Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is right where you enter trail # 24 "The Old Downhill" This was used in the old NORBA races at Whiteface in the late 1990's.

I had to take this one of my new Glory at the start of the single-track on upper 24:

This is also right from the start of 24. Looks easy or I just suck because it's hard!:

This is still 1450 vertical above the base area.I hung out until I saw a rider. This is just above the new boardwalk you'll see in the next pictures:

Here is one of a rider just entering the woods on the new boardwalk:

Just a close up of the new feature. this area at the start would erode each year. I think this was a good fix:

Another close up of new feature on trail 24. The ski trail you see in the background on the right was used for the downhill in the 1980 Winter Olympics.:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually on weekends we have free guided tours at 1:00 pm and 4:00 pm. Daily at 4:00 pm for a few years now. However, the way we have the trail marked and our advice in the shop makes it super easy to navigate around this big mountain.
DHM

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whiteface was the mountain used in the 1980 Winter Olympics so you know it's got to be big. 3,430' in the winter and 2,476' vertical in the summer.
7:36 was the winning time in last years 5 K DH.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
downhill mike said:
7:36 was the winning time in last years 5 K DH.
That is also a very fast pro rider doing it in that time. Mike correct me if I am worng, if you took an average from all race times would it be about 9:30+?

Funny story about the size of whiteface, A few years back I was up at the mountain with my wife for the first time, she was hanging at the bottom and wanted to go to town, my friend and I told her we would take TWO more runs and then we could go. Well about ONE HOUR later we got to the bottom and she was pissed!! saying "you took 4 or 5 runs!!!" We did only take 2 runs, it just takes that long to get down :thumbsup: fast lift too

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sure if you want to blast the race course a good rider can do it 10 minutes or so but for friends riding together at an expert pace figure 12 minutes up and 25 to 30 minutes of just riding down.
We had a great group today of awesome riders. Just came from Highland, recently flew back from Whistler and they did 3 or 4 runs today, surprised at how long and technical the trails are.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great riding with you guys today! I was hoping you guys got a chance to get 1 more run in after the tour we did. Matt is amazing and will certainly become a great rider. He was doing great on the upper mountain and I think you said Matt is 10 years old.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looks great Mike. I brought up the big group of guys in mid-August last year from the Philly area and people are still talking about it. My travel budget is shot right now and work is too busy but a few guys are planning on heading back sometime soon to enjoy your latest work.

·
Registered
42 Posts
downhill mike said:
Great riding with you guys today! I was hoping you guys got a chance to get 1 more run in after the tour we did. Matt is amazing and will certainly become a great rider. He was doing great on the upper mountain and I think you said Matt is 10 years old.
Mike, we appreciate the tour and the time you took with us.
We had a blast.
Great operation you have going there.
Keep up the hard work!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.