Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
McNears-DTB Schooner
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took this picture today at one of the legendary nor cal builders shop. Does anyone have a clue as to who they are?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Wow, totally digging the bender...that is a nice old piece.

Glad to see that someone else's Golden Needle gloves are as nasty as mine :D

Love those shop pics...now what was the original question? :p

cheers,

rody

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
salsa-luma said:
Here is the legend at work...
Anyone care to guess who?
Eric- please restrain from commenting.
Wow.

That could be one of the more significant pictures to come down the line in a while.

Well done BD, thats so f'ing cool! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
McNears-DTB Schooner
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fillet-brazed said:
yep, Joe B and Monte Ward.

Im gonna guess Ross is the one welding. Didnt you just pick that frame up? Already cracked?
You hit it! I've got a lot more to share about the experience and the frame that I recently acquired.
Stand by, work is killing me right now!:mad:

·
McNears-DTB Schooner
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's the story.
Took delivery of this early '88' production s.n. #292 Ala Carte last week. Contacted my bicycle hero Ross S. about the frame to get the info. above. He mentioned that some of the early re-introduction Ala Carte frames with the lower gussets would form hairline cracks if they were ridden hard, specifically the guy who were racing them back then. I proceeded to check mine out and confirmed it did have a hairline crack at each side. (History of the frame from the original owner Troy Rauh includes: Mammoth Kamikaze '89' among other races of the era were he placed high. He mentioned Bob Roll even put some hours on it...)
So it was raced! Honestly, Salsa's are tough as nails, this one held up very well, has plenty of life left in it. The repair is "the official Salsa repair" to quote Ross. It was a pretty cool process to witness and learn from one of the masters. In fact it was a complete trip to be there in that company. Ross like some of the other local MTB greats is the most approachable, easy going and decent guy one could want to meet. I could go on and on, but the experience was so much more than words can describe. ROSS S. for PRES.!!!, yeah that's right! Yesterday was the best 'bike' experiences outside of riding I have ever had! Holy _hit what a day!!!
I have a bunch of pictures from his shop. Including a Red Bush frame. I feel they will be better placed on the "official Salsa thread" so they will go there.
Oh yeah, I should mention that I met and talked with Steve Potts when I made my stop at Mike Varley's (a.k.a. ssmike) shop on my way back south. That's right, Holy _hit!!!!

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
salsa-luma said:
Here's the story.
Took delivery of this early '88' production s.n. #292 Ala Carte last week. Contacted my bicycle hero Ross S. about the frame to get the info. above. He mentioned that some of the early re-introduction Ala Carte frames with the lower gussets would form hairline cracks if they were ridden hard, specifically the guy who were racing them back then. I proceeded to check mine out and confirmed it did have a hairline crack at each side. (History of the frame from the original owner Troy Rauh includes: Mammoth Kamikaze '89' among other races of the era were he placed high. He mentioned Bob Roll even put some hours on it...)
So it was raced! Honestly, Salsa's are tough as nails, this one held up very well, has plenty of life left in it. The repair is "the official Salsa repair" to quote Ross. It was a pretty cool process to witness and learn from one of the masters. In fact it was a complete trip to be there in that company. Ross like some of the other local MTB greats is the most approachable, easy going and decent guy one could want to meet. I could go on and on, but the experience was so much more than words can describe. ROSS S. for PRES.!!!, yeah that's right! Yesterday was the best 'bike' experiences outside of riding I have ever had! Holy _hit what a day!!!
I have a bunch of pictures from his shop. Including a Red Bush frame. I feel they will be better placed on the "official Salsa thread" so they will go there.
Oh yeah, I should mention that I met and talked with Steve Potts when I made my stop at Mike Varley's (a.k.a. ssmike) shop on my way back south. That's right, Holy _hit!!!!
That doesn't suck. :)
Hellofa day indeed!

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing more pics.

·
McNears-DTB Schooner
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The frame went from this:

To this:

Process...

Notice the radius in the gusset, gives the stress some place to go. I was given some finishing instructions and handed some sand paper, at least I could contribute...

Looking forward to this project, as it has more significance than any other project to date.

·
Hit The Road Cyclery
923 Posts
So I was TOTALLY off in my guess, although to be honest I kind of thought that the guy on the left looked like Joe Breeze... :p

Awesome story Salsa. I didn't know Ross was still making anything, but it looks like he still has the touch. I wish I could come ride with you guys this weekend so I could see it in person, but I'm leaving for a 10 day trip to Israel next week and I can't really justify $250 in gas money for a bike ride. Oh well, next time I guess.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.