Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two free days at Whitefish Mountain bike park and two free days at Schweitzer bike park. However, I’m contemplating spending all four days riding around Whitefish, adding two trail days to the park days.

Would you split up the time between both places or spend the entire time at Whitefish?

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Whitefish. The lower Basin DH trails are partially closed - these are the ones down to valley. The upper lift served trails are thrash and chunk and not very fun at all. The upper mtn xc trails are fun but not really served by the lifts. There's lots of fun non-ski hill riding in the area. Now , if you said "Silver Mt" instead of Schweitzer, I'd say go for it. Having ridden Whitefish Mtn several times tho, I don't think there's 4 days worth of riding there.

·
Registered
18,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whitefish. The lower Basin DH trails are partially closed - these are the ones down to valley. The upper lift served trails are thrash and chunk and not very fun at all. The upper mtn xc trails are fun but not really served by the lifts. There's lots of fun non-ski hill riding in the area. Now , if you said "Silver Mt" instead of Schweitzer, I'd say go for it. Having ridden Whitefish Mtn several times tho, I don't think there's 4 days worth of riding there.
You're referring to four days at the bike park, right? I only have passes for two days there so I'd spend the other two days trail riding outside of the park.

I went to Silver last year and totally enjoyed it but I'm looking for some new places. I was wanting to use up my free passes but if Schweitzer isn't all that great then I won't waste my time.

Thanks for your help, formica!

·
Registered
18,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nat, I'm not a bike park guy at all, but I rode a few laps at WFM yesterday.

Get ready for braking bumps!
Thanks for the update. I work under the assumption all bike parks will have braking bumps by mid-season if not year-round. Did you like it otherwise? Is it rocky? The videos I've seen don't show too much in the way of rocks.

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
Thanks for the update. I work under the assumption all bike parks will have braking bumps by mid-season if not year-round. Did you like it otherwise? Is it rocky? The videos I've seen don't show too much in the way of rocks.
Like formica says below, not rocky except Runaway Train.

For my tastes, most of the trails are a bit steeper than ideal, right down the fall line, so you're on the brakes a lot.

·
Registered
18,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got back from my trip. I ended up spending three days in Whitefish followed by three days in Fernie. I had originally planned to hit Schweitzer today on the way home but it wasn’t open yet so instead I kept driving and rode a couple of laps at Beacon Hill in Spokane. All three places were a blast! Thanks for helping out.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Just had a good friend confirm that Schweitzer DH trails are still total **** and not worth the ticket price. They are doing a nice job with xc trails up there but the DH trails were terrible when they put them in for NORBA years ago and they haven't been touched since.

·
Registered
18,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just had a good friend confirm that Schweitzer DH trails are still total **** and not worth the ticket price. They are doing a nice job with xc trails up there but the DH trails were terrible when they put them in for NORBA years ago and they haven't been touched since.
I'm glad I skipped it then. Beacon Hill is a total gem though. I wish I could've spent all day there but I had to hit the road. A kindly local by the name of Alex towed me down Blastoff, after which I went down Bomber (at least I think it was Bomber. Maybe it was Kickass). There were so many line options there so it was hard to pick. Some of the lines are deceptive, and from the approach look like a small step-down or roller but then you get to the lip and see that it's mandatory air or a hefty road gap, lol. I liked the wood features too.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Come back when we've had some rain. And ya, don't go off or over *anything* there unless 1. you check it out first or 2. you are with someone who knows and will tell you, "mandatory air" or "all roll able". There is some big stuff up there.
Glad you had fun. That's my regular roll.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.