Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who already have replaced the 575 for another bike? What bike have you got instead and how are liking it over the 575? What is better than the Yeti and what do you miss?

·
Banned
486 Posts
"afraid" only has one "f"...if you're going to change your signature every 1.5 days, at least spell the words right.

And if you don't like your 575, sell it and move on. How many people that sold their Yeti and went on to a new brand will be here to tell you that you are making the right decision?

You should go back to the Stallone "Cobra" avatar, or maybe even the Erik Estrada "Ponch" avatar. Or maybe even something more ghey, why don't you surprise us?

·
EDR
10,312 Posts
eyescream said:
"afraid" only has one "f"...if you're going to change your signature every 1.5 days, at least spell the words right.
That right there is quote-worthy :D

OP. FWIW I sold my old 575 and bought a new one, does that help? I pondered long and hard on buying a Knolly Endorphin, and I'm glad I didn't succumb to upgradeitis. Knolly = lots of money, more weight, lots of pivots. It's fine bike I'm sure but while I was debating I realized how fitting the 575 is (and always has been) for all the riding I do. YMMV, get what you want and don't look back.

Scream, late notice I know but you should ditch work for the morning and meet me at SoMo. See my ride post in the AZ forum.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had the old style 575 (2006), sold it and bought ellsworth epiphany...nice bike...but I already sold it and bought a 2010 575. Test rode lots of rigs and can honestly say there's a reason I'm back on the 575. They do everything right...period.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Black RONIN said:
Who already have replaced the 575 for another bike? What bike have you got instead and how are liking it over the 575? What is better than the Yeti and what do you miss?
Crisilo went with Ventana, Flip went with Turner RFX and a few went with Knolly.
I believe they all reported a stiffer ride but they all came from the old (2007 and down) design.
I'll be demoing the DW spot some time but I'm not sure that for my needs it'll justify the expense. 575 is light, climbs well, pedals fine and absorbe the trail on the techy down sections much better than any 5.5 bike I demoed. It is reported to accomodate a 150-160mm fork with great handling except for the steepest climbs. The geometry is spot on. I find it realy hard to beat the 575 and I ride a 2006 with only 130mm upfront.

·
gnuH
1,164 Posts
Sold my 07 575, bought an 08. Couldn't be happier.

When the new RFX comes out I'll consider that or the HD Mojo, but can hopefully still hold on to the 575.

·
gnuH
1,164 Posts
GreenBonty said:
I'll be demoing the DW spot some time but I'm not sure that for my needs it'll justify the expense.
I'm liking the DW Spot also, but I'm thinking the hype somewhat outweighs the price. Let us know how the demo goes.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
kiwirider said:
I'm liking the DW Spot also, but I'm thinking the hype somewhat outweighs the price. Let us know how the demo goes.
I just came back from my LBS and they can get me the demo for a full weekend but it'll take sometime.
Meanwhile here is rgeniec view from a different post:
"I am in the unique position to offer my 2Cents as I own a DW Spot and a New 575.
I made the Turner more lighter weight and light duty with smaller tires and 32mm fork as the bike is my main bike. I like the fact that you dont touch anything on the bike, just ride it and it climbs and descends well. I am however going to upgrade the shock du bushings to bearings. It seems to help as stated on the turner forum so I will let you know.

The 575 seems more all mountain capable to me. I have a 36 fork and run have found that the Marzocchi Roco tst (the one with piggyback) works the best for the bike. Like stated above I run the shock with a little less sag than the Turner and dont touch the TST knob. The 575 suspension feels like a motorcycle in the rear compared to the Turner. It can soak anything up and the Roco shock can control the bottom out with more air in the reservoir if needed. Also running same tire combo on this bike but in 2.3 size front and rear.
I have to say that I usually ride the Turner and every once in a while I will take the Yeti out thinking I should sell it as I dont ride it near enough...but after I ride it- I just fall in love all over again...there is something about it I cant explain. It has survived three main bike changes and I still have it..."

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I'm planning to get rid of my 575 frame and get an ASR-5C....but I've got my 575 setup with 120mm forks anyhow so its really a 5 already.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sold my 04 575 and 03 ASX for an 08 Turner RFX, still have the 07 ASR. The 575 and ASR were too similar and the ASX was heavy. Would have gotten a 7 instead of the turner but it took too long to actually go into production plus, I don't think it would have fit after I saw the final geometry numbers.

