the Stan's goop from adhering and sealing to the tire.
IME Many different Kendas sealed and preformed great with Stans. The problem with 80% was when you got to 5, six months of use, the stans juices seperate the caseing from the tread. My geuss is the threads in the caseing sweel and break the bond that holds the rubber.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.