Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:nono: Just so all of you know, whatever genius at MBAA decided to run the White Tanks backwards hopefully meant that just for the race and not for everyday riding. I'm sure there are some out there that feel the need to pre-ride it backwards, well please don't! Also, don't take it upon yourself to remove rocks and boulders from the trail to make it easier for you. Its hard enough to explain to the people riding horses that they are going the wrong direction when they see mountain bikers doing it too! To put it as nicely as possible, if you suck and can't ride the trail the way it is, then maybe you should trade in you mountain bike for a beach cruiser and ride around your neighborhood.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
"Race will be run in counter - clockwise direction (We got permission to run the course backwards. Pre-riding the course backwards will be possible starting on January 3. PLEASE DO NOT RIDE THE COURSE BACKWARDS BEFORE THEN!!)"

mbaa

·
Salty Dog
366 Posts
Wow, that should be an interesting race. We did McDowell Mountain Park comp track in reverse direction last year and it was lots of fun. The climb up to the switchbacks should be a challenge, although short, and the switchbacks going down will be a hoot.

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
when will the race take place?

i was thinking of posting a c-ride out there for 1/10, but won't if racers are pre-riding the course backwards or forwards!!

·
Salty Dog
366 Posts
Race information

kaboose said:
when will the race take place?

i was thinking of posting a c-ride out there for 1/10, but won't if racers are pre-riding the course backwards or forwards!!
Race is on Saturday, January 17th.

You can count on lots of activity with pre-riding on the 10th and 11th, and it will be counter-clockwise.

No reason to cancel a C ride, however. Just be prepared for other riders.

Most of the racers are pretty good people and watch for slower folks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was there Saturday studying the route, thinking about what line to take, etc. the stairs in the first technical section going reverse will be interesting esp. with other riders. The switchbacks (second technical section) going down with the scratchy, loose gravel, tight turns couple with riders and hike-a-bikers may be a ‘interesting’ (or worst) scenario as well.

I did notice that the trail has been worked on, smoothed over in some areas. Perhaps the reworking was necessary to create a ride able trail, counter-clock wise. I was not happy to see that. Because when the trail returns to the clock-wise status it’s may be less challenging and fun.

Thinking back, I wish I spent more time at White Tanks studying the trails. For those of you who have rode the white tanks dozens of times before may want to pre-ride it, it’s a different trail.

Good luck :thumbsup:

·
Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
859 Posts
IT will be a different course than ever before, but I too am very concerned that idiots will make ramps, cut trail and chop rocks to make it smoother and more ridable counter clockwise. Keep the trail the way it is, if you can't ride it walk it, if you refuse to walk it and can't ride it then don't do it at all and leave it the way it is for the rest of us who enjoys a challenge and not a smooth groomed cannal trail. If left alone there will be four sections where most racers will be forced to hike/run but they are very short and you can be back on the bike quick. Bad enough some no talent person cut a path to the left of the rock drop after the switchback years back and added a ramp so the drop is now a rolling platform. as I said, if you can't or refuse to learn to do it then ride a road bike.

·
Salty Dog
366 Posts
Trail work....

TacoBeer said:
IT will be a different course than ever before, but I too am very concerned that idiots will make ramps, cut trail and chop rocks to make it smoother and more ridable counter clockwise. Keep the trail the way it is, if you can't ride it walk it, if you refuse to walk it and can't ride it then don't do it at all and leave it the way it is for the rest of us who enjoys a challenge and not a smooth groomed cannal trail. If left alone there will be four sections where most racers will be forced to hike/run but they are very short and you can be back on the bike quick. Bad enough some no talent jerks cut a path to the left of the rock drop after the switchback years back and added a ramp so the drop is now a rolling platform. as I said, if you can't or refuse to learn to do it then ride a road bike.
I certainly agree and share your attitude about difficulty of trail for mountain biking. However, what I am seeing on my trail building and maintenance projects is the large mix of users, including some hiker folks who feel they need to sanitize a trail, thus making it smooth and easy to walk on. Not sure why they do that when there are SO MANY miles of walking trails, but it happens.

Also, there are some places where erosion is wiping out trails or doing significant damage to the landscape around the trails, and waterbars or drainage 'pans' are needed. Unfortunately not everyone working on a trail knows how to create these tools and leave the trail in a more natural state.

I think the 'ramp' on the northwest corner of the tech section was created by casual trail riders so they don't have to get off and walk their bike since they aren't advanced enough to just jump it, which is easiest.

We need to keep in mind that most of the trail users are NOT advanced riders, but they are working on getting there.

