Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread has probably been done before, but hey, I didn't feel like wading through pages of archived threads to find out.

They compliment each other well. Body (and gravity) driven, scenic, and (usually) fast.

I'm content to ski in the winter and mountain bike every other season.

I would say I probably enjoy skiing more, but I've spent more than 3x as much on mountain biking equipment. Then again, if you factor in lift tickets it evens out.

Who mountain bikes and skis among us?

Oh yeah, I guess you can include snowboarding in that category. ;)

·
Registered
215 Posts
mkiv808 said:
I'm content to ski in the winter and mountain bike every other season.

I would say I probably enjoy skiing more, but I've spent more than 3x as much on mountain biking equipment. Then again, if you factor in lift tickets it evens out.
Ditto. MTB is great cross training for skiing. MTB in the off-season took my skiing to a whole new level.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Lots of backcountry skiing here. I usually go with human power, no lifts. I like to think I'm equally attached to both sports, but if I can't deny that if I had to keep only one, it would be mountain biking.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never tried XC skiing, but it certainly has less face appeal than XC biking for me.

Downhill skiing in powder is nirvana to me. I could live at the Vail back bowls. I love freeride skiing, but it can hurt. Almost really injured myself on a jump last season that I severly underestimated. I was amazed I landed it. And there was no powder to land on, just hardpack and ice. Gotta love the NE.

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Raises hand...

In addition to the alpine skiing, I like a little XC and snowshoeing as well, just to mix it up in the winter. Theres nothing else to do here in the winter if you don't ski (you can only shoot so many deer). Besides, I'm fully comped at Snowshoe for lifts and get free rentals from my shop. Comped in the summer for biking too, but never use it.

·
Adventurous Hacker
438 Posts
The only reason I took up MTB in the first place . . . .

was because I was tired of spending all summer whining that I couldn't ski.

In no time, I was equally obsessed with mountain biking--why did I wait until age 35 to take it up?

Anyway, now life's good year round!

·
Paste eater
3,722 Posts
Fischman said:
was because I was tired of spending all summer whining that I couldn't ski.

In no time, I was equally obsessed with mountain biking--why did I wait until age 35 to take it up?

Anyway, now life's good year round!
yep, MTB started as a summer thing to keep in shape for ski season... Here I am with a 2K bike and a new addiction. It might not be cheaper than drugs but at least it's healthier.

·
Life is Good
1,494 Posts
Snowboarder here. You all are a bunch of old timers ;)

Anyways, I picked it up to make the wait for mtb season less painful :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
comparisons

I love both sports, probably couldn't choose a favorite, they are both craploads of fun, good exercise and take place in the great outdoors. I've been a skier much longer than a mountain biker. Here are some things I have noticed about mtb vs. resort skiing. The techniques that I learned for skiing definitely help out in mountain biking - like weight transfer, fall line dynamics, letting the equipment work to its potential. Both about the same initial start up expense, but after that - mtb is much cheaper and more accessible. Although I don't have to go uphill under my own power, I am in much more pain after skiing. And the most important -- snow is waaaaay softer than rocks and dirt.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Started skiing and Mountain biking around the same time, though took several years off MTB'ing after breaking my wrist.

I missed most of this past season b/c of a surgery and started riding again in the spring. I'm getting equally hooked again.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.