Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a trip up to the Adirondacks with some buddies in August. We're staying at my family's place in North Creek but will probably make the drive up to the Whiteface area for a half-day of riding. What is a better use of that time - Flume/Hardy Road in Wilmington or Pisgah/Dewey in Saranac Lake? We are all decent trail/XC riders but definitely not looking for DH stuff like Whiteface. Any local knowledge or insight is appreciated!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I was just visiting family in that area and rode hardy for the first time in almost 5 years. and it is a great time chunky in spots but has some great flow. there are also a few spots with sizable drops if you are looking to bottom out your suspension.

I have also heard very good things about Otis mt, and blueberry trails in Elizabeth town.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ride the ski bowl right in North Creek. The Hub at Brant Lake. Garnet Hill has trails. Gurney Lane. you'll never drive more than 30 minutes from North Creek.
That's definitely all part of the plan but I've ridden all those spots (except The Hub) and want to check out something new. Seems like Wilmington or Saranac Lake are the next closest good options.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'm heading up to whiteface/wilmington area also, with the family this summer. This sounds like a useful thread. Looking for some magic...

Hoping to find a vrbo or airbnb that "happens" to be trailside or close, for some quick getaway rides.
Water feature, river, lake, whatever in walking distance on on-property would be sweet for the fam.
Decent/acceptable driving distance to the likes of Olympic village, Wilmington, Ausable Chasm would tie it all together.

What's out there?
Thanks

·
hello pot? this is kettle
257 Posts
That's definitely all part of the plan but I've ridden all those spots (except The Hub) and want to check out something new. Seems like Wilmington or Saranac Lake are the next closest good options.
Yeah, after re-reading your post it seems I committed that most heinous of interwebs faux-pas and posted something that has nothing to do with the question you asked. My bad. In an effort to make amends I can say that The Hub is worth it, and enjoyably technical in the classic way. No crazy drops or impossible stuff, just a nice mix of things that keep you on your toes. Climb up- loop the couple trails at the top, descend on the trail you climbed. Drink beer.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Planning a trip up to the Adirondacks with some buddies in August. We're staying at my family's place in North Creek but will probably make the drive up to the Whiteface area for a half-day of riding. What is a better use of that time - Flume/Hardy Road in Wilmington or Pisgah/Dewey in Saranac Lake? We are all decent trail/XC riders but definitely not looking for DH stuff like Whiteface. Any local knowledge or insight is appreciated!
IMO, definitely Wilmington area.

For a longer day hit Hardy Road trails first, then the Flume trails. Flume Trails have some great new stuff higher up on the mountain, but can be tough to find. Lately I've been riding it from the lesser known trailhead on Resivoir Road, off the backside of Whiteface.

At the end of the ride be sure to hit the cliff dive, swimming hole, right across the highway from the main, lower Flume trailhead area.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am currently in Wilmington and have a question about the Upper Connector trail. Are you still permitted to enter Whiteface to continue on that trail? Also, what is the preferred path to take on the Flume trails? My son and I are novice riders, so nothing too technical. I am using Trail Forks app, which is great, but doesn't show you which direction to travel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.