My pet peeve is the folks who make an 'easy' trail around a tech section, instead of either walking the bike or learning how to ride through it. When I see a spider trail like this I normally take the time to block it on both ends with rocks, trees, or something big enough it can't be ridden over.

Just some thoughts..

·
Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
859 Posts
I understand but I wasn't talking about fixing a trail that needs it due to erosion, just parts of a trail that should stay as it always was instead of making it rideable for those who choose to make a trail easy for them. Such as you said about spider trails around an easy part. lots of this happens on Trail 100 but I think some of it was simplified by so called mountain bikers because they could not ride it. These are the people who never get better or challenge themselves, they would rather screw up a trail for thier own use ruining it for most others than to learn and practice till they get good or skilled enough to do it. But as for White tanks, it's easy enough as it is and should not be made easier because a few don't want to walk a 5 second section. As for the opening statement about the horses, this trail is called a competitive track, and people are warned about the trail being in reverse for this short time so if a horse rider is complaining they can ride elswhere till it's over.

·
Registered
544 Posts
This is nothing new, when they first started racing out there in the early to mid nineties, they ran the course clockwise for a couple of seasons, then to mix it up they ran it counter-clockwise! Everyone freaked out then at first also, but it was fun and different!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you kidding me?!! I rode the White Tanks yesterday and I would like to thank all the posers out there that have just ruined the trail by taking out rocks and smoothing the trail over. I'm sure it is nice and easy for you to ride for your little race, but when you go back to riding your road bike next week the rest of us MOUNTAIN BIKERS now have to ride the trail that has been made less fun and easy by your 'trail work'.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Hose Dragger said:
Are you kidding me?!! I rode the White Tanks yesterday and I would like to thank all the posers out there that have just ruined the trail by taking out rocks and smoothing the trail over. I'm sure it is nice and easy for you to ride for your little race, but when you go back to riding your road bike next week the rest of us MOUNTAIN BIKERS now have to ride the trail that has been made less fun and easy by your 'trail work'.
Ride Goat Camp XC.

·
Salty Dog
366 Posts
Interesting perspective...

Hose Dragger said:
I rode White Tanks today. Yep, there are some places that have dirt where you will slide off if not careful, but those same sections have rocks on the uphill side of the trail where you can get some traction and then have to pull the bars up for the next set of rocks. I stopped several places in the tech section and looked back. Sure seems to be the same course as a couple months ago when we raced it clockwise.

Just curious, do you have any information on who the trail workers are that might have 'smoothed' out the course and removed rocks?

Also, I have a road bike hanging the garage. I do trail building and maintenance and I am a MOUNTAIN BIKER.

Will you be racing this weekend?

Tommy

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hose Dragger said:
I raced out there in November and rode today in reverse. I understand if the lines have been changed due to everyone pre riding over the last week, but nothing to freak out about. I didnt notice that much "smoothing out".

Many people that ride "dont go back to road bike riding" except that some that use road bike for training purposes. There are many bikers racing that are solely mountain bikers, me for one.

Maybe you should come out and race. Looks like you need a little mountain bike racer bonding time.

Brit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am not saying that all XC racers are road bikers, I am saying that most likely the ones taking it upon themselves to do 'trail work' are making the trail so easy I could ride a road bike on it. You might as well pave the trail. And I rode it clockwise the other day and this morning and I guarantee that it is a different trail, much easier because of the rocks removed and smoothed out dirt. And yes some of the destruction is from people sliding through corners riding it counter-clockwise, but the fact remains people are doing unauthorized trail work to benefit themselves. There are some of us who ride this trail a few times a week and have done so for years and hate to see these things happen. And for your information, I have nothing against XC racing in fact I used to race and owned a road bike. I just don't enjoy that type of racing anymore, I prefer gravity events now. I don't mean to sound like an [email protected]$hole about it because I want nothing more than people to go out and ride and enjoy the sport of cycling, it just sucks when instead of practicing and getting better through a technical section that they might have to walk through for a while, they just change the trail to their liking without any regard for anyone else. So enough for my little rant, I just had to get that off my chest and good luck everyone at the race and most importantly have fun and be safe.

·
Salty Dog
366 Posts
Thanks for your thoughtful response. I appreciate it. I still don't know how it is that you know of XC racers being those who most likely are moving rocks. I guess you must have seen someone doing that at one time or another.

I guess it would be akin to me thinking that all firefighters pick gravel out of the tires on their ladder trucks, eh? "A clean fire truck is a happy fire truck".

Enjoy your rides, smooth and fast as they may have to be.

Tommy

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.