·
Tribe of one
111 Posts
Broke/sold the remains of the 575 frame. Got a fair price on an ASR SLc frame and moved all of the components from the 575 over. Went with the the ASR for racing purposes. Had to do the bike change mid season and was not prepared to purchase a new bike.

Gotta say next new bike will be a 29er.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
eyescream said:
Please, feel free to correct me of any mispelled words, as long as you do it politelly - what you haven't. Sometimes I can be wrong because I'm not native on english, so I really like to learn and any correction will be apreciated.

And regarding the avatar, I'm really more into blond women. But thanks for following my digital life here at MTBR.com. But I guess you had the wrong impression about me. Sorry to desapoint you, but I'm not gay. But I'm not here to judge you or anyone. I don't know you, but I do ask you to be more respectfull, because I think I haven't offended you in anyway by posting this thread or by mispelling a word.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
GreenBonty said:
Crisilo went with Ventana, Flip went with Turner RFX and a few went with Knolly.
I believe they all reported a stiffer ride but they all came from the old (2007 and down) design.
I'll be demoing the DW spot some time but I'm not sure that for my needs it'll justify the expense. 575 is light, climbs well, pedals fine and absorbe the trail on the techy down sections much better than any 5.5 bike I demoed. It is reported to accomodate a 150-160mm fork with great handling except for the steepest climbs. The geometry is spot on. I find it realy hard to beat the 575 and I ride a 2006 with only 130mm upfront.
You forgot RRB. She took one ride on my RFX (TNT) and decided to sell her 575. For her, the front end of the RFX felt stiffer/more precise (probably because it's a little slacker) and for me, it was stiffer and more precise in the rear.
She likes it

I recently built up a couple of bikes very similar (niche wise) to the 575 or ASR 5. A DB Mission Sortie (5x5) and put all our old 575 stuff on it. It was a heavier frame at 7lbs but it built up to a little bit over 27 lbs which will make it a decent Super-D and Marathon bike... I couldn't resist as it was a screaming deal at $450 for a new frame and shock... I would've ideally loved the ASR-5 carbon but at $2k more just for the frame, it was not to be...

Titus El Guapo (NOS frame) for $500. This replaced the Canfield one. Although it has less travel (it's only a 6" bike), it is stiffer than the Canfield and feels like you can FR ride. If I remember correctly, as built up (Totem Coil, 2.7 and 2.5 tires, XT/823 wheelset), she's at 33 or 34 lbs...

I still have a FRO however so we haven't completely turned in our Yeti Tribe membership card. And would love an ASR-C for the right price...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I wish sold my bike, 575 ('07) + talas 36 and buy SEVEN - unfortunately I'm so small and standover in Seven is too high.

So I'm thinking about uzzi vp

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I posted this thread just to know exactly what I asked, if someone has replaced his/her 575 for another bike, not as a personal pool to help me decide on anything. Guess I'm man enough to consider things myself, but since we're all here sharing info and opinions, I tend to respect other people experiences, and not only mine, for a wider POV.

I've seen a lot of 575 vs. other bikes threads and many posts people had moved from the 575 to that particular bike. So that motivated me to make this thread, for curiosity and maybe for those who replaced the 575 to express the reasons behind that choice. Also many are wondering if the 575 will evolve to more AM dedicated machine with Maxle rear axle, tapered steerer tube and ISCG mount, so that could be as well a good reason that people are chosing this or that bike, as we've seen discussions comparing the very ASR5 to the 575 as a better option overall, so it would be interesting know why.

I love my 575 and won't sell it for nothing, although both of my bikes are very similar, the 575 and the Mojo, but I like them for different reasons. But it is like GreenBonty said, once you ride the 575, you remember why you love riding and why you first fell in love with it.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
AussieBunyip said:
Sold my 2005 575 and building a 2009 575... btw AlexRandall, I'm curious how the 575 handles with the 120mm...?
Well, actually for me a 140mm fork feels bad - specifically I can't get weight over the front end and it feels washy. The 120 allows me to run a riser bar (just) and still feel ok. I still have to keep the front end low with a crank bros headset and 8deg stem flipped down.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts