Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 347 Posts

·
the catalan connection
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´m looking at it for too long already! It´s about time to decide...need some input and inspiration ,and maybe will get one soon.
How do you like the frame?
Is it possible to use a 100mm fork?

Thanks a lot

·
the catalan connection
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I meant a build one.

·
dispensing truthiness
88 Posts
I've got one

Actually, I've had several over the years. No digital camera though, so no pics. Will it take a 100mm fork? Yes, but the geometry will be slackened (is that even a word?) It's designed to have an 80ish fork for 71°/73°. The current frame is Reynolds 853, but previous years have been 725, True Temper OX Platinum, and Tange Prestige (which were all good too). As for the fit, the top tubes are short, so you may need to go up a size from what you'd ride from a different company.

I have a 2003 frame in 18.5" that's never been built up that I may be selling if you're interested.

·
sh*t disturber
348 Posts
That's the sweetest Blizz ever....

I drooled over one hanging in the Rocky LBS here in town. "Kenny" made a move on it soon after. Some day I'll get me one. My Hammer will have to do for now.

·
artistic...
7,603 Posts
18.5 blizzard. hmmm...

Wilco said:
Actually, I've had several over the years. No digital camera though, so no pics. Will it take a 100mm fork? Yes, but the geometry will be slackened (is that even a word?) It's designed to have an 80ish fork for 71°/73°. The current frame is Reynolds 853, but previous years have been 725, True Temper OX Platinum, and Tange Prestige (which were all good too). As for the fit, the top tubes are short, so you may need to go up a size from what you'd ride from a different company.

I have a 2003 frame in 18.5" that's never been built up that I may be selling if you're interested.
details($)? email me. shipping may be troublesome though but... i like the blizzard

·
the catalan connection
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Wilco, but I have this location problem....

..I live in Spain. Much hassle to ship a bike from where you are, and expensive too, you know? If you where at least somewhere in Europe I´m sure we´d make deals(I believed you were Euro by lookin at your avatar, that´s Eduard Munch´s "Scream" right?

Well,if the deal is reeaaally good I coud pay for getting it shipped..mmmm

BTW: Will RM ever stop swapping black and white around?Now I like more the 03 !!

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
here's mine although she's a bit different now since I have been SS'ing on it for about a year now. I run a 100mm fork with no problem at all (the ht slack actually seems to suit the frame very well. I use this bike for trail riding, park riding, and even some bmx. Great geometry, awesome feel and really responsive. No doubt the best bike I have owned. I am using RF Turbines now too which make the ride a bit stiff (at least better power transfer). Enjoy !

Attachments

·
dispensing truthiness
88 Posts
Yes, it is "The Scream", but...

What&son said:
..I live in Spain. Much hassle to ship a bike from where you are, and expensive too, you know? If you where at least somewhere in Europe I´m sure we´d make deals(I believed you were Euro by lookin at your avatar, that´s Eduard Munch´s "Scream" right?

Well,if the deal is reeaaally good I coud pay for getting it shipped..mmmm

BTW: Will RM ever stop swapping black and white around?Now I like more the 03 !!
Yes it is "The Scream", but I'm in North America so I think the shipping would be too expensive for it to be much of a deal. I'm sure that a bike store over there could order one for you. Rocky Mountain's website lists this as their distributor for Spain:

Techtools S.L.
Phone: 34-93-452-1618
Email: [email protected]

·
the catalan connection
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, sure I can order one over here.It retails for 800 euros...

...this is 1000 usd,and would get it in a couple of weeks (please don´t tell me for how much you get it over there or I´ll get sick) .The pity is that at the RM distributor I went didn´t have a single Blizzard to see.They confessed they don´t have it there becouse they don´t sell it..nobody is willing to pay that much for a near 2kg steel frame, nobody but me :eek: Well, their comments not only didn´t discouraged me but raised my appetite for the thing.I´ll be the only freak in the whole city, and maybe the whole country riding that beauty!

800 euros.. ouch!

·
dispensing truthiness
88 Posts
Ouch is right!

What&son said:
...this is 1000 usd,and would get it in a couple of weeks (please don´t tell me for how much you get it over there or I´ll get sick) .The pity is that at the RM distributor I went didn´t have a single Blizzard to see.They confessed they don´t have it there becouse they don´t sell it..nobody is willing to pay that much for a near 2kg steel frame, nobody but me :eek: Well, their comments not only didn´t discouraged me but raised my appetite for the thing.I´ll be the only freak in the whole city, and maybe the whole country riding that beauty!

800 euros.. ouch!
Wow, that's a lot of $. Since you asked me not to, I won't tell you what they go for here but it is considerably less than $1000 US.

Isn't there someone over there who makes a comparable steel frame? If not, maybe in the UK?

·
the catalan connection
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, really much $$..I´would look like the guy in your avatar...

...if the frame finally wouldn´t live up to the expectations.
I´ve been cheking UK sites, not much .They have distribution of some brands we don´t have here so I could see some Salsa aLa Carte frames(very expensive too)..Maybe I should do some research on custom builders, since no brand offers a high end steel frame here anymore.Actually, my brother rides a custom Tange ultralite steel frame made here, but I don´t like it that much...pretty light though=1.9 kg..mmmm....

Don´t tell the RM freaks over here but I´m negotiating a Kona 2003 Explosif through my LBS...maybe they can get me a naked frame from the distributor..and a pretty nice deal I hope !

I´ll keep you informed if you want.

Hey! Any suggestions of nice steel UK made frames are very wellcome!

Thanks

·
dispensing truthiness
88 Posts
Speaking of Tange Ultralight...

I had a Rocky Mountain Altitude that was made from Tange Ultralight... it was a lighter frame (by about 200g), but the Reynolds 853 frames are stronger.

The '03 Kona Explosif is a nice frame too. It's very similar to the Blizzard, but with a slightly longer top tube. For example, the 18" Explosif (2003) has a 23" top tube, and the 18.5" Blizzard has a 22.8".

The '04 Explosif has interchangeable dropouts, so that you can run it with gears and a derailleur or as a single speed.

There are some UK mountain bike message boards that you could go to and ask about steel frames that are made there. I don't know the names of any of those sites so you'd have to google it.

1 - 20 of 347 Posts