Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Waiting to exhale.
Joined
·
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is whitting ranch in good condition to ride after all this rain? Is it too dangerous to ride alone?
 

·
Waiting to exhale.
Joined
·
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
frankenbike said:
When you say "too dangerous to ride alone", are you referring to the mountain lion attacks and death there?
I mean, I have not been there in over 7 months. I don't remember some parts of the trail and I don't remember if its easy to get lost or not. Some familiar trails have lost their familiarity because of the rain. I have been riding the desert lately and have seen WAY TOO MANY rattle snakes! If I get bit, I am pretty much dead if I ride alone. I really don't like riding alone but, it is the only way if I am to feed my single track addiction.

Whenever I am alone I am not as confident in technical or fast situations and therefore its not as fun. I also figure if I am with someone I have a better chance of NOT getting eaten by a friggin lion. I just hope there are some other riders there tomorrow morning so maybe I can tag along. :(
 

·
Over the Hill
Joined
·
1,769 Posts
I stay away from the OC County Parks on the weekends due to the crowds. I ride alone 95% of the time, including night rides. I do agree on not taking risky moves in technical terrains when alone.

They will be many people riding and hiking in Whitting tomorrow AM. My plan is to do 3 peaks Chilao Loop tomorrow.

Smokey, as close as you live to Big Bear and Angeles Oaks (SART) I would be up there. Last week I rode Fawnskin, patchy snow; Grout Bay Singletract and Cougar Crest Trail should be totaly snow free real soon. Some of the fireroads have major storm damage...so the 4-wheeler crowd is not out there.
 

·
Action Sports Trader
Joined
·
389 Posts
Smokey is soft

wow,

Smokey, back in the day you were tough. You would talk about eating lions and snakes. What happed?

SMOKEY said:
I mean, I have not been there in over 7 months. I don't remember some parts of the trail and I don't remember if its easy to get lost or not. Some familiar trails have lost their familiarity because of the rain. I have been riding the desert lately and have seen WAY TOO MANY rattle snakes! If I get bit, I am pretty much dead if I ride alone. I really don't like riding alone but, it is the only way if I am to feed my single track addiction.

Whenever I am alone I am not as confident in technical or fast situations and therefore its not as fun. I also figure if I am with someone I have a better chance of NOT getting eaten by a friggin lion. I just hope there are some other riders there tomorrow morning so maybe I can tag along. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
981 Posts
samanderson4 said:
wow,

Smokey, back in the day you were tough. You would talk about eating lions and snakes. What happed?
Ha, I remember those old fiery Smokey post. I recall one a good one when Smokey let this poster have it for knocking on some "Japanese" looking rider who had an unleashed dog on Fullerton Loop. Smokey put him in his place after a post about "going back to where you came from".
 

·
Waiting to exhale.
Joined
·
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sammyanderson,:D
You still around? I don't think I ever said anything about eating lions and snakes or anything about a japanese looking person. I suggest you guys re-read those old posts, being that you are so concerned with what I say, You might as well get it right. ;)

Not soft, just smart. If I get hurt on the trail someone will help. If I am with someone who gets hurt, I will help them. It just makes sense. Being "hard" only goes so far.... Then you cross over the line into stupidity. If (you) others like to live stupid, go right ahead. I'll still be hard.

sammy, if you still got issues with me putting you in your place long ago, let it go bro.... let it go. If you can't, HIT ME UP.
 

·
Action Sports Trader
Joined
·
389 Posts
Relax

Just relax,

I just got used to the old angry smokey.
SMOKEY said:
Sammyanderson,:D
You still around? I don't think I ever said anything about eating lions and snakes or anything about a japanese looking person. I suggest you guys re-read those old posts, being that you are so concerned with what I say, You might as well get it right. ;)

Not soft, just smart. If I get hurt on the trail someone will help. If I am with someone who gets hurt, I will help them. It just makes sense. Being "hard" only goes so far.... Then you cross over the line into stupidity. If (you) others like to live stupid, go right ahead. I'll still be hard.

sammy, if you still got issues with me putting you in your place long ago, let it go bro.... let it go. If you can't, HIT ME UP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
SMOKEY said:
Is whitting ranch in good condition to ride after all this rain? Is it too dangerous to ride alone?
It's a bid trickier than before, a lot of water crossing and some ruts, one section downhill from the 4 corner got totally washed out. Just the change of landscape, nothing big that will make it more dangerous.The only scary senario are those slick rocks, they are everywhere now.
 

·
Waiting to exhale.
Joined
·
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah dude,
I rode it on sunday. I was not too impressed. For some reason I remember it being a little more challenging. I started at cooks corner rode up behind the stables and I accidentally rode down sage brush trail which happens to be closed. oops. I did not remember all the names that where listed as being closed at the gate. That trail sucked ass. Big giant rut that I had to try and ride down the whole entire time. It was totally overgrown and no fun at all. My pedals kept getting caught on the sides of the rut, it was that deep. then I just randomly rode trails that I found. Mustard was cool going up and down. I enjoyed the stream crossings and the rocks. That was about the only technical stuff I found that day. I bonked pretty hard, no lunch ( like an idiot ) and not enough water for the heat. overall I can't say that I would go back. Not much technical riding. Perhaps I rode the wrong trails?

PS. I noticed that the hikers on those trails seem to have a under their breath hate for people on bikes. I said Hello to everyone I saw and stopped and dismounted my bike and stood to the side and let every pedestrian walk by..... no one said Hi or thanks, even though I usually said hi how are you to them. ? ? ? ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
No Kidding Mon

SMOKEY said:
Yeah dude,
I rode it on sunday. I was not too impressed. For some reason I remember it being a little more challenging. I started at cooks corner rode up behind the stables and I accidentally rode down sage brush trail which happens to be closed. oops. I did not remember all the names that where listed as being closed at the gate. That trail sucked ass. Big giant rut that I had to try and ride down the whole entire time. It was totally overgrown and no fun at all. My pedals kept getting caught on the sides of the rut, it was that deep. then I just randomly rode trails that I found. Mustard was cool going up and down. I enjoyed the stream crossings and the rocks. That was about the only technical stuff I found that day. I bonked pretty hard, no lunch ( like an idiot ) and not enough water for the heat. overall I can't say that I would go back. Not much technical riding. Perhaps I rode the wrong trails?

PS. I noticed that the hikers on those trails seem to have a under their breath hate for people on bikes. I said Hello to everyone I saw and stopped and dismounted my bike and stood to the side and let every pedestrian walk by..... no one said Hi or thanks, even though I usually said hi how are you to them. ? ? ? ?
I started noticing that around where I ride too here in Ventura county. I think sometimes it's the newbie riders and dumb arses who just fly thru singletrack without looking into corners for hikers or horses that cause this attitude. I actually like the guys on horses because I find them nicer than some the militant hikers. But, then I again, I shouldn't stereotype. Many hikers actually give me the right of way even when I dismount to let them thru. So much for my generalizations
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top